Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 30 Jan 20, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Budmiester
Excited about Disney

Spaceship Earth Closing Date ?

I am aware that Disney have announced that they are closing Spaceship Earth for a refurbishment this year but I can’t find an actual date for the closure anywhere. I believe that they said early this year but we are going to be in Epcot late April and hopefully it’s still open then. Anyone in the know have a rough idea as to when they will be closing it?
Budmiester is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Rabel
Very Serious Dibber

The only thing that I can find is that it is likely to be after Test Track reopens (end of Feb) as they don't want two big attractions out at the same time. However, no official announcement.
Rabel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
As above, there's no official date when it will close. So it's all guess work at the moment.

Considering there were rumours about Spaceship Earth closing sometime last year - which didn't happen - I wouldn't put a huge amount of trust in any current rumours regarding the closure date. It does make sense that it won't close until after Test Track reopens but other than that, it's a bit of a guess. I personally think it's unlikely it'll be open in late April but who knows!

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Always_dreaming
Excited about Disney

If they did refurbish Spaceship Earth...how long typically is it expected to be shut? (judging on approx how long other rides have been shut for refurb)

We go Aug 2020 and it's only of our fave old school rides
Always_dreaming is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 01:17 PM  
Link to this Post
m2k00
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Always_dreaming View Post
If they did refurbish Spaceship Earth...how long typically is it expected to be shut? (judging on approx how long other rides have been shut for refurb)

This will be a lengthy refurb as they are upgrading the whole ride experience. I am sure read would be more likely closed for 18 months + and be 2022 when re opens
m2k00 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Always_dreaming View Post

This is a different type of refurb than the usual. It's not just a bit of maintenance - Disney are going to renew and retheme it. It's therefore going to be closed for at least 18 months and probably 2 years. It has been said it will reopen in time for Epcot's 40th anniversary in 2022.

I do not expect Spaceship Earth to be open when I visit in August.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Budmiester
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
As above, there's no official date when it will close. So it's all guess work at the moment.

Considering there were rumours about Spaceship Earth closing sometime last year - which didn't happen - I wouldn't put a huge amount of trust in any current rumours regarding the closure date. It does make sense that it won't close until after Test Track reopens but other than that, it's a bit of a guess. I personally think it's unlikely it'll be open in late April but who knows!
l will work on the basis that it will be closed and if it’s open then I’ll take it as a Brucie bonus 😂
Budmiester is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Joshie1
Imagineer

Joshie1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Budmiester View Post
l will work on the basis that it will be closed and if it’s open then I’ll take it as a Brucie bonus 😂
Me too but I’m hoping for a late May closure so that we get a chance to experience it one time with Judy’s voice narrating.
Joshie1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 20, 08:23 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Joshie1 View Post
Me too but I’m hoping for a late May closure so that we get a chance to experience it one time with Judy’s voice narrating.
This is my hope too!
Old 31 Jan 20, 06:58 PM  
Link to this Post
meggy
Imagineer

meggy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Oh flip! I forgot about this possible closure, don't suppose it will still be open when I go in November. Fingers crossed refurb is delayed
meggy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List