Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Oct 19, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

I think it's appalling that they are using the diplomatic immunity card to prevent her facing justice.

It was a mistake yes, but a lad has lost his life as a result so it would be death by dangerous driving.

I do see the benefits of diplomatic immunity in some countries, where the laws differ hugely (UAE for example) - however in the US she would be prosecuted for what she did so why is the diplomatic immunity even valid?

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
stevekath
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
I’m not sure what she is to be brought back to be tried for? Dangerous driving? Do we jail people for dangerous driving. I feel sorry for both parties. It’s a horribly tragic situation but I’m not clear what outcome the family are looking for.
Well initially I would say she needs to return to cooperate with the police investigation. If the outcome of that is that there are charges to be brought then she would have to face that. From the interviews I saw with the parents I don't think they are looking for revenge, they just want their son's death to receive the due process he and they are entitled to. That's not possible if Mrs Sacoolas doesn't return.
As for Trump's stunt, just typical despicable behaviour from him. He probably wanted a nice photo op to show there were no hard feelings between the two parties but without having Mrs Sacoolas have to return here.

stevekath is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I suspect her husband will get a very quick posting as if she goes with him abroad again,she will once again have diplomatic immunity so can't be extradited.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Mobile

US news cycle moves fast.
The parents were invited to the White House, met President Trump, and had the opportunity to meet with Anne Sacoolas.
They refused.
That was their one and only chance to meet Sacoolas, they won't have another, because there's no way she will return to UK.

The US media has already moved on.
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
I’m not sure what she is to be brought back to be tried for? Dangerous driving? Do we jail people for dangerous driving. I feel sorry for both parties. It’s a horribly tragic situation but I’m not clear what outcome the family are looking for.
death by dangerous/careless driving very least

as a side note heard yesterday @23000 people in the UK claim diplomatic immunity & cant be prosecuted in the Uk

scary
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
sparklegirl
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
I suspect her husband will get a very quick posting as if she goes with him abroad again,she will once again have diplomatic immunity so can't be extradited.

I agree with this. I very much doubt the US would grant extradition either. Mr Trump isnt going to hand her over as despite the terrible incident that has happened the optics of him giving her to the United Kingdom wouldn't play well with his voting demographic and its an election year approaching. He has an America First agenda.
sparklegirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

we don’t know (well I don’t) what the husband’s job is on the airforce base. If it was something “top secret” or controversial in any way, the US government might want the situation to disappear quietly to avoid any sensitive info coming to light ?

(I could write a spy novel)
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
RachaelC
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I heard the Dunn’s lawyer on the radio earlier and he said that he thinks the decision to take her back to the US was one taken by the US military and not Sacoolas herself.

I have to say that my initial thoughts were of her fleeing, whereas it does seem that she had no choice in the matter. The lawyer also said he expected the penalty she would face here would remain in a magistrates court and consist of a fine and points on her licence, so there doesn’t seem to be any suggestion of it being anything other than a tragic accident.
RachaelC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
RachaelC
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post
we don’t know (well I don’t) what the husband’s job is on the airforce base. If it was something “top secret” or controversial in any way, the US government might want the situation to disappear quietly to avoid any sensitive info coming to light ?

(I could write a spy novel)
The Dunn’s lawyer said that he’s apparently a spy. Although he did also say that the action they have taken has drawn more attention to them and if they’d just let the law take it’s course then most people would never have even heard her name.
RachaelC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by RachaelC View Post
I heard the Dunn’s lawyer on the radio earlier and he said that he thinks the decision to take her back to the US was one taken by the US military and not Sacoolas herself.

I have to say that my initial thoughts were of her fleeing, whereas it does seem that she had no choice in the matter. The lawyer also said he expected the penalty she would face here would remain in a magistrates court and consist of a fine and points on her licence, so there doesn’t seem to be any suggestion of it being anything other than a tragic accident.
you dont "accidentally" drive on the wrong side of the road

you carelessly do it surely & albeit not intentional you should face the consequences, in this case a death
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List