Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 2 May 17, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post

Size matters

hi guys i know a sticky exists for this subject but if no one is bothered i would like to bring it back into the open ...my size is 40" waist and i have broad shoulders with a 56-58" chest ...can any of the larger guys tell me if they had any issues with the rides at universal or disney who are close to my own measurements , i still have 2 months or so to go and still trying to cut down a few more inches
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 17, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post

allears.net has a series of articles and tips about holidaying in disney/universal using the tag "at large" and this covers height, size etc. There are test seats outside most of the rides that have tighter seat sizes and you can discreetly ask the cast member at the queue entrance if they think the ride seat will be comfortable for you and thus avoid a potentially wasted queue or unpleasant fit in the ride seat.

I believe it is quite a small number of rides that are potentially an issue and some are down to height as much as anything else so certainly nothing to feel awkward about. A few minutes preparation (like this thread!) will give you a heads up about which rides might be tight (I know we had some problems on the simpsons ride getting the car secured with two very tall and broad guests in the same row but it was done after a couple of repositions! ) You will have a full experience regardless of if you trim down further or not so try not to worry and enjoy You will see all sorts, shapes, sizes and abilities everywhere you look - you will never be the "most" or "least" anything there, which I love.
Old 2 May 17, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
dismadbrit
Imagineer

dismadbrit's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 13
Mu hubby has huge shoulders and chest and always has trouble on HP Forbidden Journey, luckily there is a seat to try before you queue.
Old 2 May 17, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Rachie76
Proud to wear my Ears

DH has the same problem. There were no rides he couldn't go on but if I remember correctly, on Forbidden Journey he was told to ride on the outside seats and on Rip rocket he was told rows 3 or 6 but all others were fine.
Rachie76 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 17, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Rachie76 View Post
DH has the same problem. There were no rides he couldn't go on but if I remember correctly, on Forbidden Journey he was told to ride on the outside seats and on Rip rocket he was told rows 3 or 6 but all others were fine.
how does your D/H compare to my own size just for a guideline for myself ...do i need to drop anther waist size or chest size.
Old 2 May 17, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
smudgester
Serious Dibber

I am 42" waist and chest is about 54". I am also 6'3" with the majority of it being between waist and shoulders (if that makes sense).

I didn't have any issues with the vast majority of the sit down rides, eg all the simulator rides at universal were fine, in any of the parks but really struggled for all the rides with "over the shoulder / pull down" harnesses as, whilst they got over my head and didn't crush my chest they weren't able to clip down properly so no go

The restraint on Rip Ride Rocket, IIRC, seemed to just be a really heavy bar (and I mean really heavy) across the waist and I thought I was going to faint just sitting in the tester seat.

One of the HP rides ( the one where you go through the bank to get to the ride ) I was fine one - despite not fitting into the test seat outside - but make sure you sit in the back row of the car. I have since been informed that I would have probably fitted on Forbidden Journey (again despite not fitting the test seat) - but, again, sit on the outer most seats of the car.

IIRC there are also a couple of rides with a shared lap t-bar which means a large person sharing with a small person potentially makes the ride a bit more uncomfortable for the smaller person
smudgester is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 17, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

i'm a similar size (i'm 5'11"), and have had issues mostly on coasters where the harness goes over your shoulders. if the seat part was a fraction deeper/wider, i dont think i'd have any issues anywhere

the main ones i had issues with were rock'n'roller coaster, harry potter (forbidden journey? the one inside the mountain) and the hulk. i've always managed to get on duelling dragons though, although id get in a lot easier if the seat was a bit deeper!

i got on them all the last time i tried though, so its worth trying at least!
wanye is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 17, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by wanye View Post
i'm a similar size (i'm 5'11"), and have had issues mostly on coasters where the harness goes over your shoulders. if the seat part was a fraction deeper/wider, i dont think i'd have any issues anywhere

the main ones i had issues with were rock'n'roller coaster, harry potter (forbidden journey? the one inside the mountain) and the hulk. i've always managed to get on duelling dragons though, although id get in a lot easier if the seat was a bit deeper!

i got on them all the last time i tried though, so its worth trying at least!
ok guys great info gives me something to work on with just going with daughter it means anything i cant go on she will have to miss out so will have to get more active at the gym...i totally understand the issue with the over the head bars from the past..