Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 May 20, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Butterbeer
Trying for More Ears

This is the home page of the website I used a couple of weeks ago after the Starlink launch. I think someone put a direct link to the Starlink tracker just after it launched in a Facebook comment, so I’ll keep an eye on the website at the time of the launch to see if it comes on there. For now you can use it to track the ISS and many other satellites!

lsatflare/home.asp

The first link that Stanleycamel posted is also a good one as you can see when it will pass over your location and where to look (it has a bit that shows a street view image as a video with the Starlink passing)
Butterbeer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 20, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Silvercat
Imagineer

I signed up with NASA to get emails when the Space Station goes over our house, we watched it last night and it was fab! We always used to wave to Tim Peake as he flew over us, when he was on the ISS.

We know which direction to look, basically from the bottom of our road to the top, so fingers crossed we don't forget - I'll set an Alexa alarm, I think.

I think we all ought to see if we can hitch a lift from it when it returns - can you imagine getting to Florida in just 15 mins!
Old 27 May 20, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
the_weird_one
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

There's a live camera from the ISS pointed at the earth for anyone interested ustream.tv/channel/iss-hdev-payload

Or if you want a camera pointing at the ISS ustream.tv/channel/live-i...?rmalang=en_US
the_weird_one is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 20, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Been on coco beach web cam...weather not good today 😳😳

Disney332
Old 27 May 20, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post

Depending on the weather they may scrub the launch today (?). So proud to see American astronauts lifting off from US soil again.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 20, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
This is from a post by Tim Peake - fingers crossed for the launch later.

Lots of people are asking about timings for tonight's spacecraft sightings. For the UK:
International Space Station - 21:20 (look west, right of the moon for the bright light moving towards the overhead).
SpaceX - launch 21:33 (watch here: nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/#public), then about 21:50, it will be following the same path as the ISS, visible over the UK.
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 20, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
maidmarian
Imagineer

We saw Starlink too. Can't wait to hopefully see this then tonight 🤞

Edited at 07:24 PM.
maidmarian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 20, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridadreams View Post
Is this the one that was supposed to happen in February does anyone know? We were thinking of going to see it when we were there but I’m not sure if it happened.
not sure which one you were supposed to see that got scrubbed, but it wouldnt have been this one. this one was preceded by the abort test and static fire tests, which were put back after the original crew dragon unit was destroyed during testing last year...
en.wikipedia/wiki/Crew_Dragon_Demo-1

en.wikipedia/wiki/Crew_D...ght_Abort_Test
The test was envisioned as a separation and abort scenario in the troposphere at transonic velocities during max Q, where the vehicle experiences maximum aerodynamic pressure. Dragon 2 would use its SuperDraco abort engines to push itself away from the Falcon 9 after an intentional premature engine cutoff. The vehicle would reorient, deploy parachutes and soft-land in the Atlantic Ocean. Earlier, this test had been scheduled before the uncrewed orbital test,[2] however, SpaceX and NASA considered it safer to use a flight representative capsule rather than the test article from the pad abort test.[3] This test was originally planned to use the capsule C201 from SpaceX Demo-1, however, C201 was destroyed in an explosion during a static fire testing on 20 April 2019.[4] Capsule C205, originally planned for Demo-2 was used for the In-Flight Abort Test[5] with C206 being planned for use during Demo-2.

some light background reading:
en.wikipedia/wiki/Dragon_2

for those that weren't aware of todays launch, this is a big one. it will be the first time theyve sent anyone to the ISS from the US for nearly 9 years. the previous trip was STS135: en.wikipedia/wiki/STS-135

Edited at 03:55 PM.
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 20, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Originally Posted by stanleycamel View Post
This is from a post by Tim Peake - fingers crossed for the launch later.

Lots of people are asking about timings for tonight's spacecraft sightings. For the UK:
International Space Station - 21:20 (look west, right of the moon for the bright light moving towards the overhead).
SpaceX - launch 21:33 (watch here: nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/#public), then about 21:50, it will be following the same path as the ISS, visible over the UK.
Great info

Disney332
Old 27 May 20, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post
TillySmith
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Floridadreams View Post
Is this the one that was supposed to happen in February does anyone know? We were thinking of going to see it when we were there but I’m not sure if it happened.
Also which direction should this be traveling or rather where is best to look (no “in the sky” answers please &#128521
Hi, I guest on Radio 2 (Zoe Ball Show) this morning said to look in a South West direction, I shall be outside hoping to see.

Pam
TillySmith is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List