Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 22 Apr 20, 11:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Kidd McFluff
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile Somewhere cool to visit between Orlando and Anna Maria Island area?

I'm looking for somewhere cool to stay for one night. Somewhere between WDW and Anna Maria Island. We are planning the trip to end all trips in August 21 (having had to cancel all 2020 holidays) and need a cool stopover. (essentially to save us the cost of another night at The Yacht Club).

We'd like to stay somewhere funky, unusual or downright bonkers just for one night. It'll need to be within a couple of hours of WDW so that we can make it there early afternoon. Somewhere in the middle of nowhere would be great. (As long as it has a bar and food)

Where would you suggest?
Kidd McFluff is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 20, 06:25 AM  
Link to this Post
disneywiseowl
VIP Dibber

disneywiseowl's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Sorry, I don’t understand why you need to stay overnight enroute as it’s only about a 2 to 2 1/2 hrs drive?

Longer in rush hour of course. 🙁
disneywiseowl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 20, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Simon & Suzann
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Kidd McFluff View Post
I'm looking for somewhere cool to stay for one night. Somewhere between WDW and Anna Maria Island. We are planning the trip to end all trips in August 21 (having had to cancel all 2020 holidays) and need a cool stopover. (essentially to save us the cost of another night at The Yacht Club).

We'd like to stay somewhere funky, unusual or downright bonkers just for one night. It'll need to be within a couple of hours of WDW so that we can make it there early afternoon. Somewhere in the middle of nowhere would be great. (As long as it has a bar and food)

Where would you suggest?
Myakka river state park and stay in a log cabin there?
Its sort of en route to AMI but the little detour would be worth it. Esp a visit to Deep Hole early the next morning.
Simon & Suzann is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 20, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Kidd McFluff
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by disneywiseowl View Post
Sorry, I don’t understand why you need to stay overnight enroute as it’s only about a 2 to 2 1/2 hrs drive?

Longer in rush hour of course. 🙁
Let me explain with a little more detail... We know the distances between WDW and Anna Maria Island so of course the journey isn't a problem. We only need 6 days at Disney and our week at Anna Maria Island is Saturday to Saturday (07/08 - 14/08) We are planning on doing Disney from 31/07 to 06/08 so we will need to stay somewhere on the night of 06/08 before we head over to Anna Maria Island...

What we'd like to do is travel to somewhere cool for a night. An extra night at Disney would cost us around £800 so we would rather spend the money on something new or exciting.

The trip is probably going to look something like this...

24/07 Flights to Florida (Probably MCO) Stay at Hyatt MCO
25/07 Drive to Naples set off 8 am - Settle into Villa
26/07 Naples
27/07 Naples -
28/07 Naples - Eco Tour with Double R's
29/07 Naples
30/07 Naples
31/07 Yacht Club
01/08 Yacht Club
02/08 Yacht Club
03/08 Yacht Club
04/08 Yacht Club
05/08 Yacht Club
06/08 Somewhere cool. We hope to arrive here at around 3pm so that we can take advantage of our Disney tickets in the morning.
07/08 Anna Maria Island
08/08 Anna Maria Island
09/08 Anna Maria Island
10/08 Anna Maria Island
11/08 Anna Maria Island
12/08 Anna Maria Island
13/08 Anna Maria Island
14/08 WDW then Fly Home From MCO 7pm flight.

I hope this helps explain why we are looking.

Idea's for a good stopover would be much appreciated.
Kidd McFluff is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 20, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Kidd McFluff
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Simon & Suzann View Post
Myakka river state park and stay in a log cabin there?
Its sort of en route to AMI but the little detour would be worth it. Esp a visit to Deep Hole early the next morning.
That sounds cool. I'll have a look. This is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping people would tell me about. Something off the beaten track that I probably wouldn't find without a tip off.

Thanks
Old 23 Apr 20, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
JohnD
VIP Dibber

Have a look at the Hotel Indigo in Sarasota combined with a trip to Ca d'Zan (ringling/ca-dzan) and its circus museum and art museums.

It is hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead.
JohnD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 20, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Kidd McFluff
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
Have a look at the Hotel Indigo in Sarasota combined with a trip to Ca d'Zan (ringling/ca-dzan) and its circus museum and art museums.
That sounds like fun. Off to check it out on Google. Thanks
Old 23 Apr 20, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
JohnD
VIP Dibber

From the hotel, it's less than a 10 minute drive to St Armands circle for breakfast at the Blue Dolphin cafe and a further 5 minutes to the Mote Aquarium (mote/). You can follow SR 789 up to Anna Maria from there without having to go back onto the mainland.

It is hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead.
JohnD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 20, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
SnowWhite
Apprentice Imagineer

I'd love to stay at this place, it's about 12 km from Busch Gardens but them park aside it seems idillic
homeaway/p1513563vb?noDates=true
SnowWhite is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 20, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post
disneywiseowl
VIP Dibber

disneywiseowl's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
How about Lakeland? Bout halfway to Anna Maria. It has an Historic District, Circle Bar B ranch & the Silver Moon Drive in cinema - fun experience if you’ve never been to one & very cheap! Lots of hotels in the area.
disneywiseowl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List