Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 1 Feb 16, 11:26 PM  
Link to this Post
ElsasGloves
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile Will I like it?

If I've done a 3 night Southampton to Bruges taster cruise on P&O's Azura and didn't particularly like it (various reasons, mainly that I'm just not sure I like being on a boat constantly!) will I hate being stuck on the DCL for 4 nights?
I'm half tempted to book it at the end of our Disney trip next May as it does look so wonderful but I'm terrified that I'll hate it and will have wasted £3 grand...

Reckon I'll be persuaded or should I play safe and just stay on site at WDW for those last 4 days? It's so hard to know whether to gamble as my family loved the P&O cruise and I felt like I let them down by not really enjoying it
Do you think that it's a case of either loving or hating a cruise?
ElsasGloves is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Feb 16, 11:39 PM  
Link to this Post
streamlines
VIP Dibber

It probably depends on why you didn't enjoy the cruise as some of that will be the same on all cruises, but others will be vastly different between a 3 nights in the English channel and 4 nights in the Caribbean.

2005 Sept- First Trip to WDW, Dec - First Trip to DLP
2008 Jan - Goofy Challenge at WDW (Poly), Jun - Solo Trip WDW, Nov - Hong Kong Disneyland
2009 May - 1 Day at DLR, Dec - Mousemeets DLP (Newport Bay)
2010 June - The Big 40 in WDW (Beach Club) CANCELLED , Dec - WDW Oh we needed this
2011 April - Dad's Funeral Aug - D23 Expo
2012 June - The "Work" trip to WDW.
2013 May - California First Class
2014 Oct - Cruising the Caribbean
2015 Jun - Pinning for the Fjords
streamlines is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Feb 16, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
I tend to agree with Hayden ... you need to figure out exactly what you didn't like about your taster cruise and go from there.

You're never 'stuck on a boat' really when cruising .. only when it's sailing and most tend to do that while you're sleeping. Unless you frequently go walking at 3am when you're in a hotel, a cruise should be no different. Some cruises have sea days, but if you consider that to be your 'day around the pool', it's exactly the same as a hotel stay. Your 4 night DCL will have 1 day at sea, but there are plenty of things to do if you don't want to relax and sunbathe.

If you like Disney, you're already onto a winner with DCL. If you like awesome customer service .. another winner. Going to Disneys private island Castaway Cay is another bonus, as is the unlimited food (bloat! )

Figure out what you didn't like and let us know .. we can try to work with the reasons then.
Old 2 Feb 16, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
ElsasGloves
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Thanks both - I guess I felt like I was on my holiday transport for the whole time if that makes sense. A bit like when you go on a plane and then get off and your holiday starts - but with a cruise I just felt like I didn't get past the transport bit. I felt that the constant movement was quite noticeable even though we were on the hugest ship! And there was this quiet hum of the engines that I felt like I kept hearing.
I love Disney so much and I'm kind of hoping that will make me love DCL - but I'm wary of having the same feeling as when we went to Bruges and just not loving it. I guess till I try I won't know!
ElsasGloves is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Feb 16, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
streamlines
VIP Dibber

Unlike Bats I have only done 2 cruises, but I have only noticed the engines when we were docking and that was much more noticeable when we were right at the back of the fantasy deck 7. On the Magic we were midship deck 6 and didn't notice them at all.

On the transport side, it makes sense but we see it more as a hotel that moves, as we fully unpack and it looks like a hotel room and it was so much better than a touring holiday we took in California where we had to unpack or pack almost every other night as we kept changing hotels.

hope this helps and you decide the right course for you and your family.

2005 Sept- First Trip to WDW, Dec - First Trip to DLP
2008 Jan - Goofy Challenge at WDW (Poly), Jun - Solo Trip WDW, Nov - Hong Kong Disneyland
2009 May - 1 Day at DLR, Dec - Mousemeets DLP (Newport Bay)
2010 June - The Big 40 in WDW (Beach Club) CANCELLED , Dec - WDW Oh we needed this
2011 April - Dad's Funeral Aug - D23 Expo
2012 June - The "Work" trip to WDW.
2013 May - California First Class
2014 Oct - Cruising the Caribbean
2015 Jun - Pinning for the Fjords
streamlines is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Feb 16, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
dismadbrit
Imagineer

dismadbrit's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 13
I'm biased as I love cruises, it took me a long time to be persuaded to try one as I'm petrified of water and I've seen Titanic, if you get my drift, but after the first I became hooked.
I'm not sure on your itinerary but won't you be sailing during the night with a fresh port each day?
I've never been on the DCL but I know someone who has and she described it as Disney at sea so I'm sure you'll still get your fix, if your family loved the P&O one I'd give it a go.
Old 3 Feb 16, 08:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Elise79
Imagineer

If you didn't like being stuck on the ship do the 3 night rather than 4 night.

With the 3 night you can get off the ship both days you are on.

With the 4 night you will have a sea day with no getting off.

For us we love being on the ship - I would happily not get off once on (except may CC as that was wonderful) and that is exactly what we will do on our 4 night in October.

I would suggest the 3 night, unpack like you would at a hotel, and then think of it as your hotel that moves. See how you get on and if you don't enjoy it then you know.
Elise79 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 16, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
ems35
Apprentice Imagineer

Hi

we did our 1st cruise last yr and we were on the dream 3 night cruise, i was really apprehensive but honestly loved it only felt the ship moving ever so slightly never really occured to me that we couldnt get off there was just so much going on all day, the staff were amazing and couldnt do enough for you

em
Old 3 Feb 16, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread