Old 2 Feb 20, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Scruffette
Very Serious Dibber

O Can-aska - Day 5 - Day at Sea

O Can-aska - Day 5

Index

Tuesday 3rd September 2019 - Day at Sea

I love it when a cruise starts with a sea day – a perfect excuse to relax and explore the ship.

Although no alarm was set, I was up around 7.30am. We got ready whilst enjoying this view on the tv – even without a porthole, we could enjoy the view!

On a sea day, we do enjoy a leisurely sit down breakfast, as we tend to visit the buffet in Cabanas on port days when we have an excursion to get to.

We were in Lumiere’s about 8.15am. It was pretty busy, although they found us a quiet table for two in the corner.

You can tell I’m on a cruise when I start randomly photographing everything – this window, for example –

To start, I had a yoghourt parfait – strawberry, plain yoghurt, honey and granola. Even breakfast gets its own appetiser on a cruise!

Ollie also had a yoghourt parfait – pineapple, mango, papaya, plain yoghurt, passion fruit drizzle, coconut and granola.

To make myself feel better about the amount of sugar I was about to consume before 9am, we ordered a fruit plate – sliced mango, papaya, melon, strawberries and blueberries. Some more interesting options than your standard fruit salad! The strawberry and blueberry has seen better days though.

They also came around with a selection of pastries and advised us to take two each as it was quite busy in the restaurant. Excellent advice from our server

The breakfast menu had changed a bit since our last cruise and Ollie took the opportunity to try something new, Southern Hash – Two eggs of your choice on two fresh hash brown potatoes with chorizo sausage, cilantro, green onions and peppers with melted jack cheese.

I almost went for this and then changed my mind – when it arrived I regretted my choice as it looked really good! Even the poached eggs were still runny inside.

The menu makes a few suggestions of what you could order as sides (eg bacon). Ollie ordered a few sides, which pretty much made up a whole extra breakfast– hash browns, bacon, sausage and corned beef hash.

I went for the Very Very French Toast – Batter soaked brioche griddled until golden brown served with whipped butter and cinnamon sugar.

This description made it sound a bit fancier than it was – it was just standard French toast. However, I am a big lover of dessert-for-breakfast, so I enjoyed this.

I was keen to catch the Alaska Naturalist presentation at 10am. We did stop for hot chocolates to take in with us – I lost count of how many I had during this trip!

We tried to catch these presentations when they were on and found them really interesting. They were presented by Alaskan natives – they would rotate on Juneau day when one would disembark and another would join the cruise.

This talk was very much an introductory talk about some of the things we would see over the course of the trip, with some beautiful photography taken by our presenter. I was surprised that the talks weren’t busier to be honest. They were also available on the TVs in the staterooms, for people to catch up on later.

After the talk, we popped in the shop, and inevitably ended up buying something. I was adamant that we wouldn’t buy a DCL Christmas decoration as we have several now, but Ollie found a decoration and convinced me. He won me over saying that it looked like the ship was sailing on ice, which was perfect for Alaska. The decoration is now packed away, so here is a borrowed image. The decoration was $21.99.

We passed Minnie on the way back to our stateroom, as you do. I love it when characters randomly walk by!

It was looking a little greyer outside than when we left Vancouver –

Back in our stateroom, although our room hadn’t been made up yet, we noticed a bottle of bubbles in an ice bucket. We then realised, it wasn’t one of our bottles and there was a card with it. The bottle of Prosecco was signed from Ashley our Cruise Director, who we had met last night, wishing us a happy anniversary. This was such a lovely surprise, I love a bit of Disney magic.

Ahead of our Mixology class, we thought an early lunch would be a good idea. There’s no chance of drinking on an empty stomach when you’re on a cruise!

We contemplated a sit down lunch, but the menu wasn’t tempting me. We settled on Cabanas and decided to sit outside, even though it was really chilly!

Ollie’s plate –

My plate –

I think my plate was bigger than his for a change!

It’s not lunch without a trio of desserts! The warm cobbler with vanilla sauce was the star here.

The sky was looking a bit bluer on the way to our class.

At 2pm, we had a mixology class in Cadillac Lounge.

I was pleased to find that Andy was leading the class – we did some classes with him on the Magic in 2016 and he was really informative. He really cares about his drinks!

This was the set up in front of us-

The classes on the Fantasy were a lot more interactive and allow you to make a round of drinks for the class. This meant the drinks were very strong (and led to an unfortunate incident after a mojito class where we slept through dinner).

On the Wonder, the alcohol was pre poured for you or brought round. This probably led to better proportioned drinks, even if it wasn’t as hands-on.

The last drink was a shot which we poured/layered ourselves. Mine is on the left – Ollie’s layers were a lot better than mine. This was made up of coffee and banana liqueurs. I hate coffee, so had to down this one quickly!

The class has gone up by $5 since our last cruise and is now $25. I still think this is good value for the drinks you get, even if the drinks were a bit smaller.

My only complaint about the class was that it seemed a bit quicker than usual. We were all done by 2.50pm and being ushered out, as there was another class at 3pm. I still had a bit of each drink left and ended up taking one of the glasses with me to finish off – I don’t like to waste a drink!

After I’d finished my drink, we popped into Sea Treasures, the shop with all the Alaska merchandise. We noticed a magnet we hadn’t spotted before – I’m a sucker for a magnet so picked this up. Normally, it would have been $12.99, but had 30% off making it $9.09.

Mickey would be around for a meet and greet at 3.30pm – it wasn’t long to wait and it would be rude not to say hello! I enjoyed watching the golf in the atrium while we waited. Belle was also out and about. Of course we did some chandelier admiration.

Mickey was already in his formal wear – but we were still scruffy in jeans and jumpers!

After a fair few cocktails, it seemed sensible to pop up to the pool deck to pick up a few snacks. I went for a shwarma, to try and see why Ollie loved them so much, and Ollie got pizza. Some chicken tenders were of course mandatory.

We spent lots of time on this trip just sitting and admiring the view. Deck 4 on the nice chairs was generally our spot of choice. It was definitely chillier outside today as we were sailing. We were also sailing relatively close to land, which made for a pretty view.

After some relaxing on deck, it was time to get presentable for formal night. I always see a real mix of formal wear on a cruise – I went for a knee length lace dress and Ollie went for suit trousers and a shirt. He never bothers with a suit jacket – it would take up a lot of precious luggage space!

Brainteasers trivia was on at 5pm in the Crown and Fin – by chance we bumped into our tablemates and sat with them. Jo was leading the quiz and was as hilarious as ever.

Ollie and I did appallingly – 9 out of 20. I’m clearly not an outside-the-box thinker!

We always like to make it down for the Captain’s reception before the show. What’s not to love about free wine?

We just managed to squeeze in a meeting with Pluto before the show!

Tonight’s show was the Golden Mickey’s. We watched this on the Dream in 2015 and I was happy to watch it again. I love the Disney musical shows and they are one of the highlights of the cruise for me.

We bumped into Ashley our Cruise Director after the show and thanked her for the bottle of prosecco in our room. I was really impressed that she remembered our names and all the details of our conversation last night – she meets so many people and must have an amazing memory!

After the show, we went to meet Minnie in her formal wear. At least we were better dressed than when we met Mickey earlier!

I really felt like I was flagging a bit at this point and started feeling a bit odd. Ollie took me to deck 4 and wrapped me under blankets on the chairs to get some fresh air. He then came back with hot chocolate and the Ghiradelli choccies from turndown last night. A bit of fresh air and some sugar made me feel loads better and ready to tackle dinner.
Scruffette is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Feb 20, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Scruffette
Very Serious Dibber

Tonight’s dinner was in Animator’s Palate. Our table mates were at Palo for the evening, so Ollie had to put up with just my company for dinner.

I think I prefer Animator’s Palate on Wonder/Magic to the Dream/Fantasy – I like that the restaurant starts in black and white and turns to colour later in the evening. We also enjoyed looking at the screens where various characters were being sketched. Ollie and I tried to guess who was being drawn each time, but I was truly awful. I’d guess something like Flounder when it turned out to be Stitch!

We tried to pick a few of the regional offerings again at dinner, attempting a bit of authenticity!

To start, we both chose the Jalsberg cheese and carrot soufflé – with watercress salad and apple compote

Cheese and carrot works for me!

Instead of a soup or salad course, I went for a second appetiser! I always order the Black Truffle pasta Pursiettes – pasta purse filled with truffle-scented cheese and coated with a delicate champagne sauce - at Animator’s Palate. In fact, last year Ollie ordered this dish for two courses. I really like the sauce on this, as it’s quite subtle.

For mains, we both went for the regional variation again – Roasted smoked pork loin – with grilled venison sausage, fried dumpling and a red wine jus

Neither of us enjoyed this. It was a really dense block of smoked meat and was quite difficult to eat.

Normally, I’d go for the tuna dish on this menu, and fortunately we ordered one of these on the side! I gave up on my dish and ate most of this instead. This was cooked nicely and still a bit pink in the middle.

Grilled tuna steak – with fingerling compote, caponata, sun-dried tomato

For dessert, I went for another regional inspiration of Fairbanks blueberry crumble tart – served with vanilla frozen yogurt

This was much better than the main. However, not quite as good as the chocolate fudge cheesecake I normally chose here.

Ollie went for the Warm sticky date pudding – with butterscotch sauce, vanilla ice cream and phyllo crunch

We had excellent views from our seat of Mickey in his Fantasia outfit. I was disappointed that the servers don’t change from their black and white waistcoats to coloured waistcoats like they used to. However, they did still parade around the dining room which was nice.

After dinner, we popped back to our stateroom for a glass of wine.

Our towel animal was waiting for us –

Our stateroom host took it upon himself to fold our jammies every night, which I found a bit odd.

We then headed down to Azure to catch tonight’s show – The Music & Comedy of John Charles.

He was very talented and could play almost any song the audience threw at him. He ran over quite a bit and genuinely looked like he was having a great time performing. I think I wasn’t quite in the right mood for a show tonight and just wanted to get to bed – normally I wouldn’t mind a longer show. I much preferred his family show a few nights later – I think more of a reflection on me than the show.

I was asleep within minutes of getting back to the stateroom. I was so glad that the clocks were going back an hour tonight!

Day 6 - Dawes Glacier

Edited at 05:53 PM.
Scruffette is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 20, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

It is amazing how much you packed into a day! I love those views, I'd not be able to tear myself away!
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 20, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Rabel
Very Serious Dibber

Wow, you must have needed another holiday if everyday is as packed as that one. Thank you for posting, it does look beautiful.
Rabel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 20, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkermom
Apprentice Imagineer

Oh gosh how gorgeous are those views!
Old 16 Feb 20, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Scruffette
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by caj View Post
It is amazing how much you packed into a day! I love those views, I'd not be able to tear myself away!
Everywhere was so beautiful on this cruise! Thanks for reading

Originally Posted by Rabel View Post
Wow, you must have needed another holiday if everyday is as packed as that one. Thank you for posting, it does look beautiful.
I got a bit photo happy as it was so beautiful! Thanks for reading
Old 25 Mar 20, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
brill sea day
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 20, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Scruffette
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by disney owl View Post
brill sea day
I love a sea day! Thanks for reading