Old 26 May 20, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Scruffette
Very Serious Dibber

O Can-aska - Day 15 - Elk Falls & Whistler

O Can-aska - Day 15

Index

Friday 13th September 2019 - Elk Falls Provincial Park, Move to Whistler

We both slept really well – our air bnb bed was so comfy!

After yesterday’s early start, we had a more leisurely morning. Breakfast was leftover pizza from last night – we did heat it up to make it slightly classier! Who knew butter chicken pizza would work as well for breakfast as it would for dinner? Nothing like copious amounts of garlic in the morning! Over breakfast, we wrote a comment in the guestbook, as it had been a lovely stay (and really well priced!).

Our accommodation was just a short drive from Elk Falls Provincial Park (complete with suspension bridge and waterfall), our first stop this morning.

We were here from around 10am-12pm. Again, parking was free. It was grey and a bit drizzly this morning, but not as heavy as yesterday (yet), so it didn’t impact our exploring.

We spent a lovely couple of hours here. Fortunately, there weren’t too many people on the suspension bridge when we arrived. I’m not sure I would’ve fancied it if it was swinging lots.

An impressive waterfall –

We did a few of the trails, offering different views of the waterfall and the bridge. Look how high up it looks –

I even braved some of the rocky, hazardous areas.

Before leaving Campbell River, we stopped to fill up the car again. Filing up to full cost $33.98 – pretty good considering the amount of driving we’d been doing.

On the road, keeping our eyes open for elk (although we didn’t see any).

Our soundtrack for the journey (a winning combination of the Waitress musical soundtrack and Frozen).

Our ferry back to the mainland was from Nanaimo Departure Bay, and we stopped for lunch near the ferry terminal.

Today’s lunch spot was Diary Queen for good old fast food burgers.

To eat, we had two 1/3 pounder double cheeseburgers (2 for $7), onion rings ($4.29) and pretzel sticks ($3.49). Trying to channel Le Cellier with this one!

Burger close up – I’m always pro gherkin.

To drink, we shared a large kiwi and strawberry misty slush ($4.09).

We had a short wait for food, but I find this reassuring that the food hasn’t been sitting there for ages.

We couldn’t resist getting one of their ‘blizzard’ ice cream treats. I jumped a bit when the ice cream was turned upside down – then realised they do this with all of them once made (presumably to show how solid it is, but reminded me a bit of making meringue).

We picked the cookie dough flavour to go, settling for a medium that was still pretty large ($6.71 inc tax). There was a good amount of cookie dough pieces in this and we managed one in every bite, unlike usually in cookie dough ice cream where you’re fighting over the good bits!

It was only a short drive to the ferry terminal from here, and we checked in nice and early for our 3.30pm ferry.

Ollie was pleased that I didn’t fall asleep on his shoulder for the entire ferry journey this time. Instead, we watched the end of a Bake Off we had started and part of an episode of Suits.

We were off the ferry around 5.10pm, and started on the rainy drive to Whistler.

Another tune, about one of my great loves –

Our hotel for the next two nights was the Aava hotel, chosen for its winning combination of location and price. At check in we had to pay for parking in their underground car park, which we thought might be the case. We did get one night free if we opted out of housekeeping. As we were only staying two nights, I’m sure we could cope with reusing our towels in order to save $20.

The person checking us in was helpful and provided some dinner recommendations (we ended up going to both of them over the next two nights). He also said we had a mountain view from our room, although we didn’t end up verifying this until the last morning, due to the cloud cover.

We were in the room just after 7pm. This was probably the most ‘typical’ hotel room we stayed in on this trip – it really did feel like we tried a whole range of accommodation.

(a coffee maker is always lost on us).

Nothing says ‘clean’ like rum flavoured body wash….

Armed with the umbrella, we headed out into Whistler Village, which fortunately was a very short walk. We browsed in a few gift shops and checked out some menus, before deciding on Earl’s for dinner. Earl’s is a Canadian chain and seemed pretty busy inside, but they were able to seat us straight away at around 8.30pm on a Friday night.

To drink, I had a glass of prosecco ($7) and Ollie chose a broken ladder rosé cider ($7.50). Ollie didn’t realise until it came that this was the same cider that we still had 2 cans of left in the room! I thought the drinks prices were reasonable here.

Having been envious of my prawn dish in Telegraph Cove, Ollie chose coconut prawns as a starter $14.25 (these don’t seem to be on the menu anymore). I tried one and they were nice, but the coating wasn’t as crisp as my prawns two nights ago.

I wasn’t sure what to pick for a starter, but I knew if Ollie was having a starter I didn’t want to be left out! I went for Leroy's Crispy Ribs -Earls famous dry ribs, savoury and seasoned with coarse salt and black pepper - $13.25.

This was a big portion, but fortunately Ollie helped me out. They were nice, although I generally prefer a saucier rib.

For my main, I chose the Cajun Chicken - Blackened full breast of chicken, garlic butter, warm potato salad, smoky bacon, coleslaw - $25.25.

I’m a spice wimp, but this was flavourful rather than spicy. I really liked the warm potato salad with it.

Ollie went for the Cajun Oven Roasted Salmon - Blackened salmon with confit garlic butter, jasmine rice and seasonal vegetables - $25.50.

Actually, they brought him out a non-cajun salmon first that came with different accompaniments, so this was sent back and a new dish was brought out. This meant I was eating part of my meal alone. He enjoyed this, when he did get the correct meal.

We weren’t fancying dessert here, and a quick google suggested there was a nearby ice cream shop closing very soon (10pm). We settled the bill very quickly and rushed over to Cows, making it a couple of minutes before closing.

Here, we were greeted with a range of amazing sounding ice cream flavours. As they were closing, we had to choose really quickly. The pressure!

We settled on two scoops in a tub to share ($6.25 inc tax). Most of the ice cream flavours had cow-related names, that I thoroughly enjoyed. Our picks were Gooey Mooey – burnt sugar ice cream, English toffee marble, caramel cups and chocolate flakes – and Messie Bessie – chocolate ice cream, moo crunch, oreo cookie and English toffee.

Despite eating the ice cream whilst sheltering from the rain under the cover outside a closed gift shop, this was really good ice cream with plenty of gooey caramel/toffee. We made a note to come back here!

Fortunately, the walk back from here was less than 10 minutes and we did our best puddle avoidance (trickier in the dark) on the way back to the hotel.

Day 16 - Whistler

Edited at 08:29 PM.
Scruffette is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 20, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Another fab day! Particularly interested in Whistler as that's now on my Plan B intinerary in case we do get to go to Canada in September but have to stay entirely in Canada and not cross into USA. Cow ice creams are definitely on the list!

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 20, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
magickate
Imagineer

The park looks beautiful!

Thanks, another great day to read. We have a Canada trip in the very early planning stages for 2022 so it's all helpful
magickate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 20, 12:45 AM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
When you return from a holiday in CAnada, unlike any other holidays , the photographs seem to bring about such an amazing reminiscence - every sound , small and feeling just adds to the 2d image and brings it alive.

Your photos above just encapsulate that Canadian feel and the absolute beauty of the place.

To return to Whistler seems such a huge step back into reality but good to see the food and drink helped the end of the day

Glad you made it to the Ice Creams just before closing

Another great day

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

All of our previous Trip reports and escapades can be read here.
walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 20, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Scruffette
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by anji View Post
Another fab day! Particularly interested in Whistler as that's now on my Plan B intinerary in case we do get to go to Canada in September but have to stay entirely in Canada and not cross into USA. Cow ice creams are definitely on the list!
More Whistler coming soon. That won't be the last of Cows ice cream! We're also planning a back up trip just in case - we were supposed to be driving from Toronto through to Ohio, but who knows what will happen. Fingers crossed for you! Thanks for reading

Originally Posted by magickate View Post
The park looks beautiful!

Thanks, another great day to read. We have a Canada trip in the very early planning stages for 2022 so it's all helpful
We really fell in love with Canada on our trip - would definitely recommend. Thanks for reading
Scruffette is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 20, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Scruffette
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by walt4it View Post
When you return from a holiday in CAnada, unlike any other holidays , the photographs seem to bring about such an amazing reminiscence - every sound , small and feeling just adds to the 2d image and brings it alive.

Your photos above just encapsulate that Canadian feel and the absolute beauty of the place.

To return to Whistler seems such a huge step back into reality but good to see the food and drink helped the end of the day

Glad you made it to the Ice Creams just before closing

Another great day
I love looking through photos from our trip, particularly at the moment, as a bit of escapism. Thanks for reading