Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 22 Sep 19, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

The BIG Little Lies California Road Trip - 21st July 2019 - Whale Watching & Monterey

Day 4

Woke up to the alarm at 7 and dragged myself out of bed after the first snooze.

A few Dibbers had replied to my post saying I really should go and pick the passports up as if there is a medical emergency we will need them. I had already made my mind up last night that I’d go and get them early tomorrow morning so that I beat the heavy traffic. I still had a niggling feeling that wouldn’t go away, it was the best decision and I instantly felt better having made it.

With that sorted I jumped in the shower and we were all ready to leave by 8.15. Took a travel sickness tablet and told Sam to take one too, he refused saying he’d be fine. Remember this!
This Mule deer and her baby were wandering around right outside this morning. Ultimate cuteness

Green Gables Inn looks like something straight out of the TV series

We parked in the Waterfront parking lot and made our way to the Princess Monterey Whale Watching office.

The Leans were already here and had checked us in and got our tickets. We had time for a quick wee before queuing up to get on board. Those that had paid extra to sit up the top were in the front row with us peasant folk behind! At $20pp extra it was just too much for us. This lady crew member looked very grumpy and curt but actually was hilarious with a brilliant dry sense of humour

She went through some safety information and told us how they point out any sightings using the clock system with 12 o’clock being the front of the boat, 6 o’clock the back and so on.
I was so excited for this, one of the main reasons for booking the holiday!

We set off just after 9 and made our way out of the harbour passing these adorable sea otters and California sea lions.

We went further out into the ocean and boy was it choppy. The waves were huge, we were bouncing all over the place
We were sat inside until we saw something as even though we were wrapped up it was fairly nippy out there.

Sam suddenly said he felt sick so I got him to the back of the boat and to look at the horizon. I refrained from saying I told you so...
It was much less bumpy back here so stayed with him for a while. The lady crew member announced they could see a pod of 2 Humpbacks up ahead so we headed in that direction. Not only were there those 2 but also another group of 3. Wow they were just amazing I couldn’t believe we were seeing them with our own eyes!
I’m not even going to apologise for the amount of photos I’m going to bore you with now

We just stood and watched them gracefully move through the water. Every now and then a group of sea lions would come bounding by, the way they move is hilarious.
Jim and I would take turns checking on Sam, who was still feeling rough but hadn’t actually been sick. He had seen the whales though which was good as he’d have been gutted if he missed them.

Before long we were heading back to shore after spending well over an hour with them, we weren’t rushed at all. I would highly recommend Princess Monterey, the boat wasn’t packed at all whereas other Whale Watching companies who we saw were absolutely rammed from top to bottom!

Can't see Boris sitting still enough to go kayaking

Once back to the harbour we tipped them $10 then made our way back to the cars. Thankfully Sam was feeling much better once he was on solid ground.

For the Big Little Lies fans amongst us this is the cafe featured heavily in the show. It’s actually an Italian restaurant called Paluca Trattoria.

The plan for lunch was Ikes Place sandwich bar so plugged the address in the Sat Nav and set off. Took a wrong turn but 10 mins later we had parked round the back. I got far too excited when I spotted an Alaskan license plate in the car park

I had read about this place on Abiknox’s trip report and knew we had to go. The menu is extensive so took everyone ages to decide. Everyone bar me of course as I had researched weeks ago what I was having

I went with the Harrison Parmes which is fried chicken, marinara sauce, provolone and I added mozzarella sticks because, well, why not! I had this on whole wheat bread.
Jim had the Damon Bruce which is rib eye steak, steak sauce, onion rings and provolone, he also added mozzarella sticks. Sam had the Sammy Hagar which is Ham, bacon and American cheese. Hope just had Ham on french bread. Any eagle eyed readers might have noticed that Jim’s contained meat and a lot of it at that. Reggie the veggie had well and truly fallen off the wagon
We ordered 2 portions of fries and 4 sodas too. Altogether this came to $73.17. Expensive, it better be worth it
We ate in and thoroughly enjoyed it, god I could eat this again right now. Just look at it, totally drool worthy!

Once done we drove back to Cannery Row for a wander. Couldn’t find reasonably priced parking at all, most places wanted $20 for the day which is completely ridiculous when you only want an hour or so
In the end we went into CVS and parked there. Didn’t feel too bad as we would be buying some bits in there once we were done.

We walked along Cannery Row popping in and out of shops. I of course bought myself the obligatory magnets and a laminated map of America. $32.85 altogether.

Jim went into the Pebble Beach outlet store whilst the rest of us meandered down the road. It was busy out, but being a Sunday it was to be expected.

Just look at that water, beautiful.

Where we ate last night

We met back up after half an hour or so and made our way back to the cars. Jim took Hope and Sam back to the house whilst Helen and I went into CVS. Nick and the kids waited in their car. We both got some washing liquid and fabric softener plus some factor 50 sun cream as we really needed something stronger.
I also picked up some orange Fanta for Sam and original Goldfish crackers for Hope.
The lovely lady behind the till told us to sign up to the club and we would get the sale prices on everything we bought. My total came to $35.21. I think I saved over $10 by signing up!

Nick now drove us back to their apartment where they jumped out then Helen and I drove back to ours, passing another quaint Inn.

Everyone wanted some chill time which is fair enough, we had been on the go for days now. Helen and I however wanted to go on a walk and explore the coastal path by our place. Chilling is for wusses .
After a quick freshen up we walked in the direction of Lovers Point Park and Beach. The coastline is so dramatic with the waves crashing, just stunning!

Took about 20 minutes so not bad at all. The park and beach were busy with people in the water so we went for a paddle, god it was cold! Another Big Little Lies location, this is the beach where Jane takes Ziggy after school.

We were both in desperate need for a wee but the only option was a portaloo! Dear god these were disgusting, I felt like I needed to get a Hep B injection after that experience

From here we started the walk back. A stream of really loud, fast cars zoomed passed us but as soon as they had a hidden cop car was on their trail. No getting away from this one!
We walked up to where they’d been pulled over, fair play to the single cop tackling all 4 cars. He made them put all their bonnets up, we think he was giving them a ticket for their emissions. We didn’t hang around though. It wasn’t that exciting, it's not like anyone was leaving in handcuffs

More beautiful scenery.

Instead of turning up the road to go back to the house we carried on up to the Point Pinos lighthouse. We passed the most amazing houses that look out directly over the ocean. Dream goals!

We had another couple of paddles, even though the water is Baltic it just looks so inviting! We watched the waves for ages, they’re so mesmerising.

It was now about 4pm so now walked back to mine, we were done in and felt quite sun and wind swept! We had walked about 5km in total which isn’t bad going.
Helen stayed for about 30 minutes then left saying we would meet back up at 7.30 for dinner at Hula’s Island Grill.

We all chilled out watching Notting Hill and I wrote up some notes. We were running a bit late so messaged to say make it 8pm instead. Sam was shattered and had fallen asleep, he didn’t want to go out for dinner so I said he could stay here and sleep.
Pacific Grove is such a charming town, I was so pleased we chose to stay here. There were more Chinese lanterns everywhere, later found out they were celebrating a Festival of Light. Never get that round where I live!

We managed to park right opposite Hulas and met the Leans outside.
It was really busy in here, always a good sign! There was a 15 minute wait for a table so we got some drinks to start with and peruse the menu. Naturally a cocktail for me . I went with the Hawaii 5-0. Lovely!

Got seated after a while and as we already knew what we were having it didn’t take long to order. Helen and I shared the chicken wings and chicken tacos, Jim had a shrimp salad, Hope and Jen shared a Mac and cheese and a portion of fries, Sean a burger and Nick the vegan curry.

Food soon came and was excellent! Deserves the great reviews it gets. Bill came to $84.50 including tip for our half.

It was about 9.30pm now, the Leans came back to ours for a cup of tea. Stopped at the petrol station for some milk and donuts first.
I was really flagging by now, all that sea air had finally got to me! Sam was remarkably still asleep, he must have been exhausted.

The Leans only stayed for about half an hour or so then it was straight to bed for me as the alarm is set for 5am for the long drive back to San Fran to pick up the passports...

IG - alicialanesmith

Edited at 08:04 PM.
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Nesbits
Very Serious Dibber

I was in Monterey this time last year, perusing in those shops and looking at the statues of the women, wonderful place. I love where you are staying, nice find. It’s great reading along x
Nesbits is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 19, 07:43 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Nesbits View Post
I was in Monterey this time last year, perusing in those shops and looking at the statues of the women, wonderful place. I love where you are staying, nice find. It’s great reading along x
Of all the places we visited, Monterey is one of the only ones where I wish we had longer. I loved the feel of the town but especially Pacific Grove, we really struck lucky there!
Thank you for reading 😃

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 19, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
KayLouise
Very Serious Dibber

Wow, it's so beautiful! Lovely photos as always. The whale watching trip looked amazing too.
Old 25 Sep 19, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Ah what a great day.. Fabulous morning on the boat and then some brilliant pics from around Monterey. Hulas made me smile.
And as for Reggie not the veggie, that also made me smile. I have one of those ,

What a lovely sightseeing day all round.
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 19, 06:20 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by KayLouise View Post
Wow, it's so beautiful! Lovely photos as always. The whale watching trip looked amazing too.
Thank you, it really is a beautiful place to visit, so photo worthy!
Can highly recommend the Whale Watching, to see them up close was just amazing

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 26 Sep 19, 06:23 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
Ah what a great day.. Fabulous morning on the boat and then some brilliant pics from around Monterey. Hulas made me smile.
And as for Reggie not the veggie, that also made me smile. I have one of those ,

What a lovely sightseeing day all round.
It was such a great day from start to finish, you know one of those days that just goes to plan!
Honestly he made such a big deal out of wanting to eat healthier, meat being terrible for you, blah blah blah we couldn’t believe he caved after 3 days 😂

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 28 Sep 19, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
What a great day. The deer at the beginning is just too cute.

Shame that Sam didn't listen to you, but at least he did see the whales, you were really lucky to see so many pods.

I'm loving the look of the town, great to see so many of the sights from Big Little Lies. It all looks so pretty plus those lanterns in the evening looked great too.

Nice that the ladies got to have a walk while the others chilled out.

A fab end to the day with your meal.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 19, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
What a great day. The deer at the beginning is just too cute.

Shame that Sam didn't listen to you, but at least he did see the whales, you were really lucky to see so many pods.

I'm loving the look of the town, great to see so many of the sights from Big Little Lies. It all looks so pretty plus those lanterns in the evening looked great too.

Nice that the ladies got to have a walk while the others chilled out.

A fab end to the day with your meal.
They were just adorable, they roam free everywhere round here.
He’s at that age where he thinks he knows everything and that I just nag. When will they learn that Mother really does know best 😂
There were so many areas that I recognised from BLL, really felt like we were on location. It’s exactly like it looks on TV.
It was actually really nice just the 2 of us. We put the world to rights and had a good old moan about Jim and Nick. We get on really well which I love.
Hulas was one of our best meals throughout the holiday!

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 19 Oct 19, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Great morning whale watching, it must be lovely to see them in their natural habitat like that.

What a beautiful, scenic place Monterey is with its rugged coastline and quaint buildings. Gorgeous houses overlooking the ocean too.

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List