Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Feb 19, 11:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Elsie
Imagineer

The Last 12 Months - An Update

I posted this thread: The Last 12 Months on the 29th August 2018, about how my life had been turned upside down by my wife walking out on me the previous January, how I’d tried to cope with it and after booking a solo trip to WDW, I was moving on.

Little did I know how less than one month later my life was due to dramatically change course again…

In September I met a lady who I’ll refer to as ‘T’. We had been talking online and on the phone for a while but it was nothing serious; I confided in her about my situation, she spoke to me about hers and as she’d been through a divorce herself, she helped explain what was going on. There is the adage of it being ‘good to talk’ and I certainly found that to be true – although I wish I’d fully realised that before my wife left. The more T and I talked, the more obvious it became that one day we’d have to meet for a fact to face conversation. T had told me that she had a ‘time consuming’ job and worked ‘long hours’ but really enjoyed it; any meeting would need to be carefully planned.

‘Hmm’, I thought – but OK, ‘ Lets do this’. In for a penny and all that.

We finally met and we’ve not looked back. Literally. T has changed my outlook on life, on family, on my, or rather our, future. In the first few weeks we’d see each other when we could, me fitting in and around her very busy work schedule. We would see each other whenever we could and on the days we couldn’t, she’d be the last person I spoke to at night and the first message in the morning. I did know what she did for her job and when I reveal it, you’ll understand the hours, commitment and anonymity required.

As much as I was enjoying my time with her, I felt very uncomfortable about my own children. Yes, their Mum had left me and we were getting a divorce but what would they think about me seeing someone else? I tried to hide it from them; I’m going to the cinema/football/working late but it got to the point where I didn’t want to do this anymore and had to tell the truth. As soon as I told the kids I knew they’d tell their Mum so I worked out a plan to see my children first to let them know and arranged for my wife to come around soon after so I could inform her. I wanted to be the one to tell her, not my children. I was absolutely terrified of what might happen, but I needn’t have been. I explained to my kids that I had been seeing T and we were getting on really well. My eldest son, 21, looked me straight in the eye and said “Dad, we know”. They’d already sussed out something was going on they didn’t know what exactly; so much for me being a cloak & dagger spy. My kids were OK about it: “We don’t want you or Mum to be unhappy, if you find it with someone else, good luck”. My wife arrived and I had to tell her. To my surprise she was also OK. I was expecting (but did NOT want it to), cause a row but she was fine, asking about T and, when I explained the situation she nodded, smiled nicely and said “I hope you’re happy together!”. There was no animosity, no anger just good will.

I’d had two weeks of gut-wrenching worry working out how to reveal T to my family as I didn’t want to hide her/us anymore but scared of the repercussions. It was such a weight off my shoulders when I did tell them as lying is a heavy burden.

The more T and I talked, the more time we spent together, the more our friendship, trust and love for each grew. Yes, I know this sounds like a corny Readers Digest novel but it’s true – and its happened to me, at 51! I’ve gone from the despair of not knowing what life holds to having someone to plan a future with. And speaking of planning, I had of course told her of my love for Florida, Orlando, WDW & my planned solo trip to which she informed me, “I’ve never been to the USA, I’d love to come with you.” “Could you get the time off work?” I asked. “I can try”. She then went away to make special arrangements about her work and confirmed she could get the time so we contacted Virgin and Virgin Atlantic and had her added to my booking; I even managed to bag her the seat next to me in PE upstairs using my air miles.

My planned solo trip to enjoy WDW and Orlando on my own as a kind of therapy for becoming single has now become a first trip with T – and I couldn’t be happier! As I write there are just 9 days before we depart. Our first holiday together, her first time in the USA and all the ‘magic’ of WDW and US to look forward to. My solo plans have been entirely trashed and apart from a few fast passes, we’re just going to take each day as it comes and enjoy it as much as possible.

None of us knows what the future holds for us, I certainly don’t! All any of us can do is play the hand we’ve been dealt. T and I can see a future with each other and that’s what we’re happily starting to work towards, as we work around and with her very busy job of working in child care. You really can’t get more ‘time consuming’ than that!

It just goes to show that even when you're feeling at your lowest, you never know what joy can be just around the corner!

Feb 1997 - Quality Inn Plaza on I-Drive / Sep 2003 - Westridge Villa on US27 / Feb 2005 - Westridge Villa on US27 / Aug 2007 - Indian Creek Villa / Aug 2015 - Indian Creek Villa / Mar 2019 - Red Lion Maingate

Edited at 11:44 PM.
Elsie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 19, 11:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
I remember your original post and am so glad you've found happiness again with T who sounds lovely. Hopefully your trip to Disney will be the first of many and she will love it as much as you. We all love to read a "happily ever after story" and have a fantastic trip
Mel49 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 19, 11:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Hope you have a fabulous time together. X
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 19, 12:00 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyStacey
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I remember your original post.
Wishing you both a fantastic trip together.
And I wish you every happiness with your life going forward, wherever that may take you! X
DisneyStacey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 19, 12:08 AM  
Link to this Post
3disneykids
Imagineer

I am so pleased for you. You genuinely deserve happiness.
Hope you both enjoy T's first trip to WDW what a great new adventure you are both going on
3disneykids is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 19, 12:16 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

That is lovely. Thanks for sharing and have a fantastic holiday.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 19, 12:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Bouncing Tigger
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
I too remember your first post, I am so happy for you. Have an amazing holiday!

Quality Inn International Oct 97 & Sep 2002
Rosen Inn @ Pointe Orlando Nov 2006
Coco Key Hotel & Water Park Oct 2012
POR Oct 2017 30th anniversary trip
May 2019 POFQ
POFQ again 2022
The best of the best 2023
Bouncing Tigger is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 19, 12:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Miss_Tangled
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Sometimes life has a way of working out, it’s really great to read your update.
I hope your trip is everything you expect and more
* Tarpon Springs '07 * New York '07 * Hampton Lakes '09 * Mission Park March '11 * Four Corners Sep '11 * Dream Castle DLP December '12 * Florida Pines '14 & Grand Floridian Everglades Suite! * New York City...Surprise 30th December '14 * Lindfields & Grand Floridian September '15 * 1st trip with our little lady! WDW September '17 * DLP February ‘18 * 3 wks POR September '19 *
Miss_Tangled is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 19, 02:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Ciano
Imagineer

Ciano's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Life is so short, it's so important to make the most of every opportunity to be happy! Delighted for you.
Old 26 Feb 19, 02:36 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Lovely to read such a positive update.

I hope you both have a fantastic trip.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List