Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 26 May 20, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
sarahmarie173
Apprentice Imagineer

insulin users

Hi all,

meant to be travelling to Cali for 8 night fingers crossed in august. I was wondering if anyone has some answers to a few questions as my nurse clearly has no clue so I gave up asking her,

1. how did you administer your long acting insulin, normally I would take this at 9pm here however, 8 hours is a long time difference.

2. my nurse did mention splitting my background in half and to start when im in the air travelling to the destination but this just confused me!

3.i have been told by a friend on a diabetic site that reducing background insulin can stop hypos from long walking etc.

i'm just after peoples general tips and experiences, if anyone can help me I would be so grateful, this is my first year travelling since diagnosis so im a bit of a nervous Nelly about it all.

x
Old 26 May 20, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Hi - is your background only once a day and not split doses? I do mine twice a day so I just nudge the time forward / backward for a few days leading up to it. I don’t find it the end of the world if it’s a bit early or a bit late but depends on your dosage I guess?

Personally I would not reduce my long acting for lots of exercise but I might instead take less short acting vs CHO (what is your ratio?)

I have found hot weather makes insulin absorption faster so that’s something to be mindful of.

I’m offering this only as my experience and I’m the first to say that I’m quite relaxed about it as I’ve been used to it for forty odd years - just check, check, check your levels as much as possible. I LOVE my Libre for that. It’s absolutely brilliant for travelling.
Old 26 May 20, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

I tell a lie, I have reduced my long acting when marathon training but my typical holiday walking would be similar to my normal exercise so I wouldn’t for that. It just occurred to me that you may be a lot more active on holiday than in your day to day life. It wasn’t that different for me hence no background reduction...
Old 26 May 20, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
sarahmarie173
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
I tell a lie, I have reduced my long acting when marathon training but my typical holiday walking would be similar to my normal exercise so I wouldn’t for that. It just occurred to me that you may be a lot more active on holiday than in your day to day life. It wasn’t that different for me hence no background reduction...
hey and thank you so much for your reply. my insulin ration is 1:10 and I take 10 units of Lantus in the evening, i've never split the dose since being diagnosed ( oct 19 ) I was always told to take my slow acting in the evening around 8.30 - 9 pm.

I don't do as much exercise as I like so i'm prepping myself for the fact my levels may drop faster.

I am thinking of investing a Libre for the duration of the 2 trips, I come back from cali then fly to Florida shortly after.

there is so much that worries me with it being my first time travelling since diagnosis but im sure once I master it all will be okay and I will think why was I so worried.
Old 27 May 20, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Libre is a tiny investment compared to the holiday cost - I would highly recommend getting one now and try it, and get yourself on the NHS list to get one (it’s different in different areas)
Old 27 May 20, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

If it was me with an eight hour time difference I would start doing split (half) doses now as it will be easier to nudge earlier and later then. Either that or just ‘keep’ to 8.30pm GMT when you’re in Cali which would make it 12.30 Cali. You would have a period potentially of no insulin so you could give yourself a tiny top up to bridge that gap. It wouldn’t be the end of the world, to me, to run a little bit high for eight hours but I hesitate to suggest you add in some extra background as what works for me may not work for you.

I set alarms on my own phone to remind me when to take background when going across various time zones.

Are you following the extra bolus regime if you do run a bit high?
KarenG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 20, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Cosworth
Apprentice Imagineer

Hi, my wife uses mixed insulin (long and short acting) twice a day. When flying, she keeps her watch on UK time and takes her insulin at usual times until we reach the destination. It is easier to adjust the times during the first few days at the destination and you may need the short acting more often due to the heat and the time differences. She usually aims for a slightly higher blood sugar reading when travelling. Always take extra medication, testing strips etc. with you (in your hand luggage) as they are sometimes difficult to source in America. We carry the insulin in Frio pouches to keep it cool. She also carries a copy of her prescription and a letter from the doctor stating that she needs to carry sharps etc.
We also carry packed meals and extra snacks when flying, rather than depend on the airline food, which varies in quantity and quality. Travelled to many destinations over 20+ years and managed really well.
Enjoy your holiday and have a lovely time.
Cosworth is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
sarahmarie173
Apprentice Imagineer

thanks guys for your replies,

I bolus extra when im correcting, they say im only meant to do it at meal times but I have done it at other times as I carb count so most times I try to only take the amount of insulin that I will need.

I have a trio pack to take with me, my doctor is brilliant I have been with her since I was a child so I know it will be no problem to get copies of my prescription and a letter to explain I need the medication etc.
I am hoping to get the libre even if I have to self fund for the duration of the trip because I just think it will be easier to do that abroad and take some strips as back up ( I have plenty here as my doctor gives me them in bulk )

I plan on taking mini packs of haribo with me and some other bits for taking around with me and I will get some extra snacks at duty free to make sure I have enough , I think im panicking where its my first trip since diagnosis and im nervous about splitting my doses etc as I have never done this before .

thank you all for the really good tips and advice x
Old 28 May 20, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Take lots of your haribos or whatever you use to treat hypos...just in case.

I have a funny story about being in MGM studios, stuffing my face with sweets urgently and it making no difference at all. And then realising they were Goofy’s Sugar Free sweets 😂
Old 29 May 20, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Mary A
Imagineer

Mary A's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DH was hypo just after going through security at JFK, sweets had no effect. Off I went for bottle of coke - till down so handed over $20 note as that was all I had. When DH felt better, till was working again so he went to get the change!

First visit 1989, last visit March 19. Next holiday Washington, Key West & Orlando May 20. Planning Hawaii for March 21
Mary A is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List