Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Jan 17, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Amy1989
Imagineer

Mobile Help with 5year old keep waking up in night

My 5 year old has recently moved into he's own room and now he sleeps from 8pm - 730am everyday
But now since going in he's own room he's sleeping from 8-midnighg then waking up going to the toilet every hour to 2 hours any advice I'm not sure if he's going or if it's just to get out of bed!

Any advice
Amy1989 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 17, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

he shouldn't be needing the toilet every 1-2 hours so unless hes going that often during the day in which case he may have a water infection its most likely an excuse.
If hes waking at the same time each night is there something happening at that time that is waking him?
Is he getting cold during the night? ds has been waking me up telling me he's cold lately as he constantly kicks all the covers off.
how does he settle to sleep? does he go off on his own or have some kind of routine? if hes not used to self settling he may be finding it hard to get back to sleep once woken
what happens when he gets up? is he getting a lot of attention
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 17, 11:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Leanne1977
Imagineer

Leanne1977's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile

It's a big step for little ones to be in their own room. He may not be settling properly as he is scared of all the night time noises etc. I don't particularly like sleeping alone and I'm 39 so it's a big deal to a 5 year old. He might just need a cuddle.

WDW Villa Jul/Aug 2005
DLP SL Jan/Feb 2006, DCR Feb 2007, Cheyenne Feb 2008, NB Nov 2009, Ibis July 2010
WDW Pop Sept 2006
WDW ASM/HRH/POP Sept 2007 free DDP
WDW Regal Sun/SSR/CIAS May 2008
WDW CIAS/RPR/Cypress Pointe GV Aug 2008
WDW Highgate Park/AKV/BCV Dec 2008
WDW SSR/Pop May 2009
WDW RPR/BCV/BWV/VB/VWL/OKW/Kidani/DCL Jul/Aug 2009
WDW Dibb Villa/Regal Sun May 2010
WDW BCV/VB/DCL Oct/Nov 2010 Wedding trip!
WDW SSR/Dibb Villa/VB Oct 2011 1st wedding anniversary trip!
WDW OKW/VB/Peabody Aug 2013
Leanne1977 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 17, 01:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

Is he waking because he needs the Toilet, or because something else is waking him and he can't go back to sleep without going to the loo first (like a routine?)
2014 - Rosen Inn International, Hard Rock Hotel, Yacht club and Bay Lake Tower! Mr Bears Grand Adventure, 2015- A sneaky to DLP- Sequoia Lodge, 2016- Another WDW trip... BLT, AKL, HRH and Rosen Inn - Mr Bear takes Boris to WDW, 2022 - Taking the small fry…. Coronado spring addition, 2024 - Riding solo?
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 17, 08:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Amy1989
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks everyone he goes to the toilet the 1st time then it's just an excuse and he tries to come into my room I say in he's room why he goes to sleep so I need to start letting him do it by himself 1 night he kept going back to he's room and went back to sleep otherwise he sits outside my bedroom door
Old 23 Jan 17, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicki G
Imagineer

Nicki G's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 7
My 5 year old has always slept no bother straight through but since my return to work she has been getting up in the night. It is lessening now as the weeks go on and she is waking less and less. She has simply needed that bit of re-assurance that I am still there and a quick cuddle. It sounds as though your little one with the move into his own room might be the same just needing a quick check in with you to make sure you haven't gone anywhere. I hope he starts to settle soon.

Nicki
Nicki G is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 17, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Kcstyle
slightly serious Dibber

we have been going through this for about 6 months with our 4 1/2 year old - some nights good some not so good.

The advise is tell them your expectations at bed time (ours is you can go to the toilet once and we will only say its bedtime and take you back to bed without speaking to you). In the morning go over if he was an angel or if he thinks he got up too much.

if he does this he gets 1 sticker, if he gets 3 he gets a mini present (magazine) when he gets 9 he gets a present of his choice.

we find if we get into a conversation he gets up often over the next 2 hours which is sooo tiring for us...

its slowly working and he is slowly getting the message...

other things are is there too much light pollution in his room?

If you want any advise feel free to message or PM me. Theres lots of various advise!

Thanks
kris
Kcstyle is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 17, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Amy1989
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Kcstyle View Post
we have been going through this for about 6 months with our 4 1/2 year old - some nights good some not so good.

The advise is tell them your expectations at bed time (ours is you can go to the toilet once and we will only say its bedtime and take you back to bed without speaking to you). In the morning go over if he was an angel or if he thinks he got up too much.

if he does this he gets 1 sticker, if he gets 3 he gets a mini present (magazine) when he gets 9 he gets a present of his choice.

we find if we get into a conversation he gets up often over the next 2 hours which is sooo tiring for us...

its slowly working and he is slowly getting the message...

other things are is there too much light pollution in his room?

If you want any advise feel free to message or PM me. Theres lots of various advise!

Thanks
kris
Thanks so much I'll use your ideas he's such a mummy's boy to
Old 23 Jan 17, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
mushumadness
VIP Dibber

mushumadness's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Mobile

We had this for a while with one of the twins
It wasn't because of being in her room with her sister they've been in their since they were two months old
She was wanting the confirmation we were still there and she wasn't alone
Resolved it with a teddy sprayed with my perfume
So she can smell me she's happy
Kids weird huh
We top the perfume up after washing teddy every few weeks and lily chooses which of my perfume we spray on
mushumadness is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 17, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
lovestoplan
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Our daughter was for ever shouting " mummy, is it mornnniinngggg? What seems like every five minutes. Just a few weeks ago we bought a grow clock from argos £25. You set the sleep times and it's a yellow sun face during the day, you tell it your going to bed at which time it turns blue with a moon and stars and then changes yellow when they are allowed to get up. I told her that unless it was a code red situ ie being eaten by a shark etc then we didn't want to hear from her till the sun has his hat on! It's really worked, it seems like she just didn't know if it was time to get up or not ( I thought the pitch dark would have been a clue? )
lovestoplan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List