Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Apr 19, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
I love walmart
Being a bit Goofy

Mobile Any Isle of Man dibbers? Or anyone who lived there a while?

I visited the Isle of Man about 3 years ago and loved it. I thought it seemed like a lovely safe place to live. I have never considered relocating anywhere in England or even the world until I visited there. And as our own town is getting rougher by the day, I find myself think of it more and more.
So tell me, am I deluded? Is it a good place to live? How is employment? Would my self employed building trade husband struggle? Are there things you simply can’t do unless you go to the mainland?
I love walmart is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

I live here! I'm 32 and lived here all my life. It is not a busy and exciting place, we don't have great shops or bouncing nightlife, and the cinema offerings are rubbish (all common things people complain about). That said, I think it offers a great quality of life, for those who want to embrace it. The outdoors is amazing, its so beautiful with so many activities. There are clubs and groups for everything, so for those who have interests and want to, its easy to integrate.

For people used to having everything at their fingertips, Island living can be a challenge - our health service is limited so referrals off Island are frequent, there are no 24 hour supermarkets, the bus service isn't great, roadworks take forever and cost a fortune, etc. Things are also more expensive that you're used to - petrol just went up to 125.9p per litre today, road tax is higher, electricity is 16p a unit, groceries cost about 5% more in Tesco, etc. That said, income tax is lower - our higher rate band is 20%. Its a safe place to live and crime is low. We do have the unpleasant parts of society just like everywhere else - drugs, homelessness, domestic abuse, kids in care, etc. - but they're better hidden than say a UK city centre.

There is low unemployment. I know nothing about the building trade, but you would both likely need a work permit to work here, even on a self employed basis. The system is designed to protect and promote Isle of Man workers, except in exempt sectors, so you may want to look into the criteria for permits.

There's a group on Facebook called Isle of Man, what? where? when? how? & general help - it might be useful to ask about the building trade there. I often see posts from people thinking of moving here.

Any questions, just ask.

P.S. we don't call the UK the mainland; we are legally separate and we have our own laws, parliament are government... so this is the mainland We call the UK "across".
Old 24 Apr 19, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
disney_l81
Very Serious Dibber

I lived there all my life till I went to uni, then left, couldn't wait to leave, when I was 18, but got homesick 😁 I haven't, lived there properly for a few good years now though I love visiting as my friends and family are all still there, my daughter loves to visit. Its still where I call 'home' As Kate says, scenery is stunning, crime relatively low, and generally a nice safe place to live.

Cost of living is high, many of my friends cannot afford to buy their own places so rent. Not too many shops, but is a bit better than it used to be. Place comes alive in June when the TT races are on and it's like a different place, my dads always loved the bikes and is a keen amateur photographer.

A few things to think about for sure, but it is a lovely place and I do miss it, get all sentimental when i see something on the telly with the island on.
disney_l81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 19, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I’m just back from a 4 night break. Loved IOM. Such a lovely place. Everyone we encountered, and I mean everyone was so friendly. From hotel staff, to waiting staff, bar staff, shop staff, on all trips we did and even people on the streets! We were told crime rate is low. They only pay 10 or 20% tax. A lot of companies registered on IOM including my brothers company (he works for an oil company in Aberdeen) so must be good incentive to be based here. Is there not something that if you want to live/work in the IOM you have to have a job/skill and a certain amount of money in the bank? I could be wrong. They have their own currency too but accepted our Scottish notes. On our 4 night trip we did a pub crawl, electric train to the town at the top (sorry can’t remember the name), pie and mash train, buses and also did a motor trike tour on the TT track which was great fun. Some beautiful houses on the IOM. I can see why you’d consider moving there. Interesting skalealexander about homelessness. We commented at the time as we didn’t see any beggars or homeless people. I had a look on the IOM gov website and there’s a list of jobs on there too.
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 19, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Jet
Imagineer

I love the Isle of Man!
I met my husband there 45 years ago!
I lived there for six months whilst working.
I used to also go on holiday there when I was in my teens.
When we came back from Spain it was one of the places we thought about moving to.

Edited at 06:20 PM.
Jet is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 19, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
I love walmart
Being a bit Goofy

Mobile

Thanks for the comments. It’s given me something to think about and research.
I’m not normally one to fall in love with places and see it as anything more than good holiday vibes. But the Isle of Man was different. It was a wonderful, friendly safe and clean place. The general feel of the place for me was a good one. We didn’t do anything particularly fancy or expensive, but I did visit the best tea shop ever! I can’t remember the name but the choice of teas was amazing. Lovely cake and sandwiches too 😁
I love walmart is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 19, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MinniMouse View Post
Interesting skalealexander about homelessness. We commented at the time as we didn’t see any beggars or homeless people.
Like I say, it’s less visible and probably less prevalent too, but it exists. That said, I am likely only aware because I’m a lawyer working predominantly in the criminal justice system - most people probably have no idea.

There’s no minimum savings required to move here, and no need to have particular skills or occupations. There is a work permit system, as explained a bit in my first post, but that’s it.

Sounds like you went to the Tea Junction? One of my favourites, their cakes are amazing, got them making a baby shower cake for my best friend for this weekend.

Edited at 10:55 PM.
skalexander is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 19, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post
I love walmart
Being a bit Goofy

Mobile

Originally Posted by skalexander View Post
Like I say, it’s less visible and probably less prevalent too, but it exists. That said, I am likely only aware because I’m a lawyer working predominantly in the criminal justice system - most people probably have no idea.

There’s no minimum savings required to move here, and no need to have particular skills or occupations. There is a work permit system, as explained a bit in my first post, but that’s it.

Sounds like you went to the Tea Junction? One of my favourites, their cakes are amazing, got them making a baby shower cake for my best friend for this weekend.
Yes, that’s it The Tea Junction! What a lovely place ❤️
Old 27 Jun 19, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Emma-p
Excited about Disney

Hi! going to the Isle Of Man in July, for the Island games my daughter is competing, staying in the Empress Douglas, anybody know of any nice places to eat? not too expensive saving for My October Holiday to Florida
Emma-p is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Emma-p View Post
Hi! going to the Isle Of Man in July, for the Island games my daughter is competing, staying in the Empress Douglas, anybody know of any nice places to eat? not too expensive saving for My October Holiday to Florida
If you like Thai, then Thai Thai is very good, one of my favourites.

We have some good Italians, my favourite is in Laxey (La Mona Lisa) but in Douglas I love Paparazzi, Isola, Just Pizza and Pasta and La Piazza.

If you fancy tea and cake, the Tea Junction is lovely.

For pub grub, Barbary Coast is popular. I also love the Hawthorn but it’s out of town.

Random, but I thought the 2019 games were in Gibraltar?