Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 17 Oct 19, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
miss_mouse
Imagineer

Esta/Immigration

Hi!

We are taking our Son's girlfriend with us next year.
She will be 18 when we travel.

We've never travelled with anyone else before.
I was going to do her own esta rather than a group (just in case there's any issues so it doesn't effect our's).

But when it comes to going through immigration is the US, I'm guessing she goes through on her own as she's at a different address?

She's never left the country before and is terrified. I just want to be prepared so I know what to expect for her.

Thank you

@adeandlisadodisney

All of my Trip Reports...Here!
miss_mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Reunion
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Even if you apply as a group everyone has their own individual Esta... it's only for payment and tracking.
She will need to go through Immigration on her own though - reassure her that many of the officers at MCO are used to nervous travellers and she will be fine! Some of them can even be quite humerous.
Reunion is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 01:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Cez
Getting Excited

Cez's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
When I first travelled with my now husband's family, we all went to the same desk even though we all lived at different addresses and had different surnames.

When it was just me and my now husband and before we lived at the same address, we have had to go to different desks so I have had 2 different experiences.

We have flown to Sanford and MCO but I can't remember what happened at each airport.

It's nothing to worry about though if she goes on her own.

DLP 2016
Cez is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 01:37 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Get her to go through in front of you that way you are their to reassure her and answer any questions if needed.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Although the Immigration Officers are not renowned for their sense of humour contrary to some popular belief they are not fearsome ogres.

When you get to the front of the queue and the TSA officer directs you to wait near the next available desk just explain that it's her first visit and very nervous and is it OK for her to go through with you?

The rule about living at the same address was listed on the old customs form which I haven't seen in a couple of years.

I'm sure that common sense will prevail.

Mick
Old 17 Oct 19, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post
miss_mouse
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Although the Immigration Officers are not renowned for their sense of humour contrary to some popular belief they are not fearsome ogres.

When you get to the front of the queue and the TSA officer directs you to wait near the next available desk just explain that it's her first visit and very nervous and is it OK for her to go through with you?

The rule about living at the same address was listed on the old customs form which I haven't seen in a couple of years.

Mick
Thank you.
I was thinking the same

@adeandlisadodisney

All of my Trip Reports...Here!
miss_mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Kraken
Imagineer

Mick
Slightly inaccurate - it's an Orlando Airport (MCO) staff member who manages the immigration queue and tells you which desk to wait behind the line for. You only meet the TSA (Airport Security) staff when you fly home & have to clear the security checkpoint.

That said, a quiet word with the MCO staff member should ensure you're sent to the same desk queue.
Kraken is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Mickie
Apprentice Imagineer

Mickie's Reviews
Mobile

Mick
I wouldn’t count on it! I’ve been shouted at for going up with my fiancée. “Are you married? Then wait”

I’ve been shouted at for not going up with my Fiancée “ Are you two travelling together then why are you waiting there”

In fact the main reason I married Mrs Mickie was so US Immigration would stop shouting at me!

Explain to the Orlando Airport staff member and then they’ll put you in the same queue. Then when called I’d ask the Immigration Officer if you should/could all go together as a group and do what they say! 😀
Mickie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
Slightly inaccurate - it's an Orlando Airport (MCO) staff member who manages the immigration queue and tells you which desk to wait behind the line for. You only meet the TSA (Airport Security) staff when you fly home & have to clear the security checkpoint.

That said, a quiet word with the MCO staff member should ensure you're sent to the same desk queue.
Glad you sorted that out, but the OP would meet the person whoever they worked for so not a problem. I’m sure Mick will take your correction onboard for future reference
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by PPM View Post
Glad you sorted that out, but the OP would meet the person whoever they worked for so not a problem. I’m sure Mick will take your correction onboard for future reference
PPM

I'm often accused of posting wildly inaccurate information to mislead the OP. Hope they don't waste a few hours wandering around the immigration line looking for a TSA employee.

Mick

Edited at 06:23 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List