Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 6 Sep 19, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Jedi_Angie
Being a bit Goofy

Transition lenses

Anyone use transition/reactolite glasses in Florida? I am considering buying some for my adult autistic son, but his optician said some people have told him uk-bought versions may not work so well in very hot and/or bright countries where air-con is the norm. I’d appreciate any opinions from Dibbers who’ve used them in the Uk and Florida!
High Grove (2007) ... Bella Vida (2008, 2010) ... LA & Vegas (2009) ... Washington/Philly/NYC/Boston/Cape Cod (2011) ... AKL/Florida Pines (2012) ... Westridge (2013) ... AKL (2014) ... RPR/Yacht Club (2015) ... PBR (2016) ... POR (2017) ... HI DS (2018) ... AKL (2019)
Jedi_Angie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 19, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
NHH
A Guest at All-Stars

Transitions are activated by UV light - so I can’t think that air con would have a negative effect. However anti-glare coatings don’t do well with repeated exposure to temperature extremes.

Worth bearing in mind that transitions don’t work so well in the car, as the windscreen blocks UV.
NHH is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 19, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

I bought some for my last trip and they worked fine. They aren’t as dark as normal sunglasses but so much easier then constantly swapping glasses.

I found mine were ok in the car. Possibly as they were darkened from the walk to the car?

I just got relatively cheap ones from Asda as I wasn’t sure how I’d get on with them but I was very happy with them.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 19, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post
MissRed
Excited about Disney

I have a similar experience to Bev.
Not as good as normal sunglasses but 100% more convenient than swapping. Admittedly I used them sparingly as I prefer contacts in the parks, but the times I needed a contact lens break they were more that suitable.

This was in August, so doesn't get hotter or more air conned that that!
YC '08
AKL '18
MissRed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 19, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

I still have UK transition lenses but live in Florida. They do react well except in the car as mentioned. However, unless I am wearing a hat and only outside briefly I still feel the need to change to my prescription sunglasses. I think part of the problem is that the lenses on my normal glasses are just not big enough to work as sunglasses plus they are no where near as dark. I wouldn't buy them just for your trip TBH.
Old 6 Sep 19, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
disney_chick13
Very Serious Dibber

disney_chick13's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Hello!

I would recommend Transitions XtrActive, they are slightly more expensive but worth it as they go a little darker than the standard ones and they do react in a car!

Can you tell I’m an optician 😜
disney_chick13 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 19, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
floridasarah
VIP Dibber

floridasarah's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
This is great as I need to get some. I have varifocals too so will be extra expensive for me
floridasarah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 19, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by disney_chick13 View Post
Hello!
I would recommend Transitions XtrActive, they are slightly more expensive but worth it as they go a little darker than the standard ones and they do react in a car!
Can you tell I’m an optician 😜
Thats interesting for me. I have to wear sunglasses even in winter if the sun is bright & found the transition ones for me useless, nowhere near dark enough. That was about 4 years ago, so I may look into it again.Thanks for the Heads Up.
Old 6 Sep 19, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

It's a few year since I wore them but I found it took some time for them to go clear. This was annoying when going onto dark rides.

I ended up buying some clip on sunglasses that also flip up. Not a good look but especially useful when driving as I don't have to take them off/on.
Libby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 19, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Caroian
Imagineer

I find transitions most useful as a "third pair". So I have regular glasses that I wear most of the time and regular sunglasses which I use for long periods outdoors - especially for reading outdoors - ad also for driving on sunny days. Transitions, as others have mentioned, don't go as dark as regular glasses but I find them useful for things like days out where I am going inside and outside frequently so I can avoid keep changing. It also means that they are a back up for each of my other pairs should anything happen to them. Effectively I choose to have my spare pair be transitions so they can be a spare for both regular glasses and sunglasses, if that makes sense.
Caroian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List