Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 20 Jan 17, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Ninnybobs
Apprentice Imagineer

in case you were thinking about buying one... Aldi have a Garmin Satnav that you can have US maps on with lifetime updates for £79.99. I think the model is the nuvi 58 LMT.
Ninnybobs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 17, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
shrek1609
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Mobile

Originally Posted by Pavilion1983 View Post
I'm on EE as well but for peace of mind switched off Data. (even when on still no data charge) Navmii worked really well, the only other thing I did was to pre-loaded the addresses of all the places we were visiting. it just seemed a lot quicker when connected to Wifi
Thanks for that
I've downloaded it onto my phone
Assume it will let me preload addresses of parks, villa, hard rock hotel etc whilst still here.
Just worried about getting out there and having no reliable sat nav as staying down at west haven this time which is a new area for us
shrek1609 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 17, 11:58 PM  
Link to this Post
grinner82
Imagineer

grinner82's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 19
Guidebook Photos: 83
Guidebook Reviews: 10
Navmii is all you will need, free! Does not get better than that! Just keep your phone on charge as the GPS eats battery. I also tend to take it out its case and point a air vent at it as mine gets rather hot when using GPS all the time.
Old 23 Jan 17, 12:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Pavilion1983
Imagineer

Originally Posted by shrek1609 View Post
Thanks for that
I've downloaded it onto my phone
Assume it will let me preload addresses of parks, villa, hard rock hotel etc whilst still here.
Just worried about getting out there and having no reliable sat nav as staying down at west haven this time which is a new area for us
It worked really well the only issue I had was selecting toll roads when leaving the airport. I asked it to use them and it seemed to ignore me and send me down the I4. To be fair I was a little tired. As you can download different maps, why not download the UK ones so you can try it over here first and make sure you're happy.

I would happily use it next time
Old 23 Jan 17, 12:02 AM  
Link to this Post
shrek1609
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Mobile

It worked really well the only issue I had was selecting toll roads when leaving the airport. I asked it to use them and it seemed to ignore me and send me down the I4. To be fair I was a little tired. As you can download different maps, why not download the UK ones so you can try it over here first and make sure you're happy.

I would happily use it next time
What a fab idea. Yes will try the uk maps first and see how I get on with it. Thanks for all your help
shrek1609 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 17, 12:04 AM  
Link to this Post
lindaj
Imagineer

If you have an Iphone you can download free sat navs and they work fine.
Old 23 Jan 17, 12:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Pavilion1983
Imagineer

Originally Posted by shrek1609 View Post
What a fab idea. Yes will try the uk maps first and see how I get on with it. Thanks for all your help
No Problem, The only thing that would have made it better would be a windscreen holder for the iPhone, but not essential.
Old 23 Jan 17, 07:52 AM  
Link to this Post
johnmcmaster
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

No Problem, The only thing that would have made it better would be a windscreen holder for the iPhone, but not essential.

I bought a cheap one off of eBay for under a fiver and it's grand.
johnmcmaster is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 17, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Now I may be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that you can't stick "stuff" on a windscreen in FL. I'll have a hunt around again to check..
We always use the heater vent clips, brings the sat Nav closer.
Also in the last four rentals they all had satnav fitted, but only one worked, the others all adived me on the screen that the free period had run out, and I needed to raise a monthly subscription... eh?... no thanks.
We have a Garmin 42 with maps I bought at Wallmart. Mrs PPM works in Asda so we get 10% discount on non food items in Wallmart

Just checked the sticker thing and it's ok in FL but in many other states it's illegal see this...
gpstracklog/2012/06/winds...28-states.html

Edited at 09:12 AM.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 17, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
pluto99
Very Serious Dibber

Anyone bought one off American sat navs at the top of the page
pluto99 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List