Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 9 Nov 19, 02:25 AM  
Link to this Post
GoofyK
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
There’s still a discount but each year it’s been less and less. The days of 40% are long gone .
😭😭 I remember we paid just over £6k to stay at SSR for 9 nights with free dinning n tickets for 8 ppl back then. Now £6k doesn’t even cover accommodation n price of tickets has nearly double. 😩😩
GoofyK is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
KRBarnard
Very Serious Dibber

KRBarnard's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

No, that’s not true. I’ve changed a booking many times with Disney and have always kept the original terms, including the price. I changed a booking to OKW last year after free dining was finished and got the discounted price on OKW, not the price it was when I called to make the change. Disney’s own terms say that you keep the original conditions of the booking. It works both ways though as I changed to CSR thinking I’d get the price that was on the website but it was actually slightly more as it had been higher during free dining. I’m not aware of anyone who has changed a booking and had to pay the current price. Nor am I aware of Disney prices changing during free dining and you being able to change the booking to get the reduced rate. Not unless it’s a room category change.
Prices change all the time during the Free Dining offer. We booked Studio rooms originally for next September as we couldn't afford any of the two bedroom Villa options. OKW was hovering at around £3000. Then on 3rd November just before Free Dining ended, it dropped £650 for our nights to £2330 so we moved our booking. Prices fluctuate all the time.
Gateway Inn '97 Radisson Barcelo '99 Quality Inn Plaza '01 Quality Inn Int'l '03 La Quinta Inns&Suites '05 B.W. Movieland '07 Holiday Inn '08 & '09 Indian Creek '10 & '11 Vista Cay '12 Rosen Inn @ Pointe and Miami '13 Vista Cay '13,'14,'15,'16 CBR '16 Tampa, POR & SSR '17 OKW + Vista Cay '18 Windsor Hills '19 Vista Cay'22
KRBarnard is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Well worth considering buying DVC you know if prices keep going up. You can get SSR or OKW resale for under $100 a point. If you stay in studios, for about 200 points a fortnight so about £16000. Then it will cost you currently about £72 a night to stay there in dues cost or £1000 ish a fortnight.
The original £16000 isn’t dead money, when you’ve had enough you can easily sell it. Many people including myself have made a chunky profit on the original buy in, but that is not guaranteed, but you would likely get most of your money back. Or sit back and rent the points out with no effort whatsoever with David’s etc for about an 8% return. It’s better than a buy to let in the U.K. currently from that perspective but of course it does have a limited life span.
It doesn’t make much sense to keep spending 5 figures, year in and out, on cash stays if you can get the cash together for DVC, and plan to keep going.

Edited at 09:52 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by KRBarnard View Post
Prices change all the time during the Free Dining offer. We booked Studio rooms originally for next September as we couldn't afford any of the two bedroom Villa options. OKW was hovering at around £3000. Then on 3rd November just before Free Dining ended, it dropped £650 for our nights to £2330 so we moved our booking. Prices fluctuate all the time.
Not in my experience. They only time prices change is when room categories sell out or become available again. This is direct with Disney, obviously prices may change with other TAs.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Well worth considering buying DVC you know if prices keep going up. You can get SSR or OKW resale for under $100 a point. If you stay in studios, for about 200 points a fortnight so about £16000. Then it will cost you currently about £72 a night to stay there in dues cost or £1000 ish a fortnight.
The original £16000 isn’t dead money, when you’ve had enough you can easily sell it. Many people including myself have made a chunky profit on the original buy in, but that is not guaranteed, but you would likely get most of your money back. Or sit back and rent the points out with no effort whatsoever with David’s etc for about an 8% return. It’s better than a buy to let in the U.K. currently from that perspective but of course it does have a limited life span.
It doesn’t make much sense to keep spending 5 figures year in and out on cash stays if you can get the cash together for DVC, and plan to keep going.
Unfortunately it’s getting the initial cash together that’s the issue.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 19, 03:03 AM  
Link to this Post
GoofyK
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
It doesn’t make much sense to keep spending 5 figures, year in and out, on cash stays if you can get the cash together for DVC, and plan to keep going.
Thank u very much for information. Think after this trip. We would be consider DVC. cos this trip has gotten sooo expensive. Can I ask u, would you know roughly how much would a 2 bedroom a night would be if I use DVC point? We have a big family so def would be a 2 bedroom most of the time. Also can I co-share it with my sister? Must look into it when we visit next year!
GoofyK is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 19, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by GoofyK View Post
Thank u very much for information. Think after this trip. We would be consider DVC. cos this trip has gotten sooo expensive. Can I ask u, would you know roughly how much would a 2 bedroom a night would be if I use DVC point? We have a big family so def would be a 2 bedroom most of the time. Also can I co-share it with my sister? Must look into it when we visit next year!
Basically for a 1 bed double the cost, for a 2 bed even more. You’d need around 600 points for a 2 bed for a fortnight every year so it gets very pricey to buy in enough for 2 beds every year.

You could also rent points off David’s, but again expensive to get enough off 2 beds.

I have 400 points and stay in 1 beds mostly.

The good thing about DVC is you can book different resorts other than your home resort, albeit it’s easier to do at certain time of year and in 1 beds.

At Xmas I’m in a 1 bed at Beach Club, then Bay Lake Tower, total 11 nights. It’s tremendously expensive to stay in these 1 bed rooms cash at Christmas. They are at least $750+ a night (and often more ), no discounts usually at Xmas. It is costing me just under £2500 in dues cost or just over £225 a night. However, I could have rented from David’s for £6771 so my saving compared to renting on this trip, I don’t compare to rack rates but cheaper rental rates, are around £4200.

Points cost varies a lot by resort and time. So 11 nights in a 1 bed at Saratoga standard view next summer would only cost me £1750 in dues cost or £159 a night.

Have a look on David’s and play around with the points calculator, assuming the points will now cost you about $100 a point to buy resale.

I’ve spent about $37500 on my points but as I say, not dead money. Some were direct and some recently. Whilst we cannot assume we will see the growth again (or any growth), DVC has held its value well over the past 26 years. I’ve lost a bit if I sold on the direct points, but made on the older resale. I could sell now for in the $40,000’s but would have to pay commission and fees so I’d probably come out about breaking even. So really even if I sold now, I’ve had holidays for just dues costs. Many who bought years ago have made very good money. I’d expect to make money if selling in say another 15 years but no guarantees. There is the time cost of money though. Even if you hold it for say 10 years, and just about break even when you sell, it’s a huge amount of saving over say those 10 trips.

DVC is really pre paying room costs at a discount rate now, and the value comes in the long term as the rooms go up (at least in good times).

I’ve bought my points in dribs and drabs over the years. So rather than dropping 8k on staying at Beach Club one year, I’ve bought another contract and built up. Some people on Dibb have 1000+ points but a lot bought years ago when it was much cheaper and the exchange rate meant it was a no brainer really- but back then many never looked into it, so they were the clever ones.

Edited at 08:42 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 19, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by KRBarnard View Post
Not in my experience. They only time prices change is when room categories sell out or become available again. This is direct with Disney, obviously prices may change with other TAs.
Not in my experience either. I booked OKW on 20th June and checked prices regularly many times afterwards, it did not move by even £1 up until free dining ended, then it changed.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List