Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 30 May 20, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post
macadoo
Imagineer

Mobile

I’m going to speak to the others about jumping ship to universal! As much as I love a Disney holiday I’m feeling a bit meh about how they’re dealing with this.
macadoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 20, 03:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Firsttimer2017 View Post
Surely if your flights are booked before it will cover all medical costs just not cancellation of anything new booked?
I don’t know, but if it does, that would be perfect, as we wouldn’t want / need the cancellation cover, just the medical cover. Need to discuss it with dh, then possibly book hotel and leave it in place until insurance will discuss it to check we’re covered (28 days prior to travel.)

We already have 5 nights booked at Universal and 14 day tickets, so I’m thinking this could be the answer - we either have flights cancelled and get all our money back, or flights go ahead and we do Universal / laze around the pool for three weeks. It’s a win win, surely!
WDW Nov 1988/DLP Cheyenne Aug 2016/DLPDLHDec 2017/DLP Santa Fe May-Jun 2018/Magic at Sea cruise Jul-Aug 2021/WDW & 2 Wish cruises Aug-Sep 2023/DLP Newport Bay Compass Club Aug 2024/Fantasy’s first ever cruise from the UK Jul-Aug 2025
Elodie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 20, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Unicorn13x
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by beeftinkler View Post
'aren't bothered' = no elaborate pre-arrival park request like DW.

Doesn't first come first served have the potential for a lot of disappointed / angry people outside their gates?
It's how it's always been at the parks, once full no one else in so nothing new except less people getting in.
Unicorn13x is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 20, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Elodie View Post
I don’t know, but if it does, that would be perfect, as we wouldn’t want / need the cancellation cover, just the medical cover. Need to discuss it with dh, then possibly book hotel and leave it in place until insurance will discuss it to check we’re covered (28 days prior to travel.)

We already have 5 nights booked at Universal and 14 day tickets, so I’m thinking this could be the answer - we either have flights cancelled and get all our money back, or flights go ahead and we do Universal / laze around the pool for three weeks. It’s a win win, surely!
This is how I feel. I'll ditch my week at POFQ and go to Universal. I'll then go to Disney for my 5 complimentary nights at the Polynesian. If Disney tickets are on sale again by the time I go I'll get s 5 day one. If they're not I'm happy to mooch around the resort, Disney Springs etc.
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 20, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Mobile

I woke up much more positive today and decided to look at a plan b.

I've just looked at swapping our 7 nights disney to 4 nights universal and 3 nights beach but when I've factored in the cost of food which we wouldn't have had to worry about at Disney I think it's going to end up costing us more. Had anyone else found this or am I working it out wrong do you think?
mskitty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 20, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mskitty View Post
I woke up much more positive today and decided to look at a plan b.

I've just looked at swapping our 7 nights disney to 4 nights universal and 3 nights beach but when I've factored in the cost of food which we wouldn't have had to worry about at Disney I think it's going to end up costing us more. Had anyone else found this or am I working it out wrong do you think?
Have you got free dining with your Disney booking? We're losing that which is one reason some of us are re-thinking our plans.
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 20, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Donaldfan View Post
Have you got free dining with your Disney booking? We're losing that which is one reason some of us are re-thinking our plans.
Yes we have so I've taken £1500 off what we paid for Disney to factor in our dining, $200 gift card and the extra days car hire we would need and the remainder doesn't cover the new plans by my calculations. We might look at seeing if we can extend our week 2 villa stay instead and not going to be beach maybe.
mskitty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 20, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
gizmodo
Excited about Disney

Mobile

We've got a car for the universal part. Might need to extend that though. And I'm a bit tight and don't mind a McDonald's, so we usually keep food costs down with a few fast food and hot chicken type take away from supermarkets. I struggle to eat at restaurants every night in the heat anyway.

The FAQs on Kennedy space centre are encouraging packed lunch to be brought which I thought was a good idea.
gizmodo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 20, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mskitty View Post
Yes we have so I've taken £1500 off what we paid for Disney to factor in our dining, $200 gift card and the extra days car hire we would need and the remainder doesn't cover the new plans by my calculations. We might look at seeing if we can extend our week 2 villa stay instead and not going to be beach maybe.
I can't drive so won't be hiring a car. Fot me the Universal hotel and ticket is two thirds the price of my Disney one and the difference in cost would pay for my food.
Old 30 May 20, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Unicorn13x View Post
I'm confused by how you think Universal aren't bothered by capacity. They are reducing the capacity but rather than a reserve system it a first come first in till it's reached the reduced capacity number. They are taking the amount of hotel guests into the count before it opens for capacity so general public capacity is lower so guests always get access. Sounds to me like they are treating their guests as priority unlike Disney.
I could be wrong, but I thought I’d read somewhere on Disney’s website that Disney would give onsite guests priority with the park reservation system. ETA: it states it here:

disneyfoodblog/2020/...vation-system/

At least with Disney’s system you will know days beforehand whether you have got access to a park or not. Whereas with Universal’s system you’ll only know once you’ve arrived at the park entrance (or looking at Twitter on the day).

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 04:26 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List