Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 12 Nov 19, 02:54 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Edjames View Post
I get that you should tip them and that $5.50 an hour is not a good wage. But if it takes me an hour to eat and my bill comes to $200, that means I'm paying them $41.50 an HOUR! That's mental.

Further, bear in mind that they're not focussed purely on my table during that time period, so I'm not even getting an hour of work out of them for that amount. They're providing me a service for, at most 25% of that hour.

So now lets assume they're serving four tables for that hour. They earn their $5.50 an hour, plus, let's assuming four $100 bills, at $18 service for each. That's $77.50 per hour. Assume an 8 hour day, that's £620, $3,100 per week and circa $13,000 per month. $156k a year.

Now given how few servers you see driving around in Porsches, it's safe to say that whopping 18% is almost DEFINITELY not going to your server.

And that's why tipping sucks.

Pay your staff a fair amount and tell me on the menu what my food will ACTUALLY cost me.
I agree with this principle.

In regards to the rest I am pretty sure the tip gets divided up between people doing other roles and not just the server.
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

The tips are ludicrous, and some of the servers are on six figures. I have this from the horses mouth.
I would leave what you think is reasonable. The food has been so inflated over the last decade, the tips have also gone through the roof. For buffets, 5-10% is more than adequate in my view. 15% for good service at table. If not good, go down. Do not feel obliged to do anything, make your own choices. I do leave 20% when I have received fantastic service- I really do base it on what service is given rather than conforming to a standard.
Tipping in WDW restaurants is very different to standard places such as Chillis etc. WDW servers almost never move on as they make so much money. I was speaking to a hostess who had been hoping for a waitress job- 2 years on still waiting. There are no Disney servers on anything like minimum wage- often they are earning more than doctors. If they do not perform, do not pay- they can probably afford it more than you.

Edited at 03:05 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

paysa/salaries/walt-...-world--waiter

Interesting...

So £48k is about the average...

With £55k being about the top end...

Edited at 03:22 PM.
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dx4100 View Post
paysa/salaries/walt-...-world--waiter

Interesting...

So £48k is about the average...

With £55k being about the top end...
Wow, more than interesting.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

This is a sample from less than 20 people. The person I spoke to at length (ex hostess ) said some earning $80, 90, 100k a year. She desperately wants a job there but can't get one. Years on a waiting list.

There's a very illuminating Reddit Q and A where a server talks about the money- big bucks. In a hotel restaurant working fairly limited hours they were on over $50k and said full time, park restaurant or Signature, over $100k doable.

But even if the 48k (£s not dollars and it's over £49k) average is correct, even that is crazy money for waiting tables. There's many a skilled professional with year's of training not on that.

Edited at 04:28 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
YLL
Imagineer

Where do I apply?
YLL is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Mobile

Originally Posted by YLL View Post
Where do I apply?

And me!
To be honest it grips me but it is what it is and unless everybody stops eating there nothing will change

As an aside we are very friendly with a number of Servers and the figures quoted for the top 4 Signature places aren’t correct. The figures on here are too low by quite a long way!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 12:13 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

I tell my daughter who wants to be a barrister- don't bother, try to get working in Disney as a server.
Old 16 Nov 19, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
jocesk
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

I was a server at Disney many moons ago. Have to say I didn’t earn anywhere near that but times have changed.

I can also confirm that there are many Americans that don’t bother tipping. I just think you should tip what the service was worth.
jocesk is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 19, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by jocesk View Post
I was a server at Disney many moons ago. Have to say I didn’t earn anywhere near that but times have changed.

I can also confirm that there are many Americans that don’t bother tipping. I just think you should tip what the service was worth.
As well as times changing prices also go up. The more expensive the meal is the higher the tip is. It's like when people complain about the price of park tickets compared to what they were 10 years ago. Prices go up. It's simple economics.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List