Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 17 Oct 19, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
lastdisney
Earning More Ears

Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
If you're talking Virgin economy, about the only options right now (and I searched only for four people) for a 2 week-ish trip would be:

OUT
Sun 2nd / Mon 3rd / Tue 4th / Wed 5th LHR -> MIA
Tue 4th / Wed 5th LGW -> MCO

RETURN
Tue 18th / Wed 19th MIA -> LHR

You may find more options if you're travel party is smaller or if you were happy to use miles for some people and pay cash for others.
Thanks I'm looking for 2 people Orlando - LGW (don't mind changing) but its dates 29th or 30th August
lastdisney is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
lastdisney
Earning More Ears

Originally Posted by loola30 View Post
Same here - got my outgoing flights but am waiting for direct returns back to London, ideally MCO>LGW. Such a shame they don't do combi fares any more as one-way cash fares are eye-watering.
Thats what I'm after. Starting to look at other options now and it seems Norweigan is the cheapest but worried about booking with them.
lastdisney is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
boomie
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

We’ve had reward flights in August for years. The majority of the time I’ve had to book outbound and inbound separately. Patience is the key!
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge - Dec 2017
Disney Dream Cruise & Disney's Boardwalk 2018
boomie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
lastdisney
Earning More Ears

Originally Posted by boomie View Post
We’ve had reward flights in August for years. The majority of the time I’ve had to book outbound and inbound separately. Patience is the key!
Fingers crossed
Old 17 Oct 19, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
howerd
VIP Dibber

We are in the same boat! We already have outbound booked with BA using Avios LGW-TPA on the 11th August but looking to return around the last weekend in August with Virgin and there is nothing! We were counting on coming back from Miami as they seemed to have loads of reward availability but since the Thomas Cook collapse those all seem to have disappeared! We would be happy to come back from Orlando or Miami but we only have Virgin miles now so has to be with them really! We are trying to be patient and keep fingers crossed that they release further availability but starting to get a bit stressful!
howerd is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by howerd View Post
We are in the same boat! We already have outbound booked with BA using Avios LGW-TPA on the 11th August but looking to return around the last weekend in August with Virgin and there is nothing! We were counting on coming back from Miami as they seemed to have loads of reward availability but since the Thomas Cook collapse those all seem to have disappeared! We would be happy to come back from Orlando or Miami but we only have Virgin miles now so has to be with them really! We are trying to be patient and keep fingers crossed that they release further availability but starting to get a bit stressful!
You could pay for a single with Norweigen from Tampa
munmun is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Mary A
Imagineer

Mary A's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Yes x3. Man to mco, booked previous November. Flexibility is the key imo

First visit 1989, last visit March 19. Next holiday Washington, Key West & Orlando May 20. Planning Hawaii for March 21
Mary A is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Noodle500
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tinkerella123 View Post
Yes I had booked as soon as they were Released, I had to book inbound and outbound on release date, however it may be a coincidence but since the TC collapse there has been no direct flights available, very unusual this year as previous years wasn’t a problem. There are indirect flights available, Presume you were asking about virgin not BA.
I found the availability drop after TC collapse. We'd booked outbound Man to Mco 8th August PE fine but nothing direct return. We saw a PE indirect via Atlanta but it would have meant purchasing almost £1000 worth of air miles!
We've only enough for economy return.

Finally decided to take an economy reward flight from JFK to LHR. We've paid for delta flights between MCO and JFK and chosen to spend 2 nights in New York. Probably costing about £500 more than being able to get direct flights from MCO but a chance to visit New York is great.

We'll have 18 nights in Orlando and 2 nights in New York. We'd got 3 weeks off work to allow for flexibility for availability so chuffed we got 18 nights in Orlando.

Edited at 05:11 PM.
Noodle500 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
eaglesrest
Apprentice Imagineer

OP - there are no direct reward flights inbound to MAN/LGW on VA in any class end of August early September 2020. They normally release a few when the flex tickets are released but this year they did not do that. Well they did but nobody could book them - thats another story.

So, there are dozens, possibly hundreds of us with one way outbound flights booked on miles with no way of getting an inbound flight to the same airport.

The only options for inbound I have seen are Glasgow PE and we have booked those for our party. Not ideal but at least we have flights at a good price.

At this stage its un-chartered territory (pardon the pun) - the TC collapse I'm sure has impacted VA's release of inbound flights. I've been getting rewards flights for decades and never had this issue.

If you are stuck to school hols then you have 3 options as I see it:
1. Book outbound reward, if you can find one that suits. Book inbound to GLA if it suits your dates
2. Book outbound reward, hope VA release inbound to LGW and hope you are one of the first to get them. I know that there are people with alerts set to trigger when they are released, others that are checking hourly throughout the day etc. Its a gamble
3. Give up on rewards, and book a cash flight you are happy with

I'd be offering the same advice as some other posters if I hadn't been through this scenario the past few weeks. No amount of flexibility or patience will help if you are stuck to term time hols and VA have lots of additional TC cash customers for your dates.

Edited at 05:39 PM.
eaglesrest is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by eaglesrest View Post
OP - there are no direct reward flights inbound to MAN/LGW on VA in any class end of August early September 2020. They normally release a few when the flex tickets are released but this year they did not do that. Well they did but nobody could book them - thats another story.

So, there are dozens, possibly hundreds of us with one way outbound flights booked on miles with no way of getting an inbound flight to the same airport.

The only options for inbound I have seen are Glasgow PE and we have booked those for our party. Not ideal but at least we have flights at a good price.

At this stage its un-chartered territory (pardon the pun) - the TC collapse I'm sure has impacted VA's release of inbound flights. I've been getting rewards flights for decades and never had this issue.

If you are stuck to school hols then you have 3 options as I see it:
1. Book outbound reward, if you can find one that suits. Book inbound to GLA if it suits your dates
2. Book outbound reward, hope VA release inbound to LGW and hope you are one of the first to get them. I know that there are people with alerts set to trigger when they are released, others that are checking hourly throughout the day etc. Its a gamble
3. Give up on rewards, and book a cash flight you are happy with

I'd be offering the same advice as some other posters if I hadn't been through this scenario the past few weeks. No amount of flexibility or patience will help if you are stuck to term time hols and VA have lots of additional TC cash customers for your dates.
Last option, stop collecting virgin miles and collect BA miles as they guarantee to release seats on every flight. Of course it doesnt help if you dont want to come down south.
munmun is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List