Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 17 Oct 19, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Mickie View Post
I wouldn’t count on it! I’ve been shouted at for going up with my fiancée. “Are you married? Then wait”

I’ve been shouted at for not going up with my Fiancée “ Are you two travelling together then why are you waiting there”

In fact the main reason I married Mrs Mickie was so US Immigration would stop shouting at me!

Explain to the Orlando Airport staff member and then they’ll put you in the same queue. Then when called I’d ask the Immigration Officer if you should/could all go together as a group and do what they say! 😀

I suppose the shouting may be to bridge the 15 to 20 or so feet gap back to the red line from the immigration desk in a busy immigration hall.
But I may be totally wrong.
In the end of the day they are not paid to be nice. They take their job very seriously as a line of defence of the USA.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by PPM View Post
I suppose the shouting may be to bridge the 15 to 20 or so feet gap back to the red line from the immigration desk in a busy immigration hall.
But I may be totally wrong.
In the end of the day they are not paid to be nice. They take their job very seriously as a line of defence of the USA.
After entering the USA through Florida around 35 times we must have been extremely lucky not to have ever encountered a rude or aggressive Immigration Officer. True, they aren't auditioning for a comedy slot on "America's Got Talent" but they are doing a very effective job in controlling their borders.

I always find being polite and confident works well and the occasional "don't forget who was in charge of you lot back in 1775" helps a bit.

Mick
Old 17 Oct 19, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Kraken
Imagineer

Mick - please take no offence to my reply! Certain inaccuracies annoy me - such as the "monorail" to the main terminal from Airside 4. Last time I looked there were two rails on the train.

I too have generally had fairly friendly immigration officers over the past 20 years or so. There was one exception who was as miserable as hell, but in the main they have been pretty civil. The best one was when I was wearing an O2 England rugby shirt & he asked me what soccer team I supported... girlfriend [at the time & also a UK Border Agency officer] just piped up "his balls are the wrong shape for that" - the officer was still chuckling once he'd finished admitting us to the USA.
Kraken is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
anneeb
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
PPM

I'm often accused of posting wildly inaccurate information to mislead the OP. Hope they don't waste a few hours wandering around the immigration line looking for a TSA employee.

Mick
And then get on the monorail
anneeb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by anneeb View Post
And then get on the monorail
Naughty. Surely you mean the Automated People Mover that collects power from a central source and maybe runs on two concrete strips either side. Not a sign of magnetic levitation.

We had plenty of chance to study it back in Nov 17 when we had to walk alongside the track from the station to the central concourse when it was in lock down following the explosion.

There's a nice photo of it in the International Arrival Guide on the MCO web site

Mick

Edited at 08:42 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

After entering the USA through Florida around 35 times we must have been extremely lucky not to have ever encountered a rude or aggressive Immigration Officer. True, they aren't auditioning for a comedy slot on "America's Got Talent" but they are doing a very effective job in controlling their borders.

I always find being polite and confident works well and the occasional "don't forget who was in charge of you lot back in 1775" helps a bit.

Mick
Count to 10 Gadgey and let all wash over you Please continue with your helpful ways, no matter how you word it

Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
Mick - please take no offence to my reply! Certain inaccuracies annoy me - such as the "monorail" to the main terminal from Airside 4. Last time I looked there were two rails on the train.
Kraken, please don't be annoyed, if the tourist penny drops by others comprehending monorail vs APM (many also refer to LGW's ITS as monorail) and Virgin Atlantic as VA vs VS, or calling one of the thousands of staff in/around US immigration a TSA agent, if it helps the person asking it's all good, it's better to support/make it easier for the asking traveller - I'm a believer in proper English but learnt not to sweat the small stuff, whatever helps others is fine
Old 17 Oct 19, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Mickie
Apprentice Imagineer

Mickie's Reviews
After entering the USA through Florida around 35 times we must have been extremely lucky not to have ever encountered a rude or aggressive Immigration Officer.

Mick
To be fair it wasn’t’ Florida where I have encountered the less than helpful Officers. Think it was New York and Chicago. Master Mickie even managed to crack a smile out of the MCO one last year! 😁
Mickie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Thanks Chris

Don't worry - after over 15 years on here there's far more satisfaction for me to see 99% of people who appreciate help. We all get some satisfaction from posting on here I guess.

My last word on this thread I think - I may be guilty of an inappropriate use of an apostrophe or something similarly serious.

Mick

Edited at 09:23 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post
ManCity
Helping Minnie

Immigration is not something you can plan 6 months in advance. They have staff directing people to the different booths, so you just do whatever you are told when you are there - simple! They speak English (with an accent!) so you can easily ask questions if unsure. Even if several people go up together, you are still processed one by one - they swipe your passport, your photo is taken (and the computer checks it against the passport, as they are using facial biometrics at MCO) and get asked a few personal questions, before doing the next person. Only one person can stand in front of the camera at a time, and there is limited space around the booth, so it is understandable they limit the number of people going up together. It probably depends on who is on duty supervising the queue, and what they think is the most efficient way of processing people, and how many others are in your family group. You are only separated by a few feet, even if you go to separate officers. Whilst MCO is no longer using the APC kiosks, they are still in use at some other airports, so the procedure at different airports does vary. In the rare cases when an adult in a group is deemed to be a problem, that person is likely to be taken aside on their own for further questioning without the others.

There are a lot of other points in your journey where you will definitely be done separately. After check-in at LGW, you go through an automated gate one-by-one scanning your boarding card, and then through a body scanner one-by-one. On return to the UK, immigration for adults is now done at automated gates - one by one, scanning your passport. Arguably, these are more problematic and so potentially more 'scary'.
ManCity is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List