Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 9 May 20, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Originally Posted by skalexander View Post
I’ve been following this thread with interest, but I have a question which is going to sound really ignorant.

Many of you have done trips to Yellowstone, Utah, New England and the southern states. What did you fill your time with, apart from travelling? What is there to do? I appreciate there’s loads to see
We’ve done a number of road trips - all my trip reports are in my signature. We like lots of outdoorsy stuff, so we’ve done a lot of hiking and exploring, interspersed with other stuff - museums, theme parks, pottering around. We do a lot of planning and have a good idea of what we’ll do beforehand. We love it.

I love reading other peoples trip reports as well.
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 20, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by CrispyA View Post
We’ve done a number of road trips - all my trip reports are in my signature. We like lots of outdoorsy stuff, so we’ve done a lot of hiking and exploring, interspersed with other stuff - museums, theme parks, pottering around. We do a lot of planning and have a good idea of what we’ll do beforehand. We love it.

I love reading other peoples trip reports as well.
Thank you for commenting. I've been reading your trip reports over the last few days - I've finished Texas and the Deep South, and just reading the Rockies. We wouldn't be able to do trips as long as yours, maybe 16 nights max, but its given me a really good insight and ideas for future trips.
Old 23 May 20, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post
porridge
Apprentice Imagineer

We did a great road trip about 5 years ago. Georgia/North Carolina/Tennessee. Flew into Jacksonville. Stayed in savannah, Atlanta, Asheville, gatlinburg, Chattanooga. Such a great holiday!

So we definitely don’t like ‘sitting on a beach reading a book holidays’. Savannah we did a trolley tour, a tour of a haunted mansion, swum in rooftop pool at our hotel, wandered around the town and squares.
Atlanta we did the Art museum, World of coke, Georgia aquarium, the zoo (they have giant pandas).
On the way to Asheville we went to the Cabbage Patch hospital (called baby land general) very surreal place!
Asheville is a lovely town - we just chilled out there, did a trolley tour, went to the pinball museum, went white water rafting nearby.
Gatlinburg we went to some lovely viewpoints and went on walks, Dollywood theme park and water park, ziplining, mini golf, apline coaster, chairlifts. Such a beautiful area. Town is cute but touristy. You’d never get bored here.
Chattanooga I didn’t rate, but I would return for a day to do the incline railway and Rock City Gardens (one of my favourite places).
I really want to go back. If you like theme parks, Dollywood is worth a visit, and I loved the water park.
porridge is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 20, 11:15 PM  
Link to this Post
porridge
Apprentice Imagineer

Also did a road trip to the Canadian Rockies. I know it isn’t USA, but it’s close ish!
That was amazing. We did Banff, Jasper, and lake Louise - rafting, climbing, ice walking, wildlife safari, hiking, hot springs, cable cars, canoeing.
porridge is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 20, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Hmr89
slightly serious Dibber

For anyone that's restricted by annual leave and/ or budget: over 8 nights we did Washington DC > Niagara Falls > Toronto > Chicago.

DC to Niagara was 7 hours of driving but the rest wasn't too bad. We left Toronto early evening, stayed a motel in Michigan overnight then were in Chicago by midday for our last couple of days.
We went late November so it was cold but dry and hotels were cheap...best of all no one-way carhire fees on that route!
Hmr89 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 20, 07:06 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Smithlane assume like us you have cancelled your trip off now? Great shame, I’ve done that exact trip and it’s a great one. I’m reorganising our cross US trip for 2022 as it’s been a nightmare to cancel all the bits off, and summer 2021 assuming we go to US, I will fly to Florida but maybe take in Panhandle and Hilton Head (DVC) as that will be a lot easier to cancel.
Old 25 May 20, 07:53 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Smithlane assume like us you have cancelled your trip off now? Great shame, I’ve done that exact trip and it’s a great one. I’m reorganising our cross US trip for 2022 as it’s been a nightmare to cancel all the bits off, and summer 2021 assuming we go to US, I will fly to Florida but maybe take in Panhandle and Hilton Head (DVC) as that will be a lot easier to cancel.
Hey YT, not cancelled a thing yet as we have until mid July to pay any balances. We go 12 weeks today and I’m still mildly optimistic we get to go. Of course I’m also a realist so if it doesn’t go ahead we’ll rearrange the whole thing for next year, we might bump into you on the Panhandle or HHI!

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List