Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Planning Disneyland Paris Holiday Planning Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 9 Oct 15, 08:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by caspdex View Post
What I am saying is that as you don't really know when you will arrive at the TGV station and if you miss the train you have booked you could wait up to two hours for the next one, and in some cases pay again for the trip. Posters who praise the TGV never mention that , or indeed the time it takes to get to the station and the trip to your hotel when you get to Marne La Vallee. So saying the TGV only takes 9 mins is well short of the true journey time from getting into Arrivals and reaching whichever hotel you are staying at.
So what you are saying is that the trip from CDG to DLP take more than 9 mins after landing? I think we can all agree on that. Anyone who has ever flown knows the walk from the gate to the terminal. What I find strange is the lack in belief of my timings I gave for my trip?

You could miss your eurostar train. Imagine the time and cost lost doing that? You could have a breakdown on the way to the Eurostar terminal...that will put a break on the timings of your trip. Why even bring up missed trains and issues costs?

The TGV has a train schedule like any other service. it leaves roughly hourly. Your flight has an arrival time. My WHOLE Journey combined this July was 2.5 hours. That includes the 45 mins at Bournemouth airport departures.

I understand its probably quicker for you. I understand its probably easier for you. But the fact of it is, it would be IMPOSSIBLE to do it quicker (and cheaper) from Dorset than flying.

If I lived in London or the south east then I wouldn't dream of anything other than the Eurostar...even if it was slightly more expensive.

PS... its still around 10 mins from CDG to DL
Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15
Vancouver and Pacific NW 16
Canadian and US Road Trip 18
The short hop over the pond trip report
The Long Trip Down Under trip report

Cannavar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 15, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
stumpe
Serious Dibber

We are flying next march on our 5 trip having done Eurostar and Eurotunnel a few times.

Costs of the flights was around the same price as getting the tunnel / petrol / toll road / European car cover / extra insurance costs, driving is really easy, but from door to door for me its nearly 5 1/2 hours driving.

We don't tend to buy much from DLP now as we have been a few times so luggage weight is not an issue, plus the boys get to take trunki's as hand luggage for free

My boys have never been on a plane so this will be a adventure for them to go to the airport, managed to get a premier inn for the night before with 8 days free parking included for £65 so overall its extending our time on holiday by an extra day

I am going to book a private taxi to take us from the airport to DLP and back and its coming out as €100 for both ways.

Overall its going to cost around £150 more to fly, so really not a lot more.

Lee

Lee
stumpe is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 15, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
caspdex
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Cannavar View Post
So what you are saying is that the trip from CDG to DLP take more than 9 mins after landing? I think we can all agree on that. Anyone who has ever flown knows the walk from the gate to the terminal. What I find strange is the lack in belief of my timings I gave for my trip?

You could miss your eurostar train. Imagine the time and cost lost doing that? You could have a breakdown on the way to the Eurostar terminal...that will put a break on the timings of your trip. Why even bring up missed trains and issues costs?

The TGV has a train schedule like any other service. it leaves roughly hourly. Your flight has an arrival time. My WHOLE Journey combined this July was 2.5 hours. That includes the 45 mins at Bournemouth airport departures.

I understand its probably quicker for you. I understand its probably easier for you. But the fact of it is, it would be IMPOSSIBLE to do it quicker (and cheaper) from Dorset than flying.

If I lived in London or the south east then I wouldn't dream of anything other than the Eurostar...even if it was slightly more expensive.

PS... its still around 10 mins from CDG to DL
I do actually fly and I agree from one point in CDG to one specific point in DLP is approx 10 mins. The rub being you have to get to the station , and then get to your hotel. If you are hoping to catch the 10.13 TGV and miss it, the next one is about 11.50. You have implied that after arriving at the airport you can arrive in DLP 10 mins later. For new travellers going there , I believe that they should be told the whole story about using the train.
caspdex is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 15, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
I do actually fly and I agree from one point in CDG to one specific point in DLP is approx 10 mins. The rub being you have to get to the station , and then get to your hotel. If you are hoping to catch the 10.13 TGV and miss it, the next one is about 11.50. You have implied that after arriving at the airport you can arrive in DLP 10 mins later. For new travellers going there , I believe that they should be told the whole story about using the train.

If someone asks how long the flight is to Orlando, most people would reply around 8 hours. They don't normally reply 13 hours and quantify all the parts of the trip
Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15

Cannavar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 15, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
caspdex
Apprentice Imagineer

The question on these forums is usually what is the quickest transfer from the airport to their hotel. Clearly the TGV is one of the slowest.
caspdex is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 15, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Well, to be honest the VEA is not much quicker, probably costs the same, and is much more unpleasant.

The only time we flew, we got lost trying to find the VEA stop (which wasn't signposted in any way) and when we did find it, we stood there for an hour in the baking August heat, but no coach turned up. We later found out there was a transport strike and the roads were snarled up.

We then went to the TGV station to buy a ticket, but the machines wouldn't take our debit card. There were only two desks open, both with queues a mile long. We got in one of the queues, and when we got to the desk, we were told it was the wrong one.

We gave up in disgust, went back outside and flagged down a taxi. Cue an hour's drive and a 70 Euro fare!

On the way back we got the VEA coach, but even though there was no transport strike that day, it was still over half an hour late arriving at Sequoia Lodge to pick us up. The journey was very unpleasant and we only just got there in time to check in.

I've never tried to fly again, but if I did, I would be tempted to book a transfer, even though there are only two of us and no kids!
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 15, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
The question on these forums is usually what is the quickest transfer from the airport to their hotel. Clearly the TGV is one of the slowest.
I think this is misleading. It was very quick for me? On the way home you walk out of a park, onto the train and you are in the airport in 10 mins...I honestly do not believe any other method could possibly be quicker, transfer or cab. Even a helicopter would struggle to get you to the terminal you need in that time.
Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15

Old 9 Oct 15, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Cannavar View Post
I think this is misleading. It was very quick for me? On the way home you walk out of a park, onto the train and you are in the airport in 10 mins...I honestly do not believe any other method could possibly be quicker, transfer or cab. Even a helicopter would struggle to get you to the terminal you need in that time.
on the way back to CDG from DLP on your last day, as long as the TGV times suit your flight departure time, you're right, the TGV can be by far the quickest method.

I take a shuttle transfer booked in advance from CDG to DLP, and do consider the TGV (as long as its not peak travel times and prices) for the journey back from DLP to CDG.
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 15, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Mel5678
slightly serious Dibber

Sorry to jump on this thread. Is it easy to transfer from Lille to the Marne la Vallée-Chessy (Disneyland Paris) station.
Mel5678 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 15, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mel5678 View Post
Sorry to jump on this thread. Is it easy to transfer from Lille to the Marne la Vallée-Chessy (Disneyland Paris) station.
by eurostar/TGV? yes, very easy, you get off the Eurostar at Lille International, and you get on a TGV at the same station (often the same platform ). It takes around one hour on the TGV from Lille International to DLP station.
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread