Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 25 Jan 20, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I would be very surprised if you saw any rowdy drunken kids at all on Anna Maria Island - my favourite place in Florida!
We went for a week in 2018 when the Red Tide was at its worst along the coast but we were told this isn’t a regular occurrence. It certainly didn’t ruin our time there though

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 20, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
AllyD
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by Cloverlady View Post
I've never seen drunks on any of the many Gulf Coast beaches we've been to - the most 'lively' place we have been was Clearwater. We're not really a fan of Clearwater beach near the pier (though many are! ) so we tend to go elsewhere if time allows.

We've only experienced Red Tide once, luckily, and it was October 2018.

I didn't recognise it at first - firstly it wasn't really red or reddish at all in colour , it just looked like normal seaweed type stuff .
Also, we were on the East Coast, above Fort Lauderdale, so didn't expect to see it there either as I'd seen reports mainly from Gulf side -
but wow did it sting your chest to breathe!
and made you cough constantly just standing on the beach.
There were a few folk in the water actually! but as soon as I twigged what it was we went away from the beach.
On that holiday we stayed on the East Coast then later on the Gulf, at Fort Myers Beach. There was no sight of it there during our stay It comes and goes, and there are regular updates on the local news channels to keep you informed
Thanks Cloverlady, we have decided to risk it, just can't decide where to go now as there is so much choice and there isn't one clear favourite. Think it will be out of AMI, Johns Pass or Siesta Key, but need to hurry up and make a decision...
AllyD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 20, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
AllyD
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by CarsonMac View Post
We were at Marco Island, Naples and Clearwater last week and no sign of the tide. Marco island is so nice! But clearwater has to be my favourite i would say
Thanks CarsonMac, why do you prefer Clearwater?
AllyD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 20, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
AllyD
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by discostu View Post
As others have said very bad Red tide around AMI in August 2018 the only time I have encountered it. Never seen drunkenness on a beach in fact we always remark how the signs they put up for the nesting turtles are never touched.
Years ago we were out late in Bradenton and passing a bar where a group of rowdy 20 somethings came out I gripped my wifes hand tighter as if this was in Ireland I would have been slightly doubtful of such a groups intentions ...as we walked by each one said " Good night sir Good night Mam"
Thanks discostu, how lovely... Would you recommend Bradenton? We were hoping to be a bit more central on the island, but the better accommodation that is available is in Bradenton.
Old 26 Jan 20, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
AllyD
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by Redsox77 View Post
We always go to the Gulf Coast area and never had any problems. We stay around Treasure Island or Indian Rocks and there has been no decline in our opinion.
Thanks Redsox77, have you been anywhere else on the Gulf Coast? As you obviously prefer Treasure Island/Indian Rocks area, which quite a few people recommend too. So we have been looking there as well.
Old 26 Jan 20, 11:45 AM  
Link to this Post
AllyD
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by Sandra & co View Post
July 18 red tide spoiled our visit, August 16 we had a hurricane. Florida beaches and us just don’t seem to mix well, but the times we have spent on the beach have been lovely. I would go back if I could guarantee no red tide, we went to Kefalonia last year to have lovely beach time. We have never encountered any drunks on the beaches ever.
Hi Sandra & co, that is usually the kind of luck that we have, hence the concern... We went to Kefalonia in 2018 and thought it was stunning. We met so many brits who had moved there. Good luck with any beach time that you have booked this year.
Old 26 Jan 20, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by AllyD View Post
Thanks discostu, how lovely... Would you recommend Bradenton? We were hoping to be a bit more central on the island, but the better accommodation that is available is in Bradenton.
We stayed in Bradenton and used to drive to Anna Maria island, I think it was about 30 mins drive. We also stayed in Cape Coral which was beautiful
Old 26 Jan 20, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Redsox77
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by AllyD View Post
Thanks Redsox77, have you been anywhere else on the Gulf Coast? As you obviously prefer Treasure Island/Indian Rocks area, which quite a few people recommend too. So we have been looking there as well.
Hi, yes we’ve been fortunate to have trips up and down the Gulf Coast but love Treasure Island the most. We’ve managed to find a house on one of the booking rental sites that is on the waterway, short walk to the beach and private pool for way way less that the hotel we used to use that was beachfront. Great restaurants within walking distance and malls a short drive.
The only time you’d likely get rowdiness and that’s anywhere would be the Spring Break period.
Redsox77 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 20, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
discostu
slightly serious Dibber

Now a little caveat we have family close by so we have been going to Bradenton for many years. We even have our own "spot" on the beach with parking Lol. For us and everyone is different, We have a great choice and variety of restaurants,lots of great shopping, great walks and you have Busch very close by.Sarasota is close by with all the facilities a biggish city offers Tampa is the same.Now we have also stayed in Naples and loved it and Barefoot beach.In fact anywhere on the Gulf coast is beautiful. Clearwater is lovely but a bit too commercial for me.There is a wide variety of accommodation available in Bradenton, we have stayed in Sabel Harbour in the past which is about 20/30 mins max from the beaches. For us and we have a special needs adult its got everything but our other 2 adult sons also love as they have done everything from shootings Bobs Bullseue Gun range to all of us ice skating in the Ellenton Ice ring while Mammy did loads of shopping in the Ellenton Mall
discostu is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 20, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
Now a little caveat we have family close by so we have been going to Bradenton for many years. We even have our own "spot" on the beach with parking Lol. For us and everyone is different, We have a great choice and variety of restaurants,lots of great shopping, great walks and you have Busch very close by.Sarasota is close by with all the facilities a biggish city offers Tampa is the same.Now we have also stayed in Naples and loved it and Barefoot beach.In fact anywhere on the Gulf coast is beautiful. Clearwater is lovely but a bit too commercial for me.There is a wide variety of accommodation available in Bradenton, we have stayed in Sabel Harbour in the past which is about 20/30 mins max from the beaches. For us and we have a special needs adult its got everything but our other 2 adult sons also love as they have done everything from shootings Bobs Bullseue Gun range to all of us ice skating in the Ellenton Ice ring while Mammy did loads of shopping in the Ellenton Mall
We also stayed in Sabel Harbour, Villa was lovely and withheld a hurricane