Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 5 Feb 20, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
riversider2014
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
If you only stream Amazon Prime and YouTube videos then you don't need a TV licence.

You don't need a TV licence to stream content. You need a TV licence to watch or record TV shows as they are broadcast or to use BBC iPlayer.

You don't need a TV licence if streaming content on YouTube. Unless you watch YouTube streams of professional TV content at the same time as it is shown on TV using an aerial (what used to be called "simulcast")?
There is bbc content on YouTube so it’s that which you would not able to watch..

March 2015 - http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=865148
riversider2014 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 20, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

If you only stream Amazon Prime and YouTube videos then you don't need a TV licence.

You don't need a TV licence to stream content. You need a TV licence to watch or record TV shows as they are broadcast or to use BBC iPlayer.

You don't need a TV licence if streaming content on YouTube. Unless you watch YouTube streams of professional TV content at the same time as it is shown on TV using an aerial (what used to be called "simulcast")?
Ah got ya. I know I don't but can't say for sure if others in the house do.
We'll end up keeping it anyway as when my Mum comes to stay I don't want to tell her she can't watch The Chase or Escape to the Country

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 20, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Mo&Chris
VIP Dibber

I would tell my mum she can't watch XYZ, usually cookery shows that I can't stand, mostly because when we were young she'd tell us "you're here to visit, not watch TV!" so, right back atcha!

Oh, that's another BBC thing - who uses recipes from BBC Food?

/Mo
Mo&Chris is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 20, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
sunseeker
Imagineer

The licence fee isn't what bothers me, I bought a new tv from currys about 10 years ago and had it delivered to my place of work. I am now threatened with fines and prison if I don't buy a tv licence for my workshop. Doesn't matter how many times I tell them I don't have a tv here they still continue.

Dave
sunseeker is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 20, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
If you don't use it then don't buy a license. pretty simple really.

Or are you trying to have it both ways in using it but not paying for it and forcing it to try to survive on advertising?

Those channels purely trying to survive on advertising alone do not produce anywhere near the amount of content the BBC does.

Alternative is subscription model, which is essentially a monthly version of the license fee.
So then I have to deal with their enforcement people coming round banging on my door asking to inspect my house or be taken to court for not having one. I'll soon be at home by myself with a young baby, should I have to deal with that?
Essentially I pay my licence as protection money against the BBC cartel 🙄
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 20, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
So then I have to deal with their enforcement people coming round banging on my door asking to inspect my house or be taken to court for not having one. I'll soon be at home by myself with a young baby, should I have to deal with that?
Essentially I pay my licence as protection money against the BBC cartel 🙄
tvlicensing/about/...cence-fee-AB20

Enquiry officers do not have any legal powers to enter your home without a search warrant granted by a magistrate (or sheriff in Scotland). They (like other members of the public) rely on an implied right in common law to call at a property as far as the door, while going about their lawful business and making their presence known. Enquiry officers must explain to the occupier of the premises why they are visiting, be polite, courteous and fair, and abide by rules of conduct.

You have no obligation to grant entry to an enquiry officer if you don’t wish to do so. If refused entry by the occupier, the enquiry officer will leave the property. If enquiry officers are refused access, then TV Licensing reserve the right to use other methods of detection.
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 20, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Originally Posted by wanye View Post

Enquiry officers do not have any legal powers to enter your home without a search warrant granted by a magistrate (or sheriff in Scotland). They (like other members of the public) rely on an implied right in common law to call at a property as far as the door, while going about their lawful business and making their presence known. Enquiry officers must explain to the occupier of the premises why they are visiting, be polite, courteous and fair, and abide by rules of conduct.

You have no obligation to grant entry to an enquiry officer if you don’t wish to do so. If refused entry by the occupier, the enquiry officer will leave the property. If enquiry officers are refused access, then TV Licensing reserve the right to use other methods of detection.
I know I don't have to let them in. I don't want to have to deal with them coming round knocking on my door. And friends who have had them round said they are anything but polite! Maybe I'm overly anxious about this kind of thing as I once had bailiffs knocking on my door all hours of the day and night because I was the victim of ID fraud- it's really quite scary dreading hearing the door go.

And if they decide I do watch the BBC because I own a TV and my house has an aerial on it (assume this is their other methods of detection)- how am I supposed to prove otherwise in court?!

Edited at 02:49 PM.
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 20, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by wanye View Post

Well from my experience (quite a few years ago) it’s a stretch to call them enquiry officers. I had two men turn up at my door accusing me of not paying for my license. They were very intimidating - think of two very large pub bouncers in black suits. I told them I had paid and they demanded to see it. I made them wait at the door outside and because I hadn’t a clue were it was they had to stand for ages until I eventually found the license, showed it to them whereupon they grunted and walked away without a word of thanks or an apology.

There behaviour was appalling - I believe the “officers” do not work for the BBC and it’s all outsourced. They behaved no better than thugs.

Edited at 02:50 PM.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 20, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post
TeeKayDawn
slightly serious Dibber

Yes, we know that. And I agree that the BBC moving to a subscription service would be fair and a good idea (IMO).

However, that wasn't what novocastrian was saying. All they said that they find it difficult that people claim not to watch or listen to one single minute of BBC content at all. They didn't say hours and hours. They didn't mention soaps. They didn't say whether people were happy about watching it.

Someone said that they took issue with novocastrian saying they were surprised* some people don't watch any BBC at all but then went on to list a couple of BBC TV shows they had watched recently (thus proving novocastrian's point).

(*Note that they said they were surprised, not that they thought it was wrong. They weren't criticising people's decision not to watch the BBC, just that they expected everyone would have watched at least a little bit of BBC content in the last year or so).
That someone was me and I listed 3 programmes, two of which (technically one show as it was one programme that was on twice over Christmas) I haven't watched yet and the third was watched by my partner (not me), who didn't realise he could watch it on another channel! So if my family have only watched 3 things since Christmas, I can believe that there are others that haven't watched a thing, so I don't think it proved novocastrians point at all, in fact I took issue as they come across quite condescending at others actually stating they can live without the BBC, to quote " you mean you've never watched peaky blinders, match of the day etc", well no, because it's not my cup of tea, and possibly not the cup of tea of others either.

Using my own situation, I think £157, for three programmes is pretty substantial, but the issue here is should the license fee be going up and my opinion is that it should be abolished rather than charging more, as others have said it can get money from other methods just like all the other channels.
TeeKayDawn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 20, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie View Post
Well from my experience (quite a few years ago) it’s a stretch to call them enquiry officers. I had two men turn up at my door accusing me of not paying for my license. They were very intimidating - think of two very large pub bouncers in black suits. I told them I had paid and they demanded to see it. I made them wait at the door outside and because I hadn’t a clue were it was they had to stand for ages until I eventually found the license, showed it to them whereupon they grunted and walked away without a word of thanks or an apology.

There behaviour was appalling - I believe the “officers” do not work for the BBC and it’s all outsourced. They behaved no better than thugs.
I think you'd be well within your rights to have told them to get lost and shut the door in their faces.

I wouldn't have a clue where mine is!