Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 26 May 19, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
phi2012
Excited about Disney

Mobile Ba flight connection query

Hope you guys might be able to help me.
We've booked our flights with Ba for our holiday in August. We are flying Manchester to Heathrow, Gatwick to Orlando. The times were always tight with a connection time of 3 hours15 mins in between the two London airports, but we were advised this would still be OK to make our second flight.
The flight has only changed to a connection time of 3 hours.05, but we were already concerned as this is our first time flying with my husband needing disabled assistance. Is 3.05 enough time with also having the disabled assistance, as my understanding is that we will need to wait till last to get off the plane?
I know we could always catch the second flight from Gatwick to Orlando, but last time we did that my husband was so ill due to the lateness of arriving that we decided this year to pay extra to get the early flight.
So after that long winded explanation... 🙂
Do you think we can get there in time for the first flight to Orlando?
If not do you think ba could move us to the flight from Manchester the night before? Or would this be at our expense.
I really don't want my husband stressing more than is needed to, especially as stress makes his illness worse.
Hope you guys can put my mind at ease that we can sort something.
Thanks 👍
phi2012 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 19, 11:38 AM  
Link to this Post
jane2211
Very Serious Dibber

We are doing the same i enquired about changing and it’s 150 pound per person to change, lots of people who manage to do this every year. We are getting a private taxi to Gatwick x

Edited at 11:41 AM.
jane2211 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 19, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post
thetman
Getting to know the DIBB

3 hours seems very tight, how do you plan to get from Heathrow to Gatwick ?
thetman is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 19, 01:34 PM  
Link to this Post
bernard301
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

A three hour transfer from LHR to LGW wouldn't, IMHO, be worth the risk, especially if your husband requires assistance. A 45 minute journey between the airports on the M25/M23 can very easily turn into a 3 hr journey at any time of day. If I were you I'd come down the evening before and enjoy a relaxed night in a hotel at Gatwick
bernard301 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 19, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Rotonda Bound
slightly serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 4
Originally Posted by phi2012 View Post
Hope you guys might be able to help me.
We've booked our flights with Ba for our holiday in August. We are flying Manchester to Heathrow, Gatwick to Orlando. The times were always tight with a connection time of 3 hours15 mins in between the two London airports, but we were advised this would still be OK to make our second flight.
The flight has only changed to a connection time of 3 hours.05, but we were already concerned as this is our first time flying with my husband needing disabled assistance. Is 3.05 enough time with also having the disabled assistance, as my understanding is that we will need to wait till last to get off the plane?
I know we could always catch the second flight from Gatwick to Orlando, but last time we did that my husband was so ill due to the lateness of arriving that we decided this year to pay extra to get the early flight.
So after that long winded explanation... 🙂
Do you think we can get there in time for the first flight to Orlando?
If not do you think ba could move us to the flight from Manchester the night before? Or would this be at our expense.
I really don't want my husband stressing more than is needed to, especially as stress makes his illness worse.
Hope you guys can put my mind at ease that we can sort something.
Thanks 👍
I would phone BA and explain the situation to them. You might be lucky and get a sympathetic associate who could move you to the night before without charge. They are usually very accommodating for people with disabilities. It's worth a call 😎☀️

Dragonflies Villa ... close to stunning Gulf Coast beaches.
The ideal place to relax and unwind

Rotonda Bound is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 19, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rotonda Bound View Post
I would phone BA and explain the situation to them. You might be lucky and get a sympathetic associate who could move you to the night before without charge. They are usually very accommodating for people with disabilities. It's worth a call 😎☀️
Agreed, it is definitely worth asking on this basis. The Minimum Connection Time (MCT) for LHR>LGW is 3 hours, so technically this is an ok connection, but it is tight.

Needing assistance off the aircraft does usually mean being off last, though if you have bags to collect at LHR, it may not actually delay you much. If you can’t change it, I would recommend booking a private transfer between airports with this connection.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 19, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
phi2012
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Thanks guys.
We had planned to get a taxi between the two airports, and would have been a lot less concerned had we not needed the disabled assistance now. But we'll have a mobility scooter to transport too. Just concerned like you've said if there is traffic we could miss the flight and have to go with the second one (not the end of the world, but as I said, last time it was really rough on hubby the lateness arriving at the hotel).
Keep your fingers crossed they can help me 😊
Ill try phoning ba, and see if they can help us, hopefully not at a ridiculous price 😊.
phi2012 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 19, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Why not try to look into flying to Gatwick rather than Heathrow? The extra cost is probably less than a taxi etc could be
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 19, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyCupcake
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
Why not try to look into flying to Gatwick rather than Heathrow? The extra cost is probably less than a taxi etc could be
I don't think there are any direct scheduled services to LGW from Manchester - BA don't do it.
DisneyCupcake is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 19, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post

Originally Posted by DisneyCupcake View Post
I don't think there are any direct scheduled services to LGW from Manchester - BA don't do it.
Correct. BA only operates domestic services to LGW from EDI, GLA and JER.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List