Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 28 Feb 20, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I had Flu way back in 1978 when I was a strapping 23 year old working on the buildings and as fit as a fiddle.

I managed to get to work somehow but I felt like I had been driven over by a dumper truck!

I literally could do 5 mins of work and had to sit down for 15 mins.

Longest week of my life.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by FizzyWhip View Post
Bit patronising but ok .. I’m 38 soon and yes definitely at least twice ,like I said above 3rd was perhaps just a very bad virus.
Don’t think you can compare your own health to mine , you don’t even know me ?
I don't know what is patronising about it. And whilst I used myself or rather the reference to my old age to make my point, I was more commenting that it was statistically unusual, that is all. I was not in any way comparing my health to yours, as you say, I don't know you, so how could I.

Edited at 12:50 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by sam7 View Post
Over reaction? Probably, BUT you are a parent - and one with a vulnerable child so you are entitled to. You have done the right thing by dialing 111 and you are doing the right thing by following their advise. I honestly hope that it is an over reaction and your son is fine
I agree that the OP did the right thing calling 111. The whole point of 111 is to provide advice and reassurance to members of the public who are a bit concerned and unsure what to do. It's better than the OP taking their son to the GP or (worse still) to A&E. It's also better than asking some random strangers on the internet what they think.

It was also a bit of an overreaction, driven in part by being a parent and part by the news/social media attention this is currently getting (well, that's my view anyway). I suspect there are a lot of people who find they have a bit of a cough and feel unwell and immediately start wondering whether they have COVID-19 and if they should quarantine themselves.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Ellelledee
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Posiesmum View Post
For what it’s worth,I think OP did the right thing. The rugby on Saturday involving Italy has been put on hold. The OP has an immune compromised child. I’ve had flu and it didn’t come on suddenly, it took about 36 hours, starting with a dry cough and muscle pain. I do hope those who shrug off the risks are taking sensible precautions (hand washing, covering mouth when coughing etc) - we need to be aware and not behave as if it can never happen to us. I’m very disturbed by posters (on other threads) who say it’s ‘only’ a threat to the young, the old and the immune compromised as if they don’t matter!
I totally agree and the thing is at my works they are really putting things in place regarding this - we do have a branch in China and there are members of staff who have travelled to affected places but also other people are travelling there e.g a girl goes to Thailand at weekend so people are “thinking”. But earlier this week they were talking about it only being elderly or people with weakened immune system who are likely to die or be badly affected by it Well
a) that doesn’t make it ok. Just because the average death age from it is 79 (or something) and the average death age in China is 79 anyway).
b) actually people probably said about swine flu that it’s the weak/old/young/compromised immune who were most vulnerable and yet my hubby and I caught swine flu and my hubby then contracted pneumonia and spent 2 weeks in intensive care and nearly died - he was and actually now is one of the fittest people I know and it broke him
c) my daughter is type 1 diabetic so I don’t want to be risking taking anything near her
d) the 2 people this week at work that have done the “this is all being blown out of proportion are 2 of the sickest people I know! They are always ill and off work! One of them is one of those people who thrives on being ill and yet she is saying people need to get on with it and not be so dramatic - ok we will remind you of that when you ring us sick cos you sneeze twice or your tummy is a “bit dodgy this morning”.

It drives me mad at work with how quickly stuff goes round because people are constantly coughing and sneezing all over each other and I’m sure the air con is a breeding ground. In 3 years working there touch wood I’ve never taken a day off sick - but just before I went to Florida loads of people coughing and spluttering and heyho about 2 days into the holiday I was smothered in a cold! Really really poorly.

Also one at work was on about schools closing well we are all being sent obvious hygiene practice recommendations - kids and teens aren’t the most hygienic so I think precautions like that are for the best if they have suspected cases or have returned from places with suspected cases.
Ellelledee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List