Notices
Shopping in Florida For all those Shopaholics out there.

Closed Thread

Old 11 Nov 14, 12:37 AM  
Link to this Post
cambsno
Serious Dibber

When I have been to the U.S. I simply remove labels etc... If you buy trainers for example wear them a couple of times, then it's not obvious you got them there.
cambsno is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 14, 12:45 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by cambsno View Post
When I have been to the U.S. I simply remove labels etc... If you buy trainers for example wear them a couple of times, then it's not obvious you got them there.
Here we go again. People discussing on an open forum how to break the law.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 14, 01:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Heather1957
Imagineer

Do you think that C & E are stupid?

TBH if you buy some clothes and a few pairs of trainers I doubt you'd go over the allowance but you can't pull the wool over the eyes of people whose job it is to suss out people who are illegally trying to bring in excess items.
Old 11 Nov 14, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Cleanfoam
Trying for More Ears

While I don;t condone breaking the law, I'm pretty sure that the good people at C & E have much more to be doing with their time than trying to figure out if the trainers you're wearing are more than a week old. I've always figured if I happen to end up going over my limit by the price of a T shirt and some socks that it's really not an issue - if I decide to bring home £1000's of stuff then I'd deserve what I get if caught.

I certainly won't be sitting adding up receipts to check if I can safely buy that last Hollister top! For most people it's not even something to think about let alone get all worked up about.
Cleanfoam is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 14, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Heather1957
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Cleanfoam View Post
While I don;t condone breaking the law, I'm pretty sure that the good people at C & E have much more to be doing with their time than trying to figure out if the trainers you're wearing are more than a week old. I've always figured if I happen to end up going over my limit by the price of a T shirt and some socks that it's really not an issue - if I decide to bring home £1000's of stuff then I'd deserve what I get if caught.

I certainly won't be sitting adding up receipts to check if I can safely buy that last Hollister top! For most people it's not even something to think about let alone get all worked up about.
I kind of agree and disagree with this.

I don't buy large items back my shopping this year the most expensive items I bought consisted on some ornaments from Robert's Christmas shop, 2 Fossil watches (from the outlet) and 2 pairs of Fossil sunglasses. The rest was a few items from Cracker Barrell and chocolate from Lindt.

I don't have expensive tastes!

Now some people post how they buy designer clothes including trainers some electrical items and jewellery which are likely to exceed the limit so in these cases I do believe they should spend time counting up the cost.
Old 11 Nov 14, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

It was me who mentioned totting up receipts, but please remember that I travel solo with quite a lot of baggage so I am fair game for C&E. Also until I retired, a prosecution for tax/duty evasion would have lost me my job. Hence why I'm cautious. I'm always accused of being holier than thou, a sanctimonious goody 2 shoes on the regular threads like this, but I'm only answering questions asked, not preaching. I really could not care less what any of you declare or not so please don't judge me.

Linda xx
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 14, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Heather1957
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post
It was me who mentioned totting up receipts, but please remember that I travel solo with quite a lot of baggage so I am fair game for C&E. Also until I retired, a prosecution for tax/duty evasion would have lost me my job. Hence why I'm cautious. I'm always accused of being holier than thou, a sanctimonious goody 2 shoes on the regular threads like this, but I'm only answering questions asked, not preaching. I really could not care less what any of you declare or not so please don't judge me.

Linda xx
I had a bit of a panic this year Linda as my mother was taken through on the back of one of the disabled trolleys, they took her all the way to where the bus dropped us off.

I was left to come through C & E with 3 cases and 2 pieces of luggage which contained all our items I was a bit twitchy going through although I am sure they have plans for when this happens!
Old 11 Nov 14, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Cleanfoam
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post

Linda xx
I wasn't having a go about the receipts
Cleanfoam is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 14, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

And this is exactly why if you are stopped the onus of proof is on you to demonstrate that you didn't buy them in the USA. They assume you have bought almost everything in the US and you have to prove otherwise. They aren't stupid.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 14, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
gavdon
slightly serious Dibber

Cash purchases only then.
gavdon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread