Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 11 Nov 19, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
LawrenceFamily
Imagineer

Mobile Used to DDP - first DVC stay

Hi all

We have booked for 16 nights next Aug which is our first DVC stay. We usually always book when DDP is on for free, so this is going to be a little different.

Any tips? We like being able to just get what we want without worrying about the cost but it does seem such a lot to pay for it upfront. Interested to hear thoughts!
Old 12 Nov 19, 12:08 AM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Get a car and eat offsite - better quality and half the price.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 12:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by 2point View Post
Get a car and eat offsite - better quality and half the price.
Couldn't have put it better!

We are experimenting this holiday and ensuring Disney get as little money as possible off us.
I will post my findings when we get home.
We are even cutting down on Park lunches which we normally share anyhow. Share a Mickey bagel instead, more than enough.

Have a read of Loves2Plan food report for some awesome onsite food ideas. Well worth a look.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 11:45 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

We eat offsite and much more quick serve.
I'm going at Xmas and have booked Yak and Yeti for Xmas lunch which we will do, Ale and Compass, the Chinese in Epcot, the Wave and Jungle Navigation.
At least 1 and possibly 2-3 will be cancelled closer to the time I expect. I think we will do the Wave and either the Chinese or Ale and Compass as well as Yak and Yeti.
Ultimately if you go regularly we find the exorbitant cost on site of meals, having to tear ≈≈≈≈ around ADRs etc isn't for us now. Its much more relaxing to stroll into Epcot and eat at Japan when you want, or visit Columbia Harbour House in MK etc. And you save a fortune.
Best meals I had in summer were (surprisingly ) Hard Rock Cafe at Universal (and pretty reasonable) and Bahama Breeze and Longhorn opposite the outlet malls. Had vouchers on the latter two, cost half of Disney prices for better food.
Our server at Longhorn worked at Disney and said the servers there are on outrageous money on tips -80, 90, 100k pa some of them, and they joke they have the best cars in the car parks- better than the customers and managers.
Old 12 Nov 19, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
skstorm
VIP Dibber

We ate mostly onsite and it was still about $1000 cheaper to eat out of pocket. I will say that the cost of the food itself is much more noticeable when you pay for it. How about a pre paid spending card or starling card with the money loaded in an account?
We still got exactly what we wanted to eat.
Old 13 Nov 19, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Having just spent a whole month over there, first week with DDP & the remainder split 60/40 eating on/off site... We have a week "free" DDP next year but for the remainder of the holiday we'll eat offsite! In each of our TS meals, Signatures aside, we averaged $100-$120 for a meal for 2 plus drinks & that's not including the Tip- that's £100 for a meal in a "standard" restaurant & whilst the food was generally good it wasn't a "£100" good IYKWIM. Offsite we averaged $60-$80 & some lower. I mentioned our Kona Cafe experience in another post but +$50 for a steak & I do mean a steak as any sides were extra, it was literally a steak on a plate with a bit of jus! Is this a sign of future things for DDP?
I think currently it's $76/day & IMO you wouldn't spend that every day.

I should mention that the one place where a QS credit is excellent value - Polite Pig, you can easily get close to $30-35 worth of value on a credit.

SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR

Edited at 10:41 AM.
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
vhm672
Imagineer

vhm672's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
OP I think you will find very few of us would consider DDP as DVC members firstly as we don't see the value or quality we want onsite and secondly as we have to pay in dollars that value is further reduced.

For me personally I know I wouldn't eat the amount of food on the DDP even if the restaurants were all wonderful and as I would never have a studio I have a full kitchen at my disposal and happy to mix a bit of self catering with QS and offsite dining.

If I eat three TS meals in a two week stay at Disney that is my limit and often we only have one, although as I tend to travel during food and wine this can be an influencing factor as I do like to graze my way around the booths.
vhm672 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
red cuillen
Excited about Disney

Can't add anything to what has already been said! Last year was our first stay too, wish we'd done it years ago!
We did a rough calculation comparing the DDP/QSDP to buying food, and found it soooo much cheaper to pay as we went. Water was bought in 25L containers and used to refill our bottles which had those great little fingers straps. Didn't even eat as much offsite as we planned as the kitchen in our 1 bed was great!
red cuillen is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 19, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
ginnyfish
Getting Excited

I love eating onsite, and we are used to the DDP. This year we stayed on our points for the first time and I budgeted what it would have cost us for the DDP. Needless to say, even after many Character meals and eating whatever we wanted, we came in quite a bit under budget. I like being able to eat in the places that aren't on the plan, like the wonderful Trader Sams, as well as the freedom to get a desert later in the evening (preferably the wonderful 7 layer cake from TOTWL).
Old 17 Nov 19, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Bertiebear
Imagineer

This is an interesting thread. We are looking to stay onsite August 2021. We've never done DDP as always stayed in a villa. I'm seriously thinking of instead renting points for 1 bed and no DDP. We like the offsite restaurants and will have a car. But just fancied onsite for a change. Do you mind me asking OP who you booked with etc? the savings seem amazing and you get so much more space. Like you it would be August for 16 nights. How far in advance did you book? And did you get first choice resort?