Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Jan 21, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We are trying to get to Germany, dh always wanted to go and we tried last year, then March this year but now changed it to the Christmas markets. I want to go to NYC as I went as a child but can’t remember much, might do another Florida trip, 2 park days at most and head the coast. I would love to do a trip to lake Garda, then Barbados again too before we kick the bucket!
Big world out there apart from Disney
Old 17 Jan 21, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by levtweeney View Post
Would love love love to do California road trip. See the Sequoia National Park, go to Disney California and so many places I’ve only seen on TV. Possibly get a round in at Pebble Beach golf club. Oh to dream... promised family we would take everyone on last blast Disney holiday so we can see grandsons first ever trip first.

Why is every Disney Trip our last one but never is?
We always regarded California as a distant, unachievable dream. When we got there in 2018, it was everything we imagined and more.. even with the most famous bit of the PCH closed.

For us, it beats Orlando (but not necessarily greater Florida, panhandle and Keys) hands down. The flights in School Hols are far cheaper also.

Go with those dreams!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 21, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
salmim
Imagineer

salmim's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We are lucky to have other trips to other places to look forward to.
But the day I cant get to OKW or stroll the Boardwalk and around the World, stand on Main St with the little ones, laugh on Tower of Terror tee off at Magnolia and get the boat to Downtown Disney?

Put me in my box! 😥
salmim is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 21, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
We always regarded California as a distant, unachievable dream. When we got there in 2018, it was everything we imagined and more.. even with the most famous bit of the PCH closed.

For us, it beats Orlando (but not necessarily greater Florida, panhandle and Keys) hands down. The flights in School Hols are far cheaper also.

Go with those dreams!
Can I ask, cost wise is it comparable to a two weeker with parks in Florida. Direct flights from Madrid to LAX are actually cheaper than Madrid to MCO via... I might have to price it out as an option... we have done DL, Seaworld and US in Los Angeles plus knottsberry farm. Lots of food for thought. Thanks WDW for taking more for less and broadening my horizons
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 21, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
Can I ask, cost wise is it comparable to a two weeker with parks in Florida. Direct flights from Madrid to LAX are actually cheaper than Madrid to MCO via... I might have to price it out as an option... we have done DL, Seaworld and US in Los Angeles plus knottsberry farm. Lots of food for thought. Thanks WDW for taking more for less and broadening my horizons
Accommodation is at least three times as expensive in California park tickets you have to pay American prices.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 21, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Sew109 View Post
Accommodation is at least three times as expensive in California park tickets you have to pay American prices.
Accommodation..Not necessarily anywhere near that. It depends what you are pricing against. Whilst you will struggle to find £70 a night like you would for a family on IDrive at, say a Ramada, there are good deals to be had. Prices also seem to YO-YO and I find myself cancelling and rebooking on several occasions. At worst, I would say double in some, but not all areas. San Francisco is clearly pricey as can be San Diego.. but neither are IDrive or lbv either with their surplus of Hotels. Would you expect a cheap Hotel in the centre of Bath, York or Chester during School Summer Hols?

Parks? I would call them comparable, although we haven’t gone there for parks, they form a small part of the whole experience. We are not into Disney and don’t go there (or anywhere else) for the Mouse. We want to see SFO, Alcatraz, cycle the Golden Gate to Sausolito, Monterey, Whale watching, PCH, Pfeiffer park, Big Sur, Madonna Inn, Pismo, Solvang, Laurel Canyon RMS Queen Mary, USS Midway, Mexican border etc etc.
Further, our next one is also going further inland, Tucson, Davis Monthan, Tombstone, Winslow, Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, Las Vegas.
We did visit Disney in 2018 and were underwhelmed, 6 Flags (great), Seaworld.
This year it is just Warner Bros Studio Tour and Univeral for a day.

For me, California as a whole, seems to work out considerably cheaper for a family of four in August, than Orlando.

If somebody needs some pricing for this August, then I can forward it.

Edited at 06:45 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 21, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
babbymint
Imagineer

Accommodation..Not necessarily anywhere near that. It depends what you are pricing against. Whilst you will struggle to find £70 a night like you would for a family on IDrive at, say a Ramada, there are good deals to be had. Prices also seem to YO-YO and I find myself cancelling and rebooking on several occasions. At worst, I would say double in some, but not all areas. San Francisco is clearly pricey as can be San Diego.. but neither are IDrive or lbv either with their surplus of Hotels. Would you expect a cheap Hotel in the centre of Bath, York or Chester during School Summer Hols?

Parks? I would call them comparable, although we haven’t gone there for parks, they form a small part of the whole experience. We are not into Disney and don’t go there (or anywhere else) for the Mouse. We want to see SFO, Alcatraz, cycle the Golden Gate to Sausolito, Monterey, Whale watching, PCH, Pfeiffer park, Big Sur, Madonna Inn, Pismo, Solvang, Laurel Canyon RMS Queen Mary, USS Midway, Mexican border etc etc.
Further, our next one is also going further inland, Tucson, Davis Monthan, Tombstone, Winslow, Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, Las Vegas.
We did visit Disney in 2018 and were underwhelmed, 6 Flags (great), Seaworld.
This year it is just Warner Bros Studio Tour and Univeral for a day.

For me, California as a whole, seems to work out considerably cheaper for a family of four in August, than Orlando.

If somebody needs some pricing for this August, then I can forward it.
Considering west coast for 2022, have a friend in San Fran who will put us up for a few days but any other info you have would be great!
babbymint is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 21, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Go with those dreams!
I was told (by an ex!) “there’s no point looking at Florida, we will never be able to afford to go, you’re wasting your time”. So I ditched him, I’ve done 4 trips since - 2 of which I paid solely for two people (took my sister) the other two had plenty of extras, including a Disney cruise!

Follow your dreams and two fingers to anyone who says it isn’t possible! Even after doing that I always thought “I’d love to go to XYZ but I’ll never be able to go”. Fast forward and I ended up getting a job with a Tour Op and my eyes were opened at just how much I CAN do.

So ≈≈≈≈≈≈ off covid, I’ve got a world to explore (and a job to get back!).

West coast is on our radar for some point. We’ve said once we’re back on our feet, we’ll stop putting things off or saying “in future I want to do XYZ” and just do them! Starting with days out when we get out of lockdown!
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 21, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsmickey
Very Serious Dibber

We deliberately limit florida (as much as I don’t want to!) to avoid park fatigue. We’re hoping in the next few years to do an Alaska cruise with DCL, and hopefully do Japan to get to both Disney and the new Nintendo park which looks astonishing.

There’s tons of other great experiences there; I actually find the closest Disney experience in the U.K. is Center Parcs. The feeling of being away from everything and there’s always something to do but on the other hand the constancy of branding and the wince whenever you get a bill!
mrsmickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 21, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by babbymint View Post
Considering west coast for 2022, have a friend in San Fran who will put us up for a few days but any other info you have would be great!
I have sent you a pm.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196