Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 14 Jan 17, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Cover with Alamo brits

Was looking through information on Alamo t & c's and it says this is an optional extra:

Excess Protection (EP)
In the event of damage and or theft, an excess is applicable which varies depending on vehicle type. Excess protection will cover £1100 of damage, subject to terms and conditions of the rental agreement. The following excess amounts apply:

All Cars - £1200
Mini MPV's and MPV's - £1350
Premium vehicles, SUV's & 4x4's - £1600

But on my booking confirmation it says I have

Description Price
Collision Damage Waiver (CDW)
Included
Extended Liability Protection (ep) (usa/ca: Up To $1 Mil)
Included
Landlord Concession Fee Recovery
Included
Tire Battery Fee .02 Day
Included
Per day
Included
Vehicle License Fee
Included
Sales Tax
Included
Unlimited Mileage
Included
1 Additional Driver
Included
10% Discount
Included

So do I have EP?think I just want reassurance that I am covered for everything and I won't be liaible for a big bill if something happens?
The only additional option that I can see that I can add on is Roadside recovery - is this worth getting and how much is it?or can I get something similar here but cheaper? Any recommendations would be great.
Thank you dibbers for your help
Tweety1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 17, 01:34 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Yes it includes everything you need.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 17, 02:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. The coverage as Sha9 says is fine. It's everything you need and in any icident you won't be billed for anything. Well apart from tolls and a red light infraction!

With regards to enhanced roadside assistance only you can decide on that. Most of us don't bother. Some buy from a UK broker or an American broker

DuncanB is the expert on this and he uses this company.

enhancedroadsideassistance/

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 17, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
OP. The coverage as Sha9 says is fine. It's everything you need and in any icident you won't be billed for anything. Well apart from tolls and a red light infraction!

With regards to enhanced roadside assistance only you can decide on that. Most of us don't bother. Some buy from a UK broker or an American broker

DuncanB is the expert on this and he uses this company.

enhancedroadsideassistance/
Thanks Tom I was hoping you were going to answer!I was quite happy then I was reading on their website about refunds as their prices seem to have come down and there was a section about EP and it confused me as I thought I was covered for all incidents. Thank you for confirming that I am covered.
As a sideline why don't you get roadside? What would you do if something happened?
DuncanB if you read this can you let me know why you have it - have you had cause to use it and been glad you took it out?

Edited at 02:36 PM.
Tweety1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 17, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
ROBBOTOO
Imagineer

We pay for the extra protection for windscreen and tyres etc but purchase here not from the rental company.

To be fair we've never needed to claim, but that's the whole thing about any insurance ! It's not until you need it that you wish you had it.

I understand though why others take the chance.

I factor it into the cost of the holiday.
ROBBOTOO is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 17, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
OP. I chance it! I have rented for 40 years out there. I have been towed off the New Jersey turnpike (Avis) I have had to get a car fixed due to an electrical issue in W. Virginia (Avis - they reimbursed me)
I have had 4 slow punctues - 2 last August!
I have also had 'dogs' from Dollar that had a slow, back window wouldn't lower, rear n/s door wouldn't open etc

Any issue I swap the car. If I get a puncture I can change it.

If the windscreen gets smashed then I'm down!

It's a gamble I know but after 40 yrs of renting and for the last 10 years 3 times per annum I am quids in. Fingers crossed

Edit. If you can't change a wheel yourself or don't wish to then roadside assistance is a must.

Edited at 03:12 PM. Reason: Spelling
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 17, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ROBBOTOO View Post
We pay for the extra protection for windscreen and tyres etc but purchase here not from the rental company.

To be fair we've never needed to claim, but that's the whole thing about any insurance ! It's not until you need it that you wish you had it.

I understand though why others take the chance.

I factor it into the cost of the holiday.
That's what I'm thinking I've just had a quick look at the link Mrmorrow sent and it says it costs $17.50 so if there all it is I prob will just do it. Is that about right for a week? If you didn't take it and had a flat I would be who do you call and how much is it going to cost!
Old 14 Jan 17, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
OP. I chance it! I have rented for 40 years out there. I have been towed off the New Jersey turnpike (Avis) I have had to get a car fixed due to an electrical issue in W. Virginia (Avis - they reimbursed me)
I have had 4 slow punctues - 2 last August!
I have also had 'dogs' from Dollar that had a slow, back window wouldn't lower, rear n/s door wouldn't open etc

Any issue I swap the car. If I get a puncture I can change it.

If the windscreen gets smashed them I'm down!

It's a gamble I know but after 40 yrs of renting and for the last 10 years 3 times per annum I am quids in. Fingers crossed
I think I'm just jealous how long and how many times you have been lol
Thank you for your advice - if it's only $17.50(I only had a quick look what you sent me) then I will just pay it for peace of mind - I don't know how to change a tyre ha ha
I've just saved £38 on Brits this morning so happy days
Old 14 Jan 17, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Tweety1 View Post
I think I'm just jealous how long and how many times you have been lol
Thank you for your advice - if it's only $17.50(I only had a quick look what you sent me) then I will just pay it for peace of mind - I don't know how to change a tyre ha ha
I've just saved £38 on Brits this morning so happy days
Roadside assistance is the only thing I would go DIY for. Some on here buy stand alone Insurance from a UK broker. Not for me!
If you Google for it loads of sites come up.
However DuncanB is the authority on it and I respect his choice. If he is happy with the company he uses it must be good

Maybe PM him as he hasn't been on here today I don't think

Old 14 Jan 17, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
ROBBOTOO
Imagineer

We have ours through here, but we have annual worldwide policy due to going away to Europe later in the year and hiring a car there too. So it works out at £23.99 per trip for us.

This one also covers items which may be damaged through attempted theft or actually stolen from the car and the policy covers all named drivers.

carhireexcess/

£23.99 compared to the total cost of the holiday is just peace of mind for us. I don't want to be worrying about windscreens and stuff ... I'm on holiday !

We only want extended cover for keys, windscreen etc, as we have full protection for CDW etc through our booking with Alamo Brits.

Edited at 05:26 PM.
ROBBOTOO is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List