Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Jun 19, 04:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Purplefrog
slightly serious Dibber

My daughter does a self defense class. The man who runs it says teenagers are far more likely to be victims of knife crime than any other age.
Absolutely terrifying
Purplefrog is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 19, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by katiec68 View Post
The issue is there are no more officers to deal with it -
throwing money at it is for overtime etc - most front line officers DO NOT WANT the overtime or re-rostered rest day
s.

some met officers are at 50+ days straight in a row as they are having rest days cancelled etc and are not allowed leave.

So when they say "we have extra officers on the street" what they mean is they have either robbed peter to pay paul or they are not giving front line staff any rest!

This is exactly the same scenario as the NHS before I retired. I could find the money to pay overtime and extra nurses, by cutting back elsewhere , BUT no one wanted the overtime, no one wants to be a nurse... and TBH despite a thirty year career I would not want any of my family entering any of the public services
, underpaid , undervalued and disrespected
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 19, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

I would be beyond terrified to have teenagers and to live in any of these areas, or big cities. The world is truly such a scary place!

I am so grateful for all the public services and for the great work they all do, especially in these areas, I really am.
One of our sons is a student nurse and although his plans are currently to join the RAF as an officer as soon as he can after qualifying , he has to work as a nurse for 2 years after first and I so hope he chooses st stay here as it is (relatively) safer rather than joining some friends who have moved to the London area.
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 19, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
there was a piece on Radio four this morning about Liverpool. Kids as young as 11 and 12 are being paid up to one thousand pounds to stab other youngsters.

Its really a Huge issue now, not sure what the answer is
WHY? Who on earth is paying kids to stab other kids & why? Who has £1K to do that and why for goodness sake just WHY!
Old 17 Jun 19, 04:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by THE WIZARD View Post
WHY? Who on earth is paying kids to stab other kids & why? Who has £1K to do that and why for goodness sake just WHY!
My thoughts too It just doesn't bear thinking a bout does it?
I'm guessing this has to be related to gang/drug disputes etc though between older teens and not just random acts of violence? Not that stabbing anyone whatever age or whatever for is ever not totally horrific...
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 19, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Cabbie
Imagineer

Cabbie's Reviews
It's all drug/gang related, a grand is peanuts to these people

-Steve
Florida-07,08,09,10,11,12,14,16,17,19,21,23 California-06,10,11,15,23,24 Vegas 12,13,15,22 New York- 05,08,12,17,23 Washington DC-09 Boston-07,10 Hong Kong-05,16 Tokyo-05 Dubai-09,14 Jamaica-12 Abu Dhabi-18 Shanghai-18 Toronto-19 Singapore-22
Cabbie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 19, 04:55 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Cabbie View Post
It's all drug/gang related, a grand is peanuts to these people

-Steve
So once again then, Crime does in fact pay
Old 17 Jun 19, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzymcfarlane
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

And this isn’t restricted to London and other bigger cities. This is an issue all over Britain. From Stornoway to Portsmouth. Any British police officer can tell you knife stories which will curdle your toes
dizzymcfarlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 19, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
theguardian/commenti...ife-crime-cuts
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 19, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Originally Posted by Cloverlady View Post
My thoughts too It just doesn't bear thinking a bout does it?
I'm guessing this has to be related to gang/drug disputes etc though between older teens and not just random acts of violence? Not that stabbing anyone whatever age or whatever for is ever not totally horrific...

Liverpool teenagers 'paid money to stab other youths' Teenagers are being offered up to £1,000 by gang leaders in Liverpool to stab other youngsters, the BBC has learned. Bounties are being paid by "elders" who want to avoid carrying out the attacks themselves, young people have told the BBC Beyond Today podcast.17 hours ago
bbc/news/uk-england-merseyside-48647788

The kids interviewed said that other kids go and watch as entertainment.