Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 10 Nov 16, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
clochette
Apprentice Imagineer

Just the Two of Us at DLP 18-22 October Day 4 - Paris

Day 4 Friday 21st October – Paris and Disneyland Park

We could have had a lie in today as we were going to Paris on a coach that didn’t leave until 9.45, but I hadn’t thought about that when I booked our breakfast slots so 7am breakfast it was. We did get a little bit of a lie in because we could go back to the room to get ready after breakfast rather than going straight out, but I could have done with another half an hour or so. In the event, it was much busier at breakfast this morning than it had been on previous days, so maybe it’s just as well we were in there early. I knew when we booked that French schools were off on the Friday which is why I decided to go to Paris today.

We had our usual meagre breakfast (you won’t catch me paying 15 euros or whatever it is they want for it) and went back to the room for the all-important make up routine (not mine!). I had booked us on an excursion to Paris which left from Hotel New York at 9.45 but we had to be there at 9.15. It included a coach tour of Paris, a trip up the Eiffel Tower, a cruise on the River Seine and a very brief visit (just a photo opportunity really) to the Louvre and it cost £77 each. I know that I could have done it much cheaper myself but that would have involved going on the Metro and I have an absolute horror of it. I know it’s irrational and I am fine on the London Underground but I really, really hate the Paris Metro. (It may have something to do with a school trip when one of our students almost got left behind on the platform when we had all got on the train, but that’s another story.)
We were ready by 8.30, or rather Elinor was; I had been ready since before 7am, so we took the opportunity to take lots of photos of the hotel and the walk by the river.

We had done a quick recce of the Hotel New York the night before so we knew where to go, but there was a sign giving directions anyway. We got to the bus stop at 9.05 to find the bus already there and quite a lot of people already waiting. Just before 9.15 the guides turned up and let us all on the bus. It turns out that there were two slightly different tours going on the same bus so we got a yellow or orange sticker to wear depending on which tour we were going on. I have to say, it was very well organized and left exactly on time. There were several different nationalities on board; English, French, Spanish, German, Dutch to name but a few and the two guides managed all of the languages between them – most impressive.

It took us about 35 minutes to get to Paris and then we had a coach tour around. It was very informative and I learned quite a lot (most of which I can’t remember now of course). For example, did you know that when the Bastille was stormed, it only contained 7 prisoners? The only problem with the commentary was that as the bus got stuck in traffic from time to time, music played on a loop. I won’t say it got grating but I learned the words, in French, to a “wonderful” song about the Champs Elysee and I heard the French national anthem more times than was strictly necessary. However, when it got to Edith Piaf, I thought Elinor was going to rebel. In vain did I tell her she was one of the most famous singers in French history, she just wasn’t up to Elinor’s high standards! We both enjoyed the tour though.

We got off the coach by the docks for the boat trip and that’s where the two trips split. One half went on the boat trip and then off to the Louvre and we went across the road to the Eiffel Tower. The timings are a little hazy because I didn’t take my notebook but we had to queue for a good few minutes to get through security. I knew that there was a huge list of things that you can’t take through but, by the looks of the bin beside the security officers, quite a lot of people didn’t. We were booked to go up the Eiffel Tower at 12.20 so we had about 25 minutes to wait I think so we had a wander around and took a few photos and then we went up the tower.

Attempts at arty photos!

I have been up a couple of times before but it was Elinor’s first time. She was a little apprehensive about the lifts but she was fine in the end. We went up to the second floor and took lots of photos – as you do. We took a photo for an American lady and her two grown up daughters. They wanted to go and stand right by the edge so that you could actually see some of Paris behind them but Mum was obviously afraid of heights and was having none of it. I think she had done really well to get to the second floor at all to be honest.

Proof we actually went up there!

We couldn't figure out what the pattern was that Elinor was standing on in one of the earlier photos until we viewed it from the first floor.

We had a look in the shops. We saw a few things that we liked, including some lovely prints of the Eiffel Tower. I didn’t believe Elinor when she told me they were only 2 euros as they were really pretty and cheaper than the postcards that were for sale next to them but I put my glasses on and she was absolutely right. We ummed and aahed about buying one but decoded we would have a look at the shop on the first floor to see what they had there. Elinor didn’t want to brave the lift again so we went down the stairs to the first floor; that was a workout for the legs! However, when we got to the first floor, they didn’t have the prints or anything else that took our fancy so we decided to go back up to the second floor. Well that was a mistake! I can’t believe that we are the first people who have wanted to do this but it was a real drama. We had to prove that we had tickets for the lift and then explain why we wanted to go back up and then we were sent to another lift and had to explain all over again. However, in the end, after going in the lift back down to the bottom, we made it back up to the second floor and bought our prints and some perfume. We went back down in the lift as I couldn’t face the stairs again.

We decoded to grab a quick bite to eat once we got to the bottom. I know the French aren’t really into fast food, but we queued for over 15 minutes for 2 ham and cheese baguettes and some water and there were only three people in front of us. I was going to get Elinor some chips but I think we would still be there now if I had. We had to be over by the boat dock by 2.10 so we finished our food, took a final photo or three and risked our lives to cross the road to the river. Just as we got in the queue for the river cruise, the heavens opened! It rained so hard you couldn’t see across the river. Luckily we were undercover and there was seating undercover on the boat. We managed to get a seat in the dry and we listened to the commentary until the rain stopped then we went to the top deck so we could see better. It’s a bit of a dilemma really – do you stay downstairs where you can listen to the commentary or go onto the top deck where you get a great view but you don’t know what you are looking at? We chose to remain “up top”. Paris really is a beautiful city, or the bits you see from the cruise are. I am sure there are some really ugly parts as well. The only thing that spoiled it a little bit was a man who chain smoked the whole time. He must have got through at least five cigarettes while we were on the top deck and no matter where we stood we couldn’t get away from his smoke. Every time we moved in front of him so that the smoke wasn’t blowing directly at us, he moved. I think he thought we were trying to spoil his view or something.

Just a few of the many,many photos we took on the cruise.

We got back onto the coach and went across to the Louvre for 45 minutes or so. The rain was coming down again so we didn’t spend long admiring the pyramid but went into the Carousel Shopping Centre. Elinor was in her element here as she loves to shop. However, 45 minutes wasn’t enough time for a good look round so we contented ourselves with window shopping. We did come across a great shop called Pylones, which I have since discovered have an online shop so I may be spending some money after all! I did wonder whether Elinor would enjoy the trip to Paris but she had a great time and would like to go back again.

The Louvre in the rain.

We left Paris at 5.15 and were due back at the Hotel New York at approx. 6.30, so a much longer journey back, which was to be expected at that time on a Friday evening of course. However, there was an accident and at 6.30 we were still on the motorway. This wouldn’t usually bother me but we had a dinner reservation at 7pm back at the Hotel Cheyenne. I did wonder when I booked it whether I should make it later but we wanted to go into the parks after dinner so I didn’t want to be hanging around for no reason. We got back to Hotel New York at 6.50 and we were walking into the dining room at the Cheyenne at 6.59, after a power walk along the river. I was a little worried about having dinner at the hotel, as I had read mixed reviews but we really enjoyed it. There was lots of choice and apart from the ribs which were really fatty, the food was delicious. I can’t remember what we had now but I know there was chicken, stew, pizza, sausages, salads – the usual buffet stuff. It was quite busy but no more so than the buffets in the parks.

We made our way back to the park, through the usual bag check at Disney Village. There was quite a queue to get through so we had to wait a while. I put my bag on the scanner and went through the security check. There was a little boy in front of me, who picked my bag up off the scanner and gave it to me. He was so pleased with himself that he had “got that lady’s bag for her,” bless him. I was just relieved he didn’t call me an old lady! We got into the park at 8.15 and headed straight to Phantom Manor to ride in the dark – spooky! Next we headed over to Pirates of the Caribbean where there was no queue at all. We were next to the front in the boat so we thought we might get a good photo but the people in front of us held their hands up (as they had been doing for most of the way round) so you couldn’t even see we were there. Well, I wasn’t having that so we walked round and got straight back on again! We got the front row this time and I was all set for a wonderful photo but I was pulling the funniest (read weirdest!) face. It was horrible! What a wasted opportunity.

When we came out of Pirates, they were testing BTM. It was quite weird really to hear it going round in the dark without being able to see it. We went for a walk in the caves and Skull Rock. Now that was spooky! They really are quite eerie at night. It felt very different from during the day and it was absolutely deserted. I did try taking some photos. There was a great one looking through the waterfall onto the pirate ship or it would have been if I was any good at photography.

We made our way back to Main Street and up to the bandstand. We were hoping that the villains would come out again like they did the other night when we were waiting to watch Dreams. It was raining quite hard by now so we sheltered by the shops and waited….and waited…..and waited. I don’t know whether it was the rain, or whether it was just a one off the previous night but the villains didn’t materialise. We thought about watching Dreams again but all the good spots had gone by now and we knew we couldn’t beat the experience we had the other night so we braved the rain and went back to the room to do a bit of packing before bed –boo hoo!

Look, no villains! We did see lots of fish in the river on the way back to the hotel though. We stopped and said hello to them every night. Yes, we are a bit weird!

Edited at 08:38 PM.
clochette is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 16, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

Really enjoyed this In March myself and DS 8 will do 1 day DLP and 1 day paris, before heading for the airport. This has been really helful for our Paris day. Thank you
happytraveller is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 16, 11:29 PM  
Link to this Post
clochette
Apprentice Imagineer

I'm glad it helped. It was a whistle stop tour of Paris really, of course but it ticked most of the boxes. The one thing I would like to do if we go again is visit Notre Dame, and maybe the Louvre. After all, I suppose everyone should see the Mona Lisa. DD would like to go back to the Louvre to spend more time in the shopping centre!
clochette is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 16, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

Originally Posted by clochette View Post
I'm glad it helped. It was a whistle stop tour of Paris really, of course but it ticked most of the boxes. The one thing I would like to do if we go again is visit Notre Dame, and maybe the Louvre. After all, I suppose everyone should see the Mona Lisa. DD would like to go back to the Louvre to spend more time in the shopping centre!
It was the whistle stop manner that really helped as our trip will be; arrive at CDG at 23.30 then head to hotel on 17th March. 18th March DLP then 19th Up early, breakfast, then into paris for a few hours and then off to catch our flight home for 18.40
happytraveller is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 16, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
What a lovely day. You got some great photos. I do love Paris! We are fortunate to live in London so have done several day trips to Paris on the Eurostar very cheaply.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List