General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 31 Aug 20, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
One mad woman and her dog, NC500 Aug 2020 - day 9 Pitlochry to home and highs&lows

I wake up, and the boy has slept like a log. It really was a lovely room.

I get up and he seems in no rush to leave his bed, so I quickly shower and pack and we head down the maze together. I take him for a wee and load the car. And then we pop in through the front door for breakfast.

They kindly serve me brekkie in the bar so I can keep Max with me. I order a couple of hot items, and they bring Lorne sausage which I’m not sure about so I risk sneaking a bit to Max who thankfully seems back to normal.

We jump in the car, and get on the road. We are going home today, but stopping at Glasgow to see my little brother. I stop at a Starbucks just outside Perth for a coffee (£10 loaded on my app), then arrive just before 11 to Pollok country park.
Unfortunately it’s really very rainy, but I find my brother who is 21 and just finishing up his time at uni, loan him my brolly, and put rain coats on both Max and myself.
We walk for over 2 hours, just chatting and getting lost. Most of the walk is spent trying to find the Highland Cows I drove past on the way in, and we do finally succeed.

Max absolutely loves it, and doesn’t stop running around and sniffing everything in sight.
Eventually we decide to call it a day as I’m a way away from home. I drop Alex off at the Asda, pick up a quick Maccy’s for the car £8.40 and we head home. We end up doing it in one go (about 3.5 hours) as Max was completely zonked out on the back seat.
DH phones and we chat for ages, then with about 45 mins to go, we hang up and he says he’ll see me at home.
I get in, to no DH. I unpack his gifts and finally give him a ring. Turns out there has been a terrible shock as his Dad had a heart attack whilst out shopping at the Trafford centre. Thankfully all is ok, but DH gets home a bit ashen, and we go round to his Mum’s to await seeing how his surgery goes.
I pick up an Indian takeaway on the way back from his Mum’s, he opens a beer from his gift pile, and we breathe a big sigh of relief. It’s super lovely to see him.

Highs

Kingussie and Aviemore. I really enjoyed our first few days exploring the Cairngorms. The hotel in Kingussie was a bit warm but they couldn’t have been friendlier, but the air bnb in Aviemore was perfect. We had fabulous walks and a trip on the train and the Loch Ness Boat and we loved it all. The pubs were super Max friendly too.

I really enjoyed Ullapool. The hotel was another I couldn’t have Max with me for brekkie/inside etc but the motel style was easy for unpacking etc, and we found the village very pretty, and very dog friendly.

Lochcarron was amazing. The hotel had awful reviews but it was cheap and perfect, and the only truly dog friendly hotel with no rules etc. Unfortunately it was peak dog sick time so I couldn’t truly relax, but the people could not have been lovelier and I think it was my best meal.

The scenery was incredible and we had some amazing walks. Loch Morlich, lovely beaches and the like.

I managed to keep to budget really well, including buying a lot of gifts/souvenirs. The eat out to help out was a really big help to that.

Everyone was so friendly, they helped me so much and treated Max like a celeb. Amazing hospitality.

Most importantly- my boy. He was just an absolute angel. He hadn’t stayed in a hotel before and I took him to 7 different locations, with different noises etc and he was very very good. He came everywhere with me and even when he clearly felt very ill, he tried his best to lie down and let me grab a quick meal etc before I could take him back to the room or outside etc. Obviously holidaying with dogs is a very different experience; but something I would love to do again.

Mediums

Wick was nice. We had a good time, we found a Wetherspoons and I loved the hotel, they were so friendly and I had the best bed. A lot of the attractions were closed though so I struggled a touch with what to do, but a good stop none the less.

The hotel in Tongue was also nice. They weren’t super dog friendly. There was a £15 dog charge for the room, making it quite expensive, and I couldn’t have him with me for breakfast etc. The room was also boiling hot, and very midgey so I couldn’t really open the window etc. Still a cracking little stop though.

Pitlochry was very very pretty and it was a lovely hotel. I wish I had stayed here at the beginning, but because of sick dog, I rushed down a quick meal and just watched tv in the room, which was no problem because I was exhausted. Would love to come back here with DH as it was very very pretty.

It was lovely to have some me time, but it was a little hard without DH. Max got very experienced at going to the toilet with me, but it was hard getting a drink, going for a wee, getting something from the shop. Would have just been a lot easier with another person. At the same time I was in bed for 8.30 most nights with a glass of wine and either trash tv or my book, which was just super relaxing.

The views were stunning, but it was also a lot of driving on my own. I got much more experienced with it, but I would have loved being able to share it with DH.

Lows

Max getting sick. I think it really was just swallowing a load of seawater, but it did take him a couple of days to get back to normal. I found it quite stressful couldn’t enjoy dinner etc hoping he wasn’t going to be sick in the restaurant.

Thought this photo sums up how we both felt 😂

The midges - I got eaten alive and I’m still covered in bites.

Edited at 09:33 PM.
mitch84 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 20, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
RachelM
VIP Dibber

RachelM's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Mobile

So glad that your Father in law is doing ok.

Ive really enjoyed reading your report. Thanks again x
Old 31 Aug 20, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Originally Posted by RachelM View Post
So glad that your Father in law is doing ok.

Ive really enjoyed reading your report. Thanks again x
No Thankyou for reading, I really enjoy writing them as it helps occupy the evenings
Old 2 Sep 20, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Fab report, hope your fil is ok. Max is a superstar. We've had a few 'interesting' experiences with dogs on holiday- usually involving too much swimming and sea water.
Old 2 Sep 20, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I too have enjoyed your report. Thank you for writing. Not really a holiday I would have chosen for me but dh has been desperate to go on a tour of Scotland for years. Your report has definitely inspired me to maybe give it a try.

So glad your father in law is recovering well and Max is better too x
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 20, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Great trip report. Glad to hear your father-in-law is okay. We are taking a day trip to Perth on Friday but only going as far as Aberfeldy.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 20, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Just to say a big thank you Mitch, our US Holiday has been cancelled today and thanks to you we are going to Scotland ! and I have pinched a load of your travel notes
We are going in October... not bothered about the weather

My friend is Scottish and she said she has hardly ever heard anyone say they are going to the NC 500 as most go to the cities ie: Edinburgh and Glasgow

Let the plans begin
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 20, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie View Post
Great trip report. Glad to hear your father-in-law is okay. We are taking a day trip to Perth on Friday but only going as far as Aberfeldy.
I went on holiday to Aberfeldy in 2008 ish and really liked it
Old 2 Sep 20, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Originally Posted by snowbelle View Post
Just to say a big thank you Mitch, our US Holiday has been cancelled today and thanks to you we are going to Scotland ! and I have pinched a load of your travel notes
We are going in October... not bothered about the weather

My friend is Scottish and she said she has hardly ever heard anyone say they are going to the NC 500 as most go to the cities ie: Edinburgh and Glasgow

Let the plans begin
Ooh fab, feel free to PM if you want any help x
Old 2 Sep 20, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
I too have enjoyed your report. Thank you for writing. Not really a holiday I would have chosen for me but dh has been desperate to go on a tour of Scotland for years. Your report has definitely inspired me to maybe give it a try.

So glad your father in law is recovering well and Max is better too x
I’m usually quite flexible with holidays; and go away often in this country with DH for long weekends, as that’s usually as long as he can get away for.
Must say on my own I normally just book a weeks cruise, read a lot of books, drink a lot of cocktails and go off exploring the ports, but obviously this wasn’t to be this year.
It’s not always the cheap option going away in the UK. But there are some lovely places