Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Nov 17, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
julie42
Dibbing with Tink

julie42's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Reassure me...emergency gastroscopy!

I have been having heartburn, burping, vomiting etc for quite a few months now...put it down to being 52, stress, busy life etc but GP has referred me for emergency gastroscopy to rule out stomach cancer! I'm scared of the results, but also terrified of the procedure...I will definitely ask for the Midazolam (conscious sedation), but really need to hear other people's experiences of this to try and reassure me that the procedure will be fine!
Old 21 Nov 17, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Jaybeez
Imagineer

Jaybeez's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I haven't had the procedure and would feel like you do. My husband has though, he had it without sedation and said it was ok.

Good luck
Jaybeez is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 17, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

Take the drugs, honestly I have not had the camera down my throat but had it the other way twice so far. 1st I was sedated which I felt was really easy so though next time I wont, big mistake on my part as despite buscopan my body fought that camera and it was painful.

My consultant felt a mass last month so I had an MRI yesterday and having my 3rd colonoscopy tomorrow (I have crohn's hence having a couple already), I have opted for every drug they can give me.

It is a worry but also they do these procedures every day and they are just to rule things out, my dad has had the camera down his throat a few times for similar reasons to you his diagnosis was nothing serious they just keep an eye on him now and he has the camera every few years.
Old 21 Nov 17, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
pooh's gal
Excited about Disney

Please take the sedation. I've had gastroscopies twice and the first one with no sedation and it was awful. Second one I had the sedation and I honestly didn't know they had put the tube down my throat and when the nurse said I could get down from the table I asked why they hadn't done it. Needless to say she laughed and yes, the doctor had done it and I honestly didn't feel a thing. Good luck
Old 21 Nov 17, 11:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Lindaelaine
Imagineer

I have had it with sedation and never felt a thing, in fact as soon as the needle went in I was out for the count and it was supposed to be light sedation , I woke up in recovery feeling like I had had a good sleep .
The symptoms you describe were why I had it and it turned out to be a haitus hernia which is easily controlled with medication .
Good luck try not to worry, easier said than done but I am sure you are focusing on the words stomach cancer too much when your GP is just ruling it out to be on the safe side .
Aug 2018...Westridge. Aug 2019... Miami & Solterra Resort
Lindaelaine is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 17, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyWannabe
Imagineer

I had one two years ago, I opted just for the throat spray as I wanted to be in and out. I was asked to lay on my left side and was able to watch the whole thing on the screen.

They put a pipe (approx 2cm wide) into your mouth and the start slowing pushing it down your throat, initially you want to gag but although uncomfortable and unpleasant it passes. When the camera enters the stomach you will burp, again not a nice feeling. They had a look around and took a small sample from the lining of my stomach, then removed the camera. Again as it is removed you feel the gag reflex cut in.

The whole procedure took less than 5 minutes, and I was able to leave after 20 minutes.

TBH I worried terribly before the procedure, but honestly it was over so very quickly. Hopefully yours is as uneventful as mine.

Very best wishes.

Edited at 11:52 AM.
DisneyWannabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 17, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
storm
Imagineer

I was a theatre nurse, endoscopy was my "bread and butter".
Also been on the receiving end.
I have had sedation and have no memory of the event.I have also had one with no sedation or local spray which although was unpleasant took minutes. I was unable to have the local spray due to other issues

If you are the type of person who is calm / likes to be in control /has to drive etc then I would go for the local spray .
If you feel you want to be unaware of the event then go for the awake sedation. But remember you cannot drive etc for 24 hrs
I always found those that had the local spray were really glad they did as the got to see what was going on. Either way it's a quick simple procedure, try not to worry.
storm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 17, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Rea
Very Serious Dibber

I had it without sedation and I would advise you to have sedation if it's available to you. Mine was a horrible experience but my husband has them with sedation every couple of years, for a long term condition and he found the experience much easier than me.
Old 22 Nov 17, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
jmt
Apprentice Imagineer

I had this done in July to confirm Coeliac Disease. I was not given the option for sedation even though I asked as consultant said no time and it will only take a few minutes. Afterwards I described the procedure as brutal and don't want one ever again. I saw consultant 6 weeks later and he want's to do another to see if I'm healing, but I put it off and don't think I'll bother (think it may just be ££££ as I was seen in private hospital being paid for by NHS!)

The spray was disgusting, tasted like rotten fish guts smell
jmt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 17, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I've been an endoscopy nurse AND had an endoscopy. I'd say take the sedation if you want but be aware they don't give you enough to knock you out these days (used to be more but not now deemed safe to give big doses as no anaesthetist present). Also they want you on be awake enough to obey commands. You MAY fall asleep afterwards and if you do its possible you will have no recollection of the procedure. If you take the throat spray you will be able to get up right away and go home under your own steam.

The most important thing for you to remember is that all you have to do is concentrate on your breathing. In and out, in and out, especially if you gag or get panicky, just remember to breathe . There will be a nurse hoping the endoscopist with the equipment, but the nurse that is there just for for you will be near your head and possibly holding a plastic mouth guard in place. That nurse will be talking to you and reminding you about the breathing, just listen to them, and if you start to gag, remember breathe in and out, and get control of your breathing.

I'm not going to promise it will be plain sailing but it will be over quickly! Good luck.

Edited to add - I don't like to contradict previous posters, but for clarity, the gastroscope is no wider than your little finger, certainly not 2cm.

Edited at 11:22 AM.
Disney_time is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List