Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 16 Jan 17, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
ailsab
Excited about Disney

Free 2nd driver?

Can someone confirm which companies offer a free 2nd driver please?

We are a group of 4 adults (3 of whom are 6ft plus) travelling into Sanford 29th June for a 16.30 pick up and returning July 13th at approx 16.00.

I've got a quote from Budget for a Ford Fusion for £338 and from Avis for £366.

Does anyone have any opinions on whether it's better to pay the extra for Avis and also if either company offer a second driver free by any sign up deals?

All help gratefully accepted. I'm finding the car hire to be the most confusing part of my first DIY holiday.
ailsab is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 17, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Alamo does offer a 2nd driver free but not through all sites. Brits and VA does as do some others
Avis on most sites cover the spouse free.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 17, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Ros & Jim
Imagineer

Budget does free 2nd driver for spouse. This is who we usually use.
Old 16 Jan 17, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Gilly120
Imagineer

Hi

We booked our car through USCarhire.com and then went with Alamo. We had an extra driver with ours, did the skip the counter, go to kiosk etc but we couldn't add him. We went straight to garage kiosk picked car up and on way out went to show his details and have him added but the attendant said as we were from the UK he didn't need to be added and could drive the car as could anyone else in the car who were over 25 and had their licence.
Old 16 Jan 17, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
memphis69
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Alamo does offer a 2nd driver free but not through all sites. Brits and VA does as do some others
Is the Avis spouse free cover with BA flydrives do you know.
memphis69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 17, 04:55 PM  
Link to this Post
ailsab
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Ros & Jim View Post
Budget does free 2nd driver for spouse. This is who we usually use.
Did you have to do anything to get this? When I've looked it's saying the additional driver is $10 per day extra.
ailsab is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 17, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
ailsab
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Thank you. I've looked at Alamo but they are a lot more expensive. Also the BA/Avis site doesn't offer cars from Sanford unfortunately.
Old 16 Jan 17, 11:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Ros & Jim
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ailsab View Post
Did you have to do anything to get this? When I've looked it's saying the additional driver is $10 per day extra.
No, never had to pay any extra for this. When we go to show both licenses, they usually ask if I am a spouse and when we reply yes, we are told they don't even need to see my licence.
Old 17 Jan 17, 07:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Incarniac
Very Serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Originally Posted by ailsab View Post
Originally Posted by Ros & Jim View Post
No, never had to pay any extra for this. When we go to show both licenses, they usually ask if I am a spouse and when we reply yes, we are told they don't even need to see my licence.
Yep, we've used Budget and the had the same. Avis is the same, as is Hertz if you're a Gold Member (which is free).

This is the relevant section on the Budget site under "Common Questions" - snippet:
Originally Posted by Budget - Do you charge extra for an additional driver?
The following are exempt from the fee but must meet all other driver requirements: the renter's employer or fellow employee when on company business and renting under a corporate account; the renter's spouse or domestic partner; the companion driver of a renter with a disability who has completed the non-licensed renter form; for insurance replacement rentals, company employees or family members who are designated on the insurance policy.
Emphasis mine.

Edited at 07:35 AM.
Incarniac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 17, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
ailsab
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Incarniac View Post
Yep, we've used Budget and the had the same. Avis is the same, as is Hertz if you're a Gold Member (which is free).

This is the relevant section on the Budget site under "Common Questions" - snippet:

Emphasis mine.
Thanks for that. I emailed them last night asking the question but this is really helpful. Also thanks to Ros & Jim as well as the others who took the time to respond o my question, I do appreciate it.