Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Jan 17, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggertastic
Imagineer

Broken collarbone advice.

So today the other half broke his collarbone. You can feel where it's broken. Any tips for helping him keep it still and to help it align properly? Or with getting his t-shirts off short of cutting it The nurse did align it before putting the sling on however he can feel it moving if he walks or shifts position.

A secondary question as you can see below not long til we go away at what point do you inform insurance as the nurse advised him to speak to the Dr when he goes to fracture clinic.

Thanks

Edited at 07:34 PM.
tiggertastic is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 17, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
meboo
Imagineer

Mobile

DS16 did it last year. He had 24 hours of terrible pain as the muscles went into spasm around it. We cut tshirt off because he was in terrible pain. We then bought shirts. I think the bone grating together actually promotes healing. We had a 'remote' fracture clinic appt where the Dr reviewed his A&E X-ray & phoned and told us we didn't need to attend. He was back playing piano (though still wearing sling) in a week. I know kids heal fast, but pretty sure he was out of his sling within 2 weeks. He is left with a lump where the bone knitted back together. I'm pretty sure you'll be ok for your hols
meboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 17, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
suehen
Imagineer

DS broke his in 3 places the hospital put it sling with a wrist support and it also went around his waist he could take it off for a wash and pain-killers. He wear his dad's large t-shirts at first with his arm under the shirt, he was afraid of moving the arm to much as he said he could feel it moving about it was about 6-8 weeks before it heal and he still has the bumpy collarbone now. His took a little longer but you will have to see what the hospital say. His was painful for a few weeks. Hope he feel better soon.
suehen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 17, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
yogadeb
Imagineer

Our son broke his age 3 , he healed very very quick within 3-4 weeks . Adults take longer as bones are not as pliable .

Lots or nurofen for your hubby and perhaps a calcium and vitamin d supplement .

Hope he feels better soon.

Edited at 07:54 PM.
yogadeb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 17, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Rataouille92
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I broke mine and all i could do was support it in an arm sling. Take meds and try not to bend too much.
Rataouille92 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 17, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Padfoot
Getting Excited

The clavicle is the only bone which joins the axial skeleton to the arm & therefore dissipates a lot of force through it so it will be very painful for a while. Keep the sling on for as long as the hospital says - it will get better. I have done this to both clavicles 3 times!
When dressing bad arm first, when undressing bad arm last, this will make it more comfortable.
Bones tend take 4-6 weeks to heal.
Old 22 Jan 17, 11:59 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggertastic
Imagineer

Thanks all. I have moved him off the sofa on the a less comfy chair but one he can't slouch in. Told him to rotate between them!

Just nervous about bed now he doesn't want to go. But heas don't want to wake up and find none out of place. When he stands it moves. Oh it's horrid!

Just hope it's sets itself right soon! Will see what is said at the fracture clinic when we get an app. And what is said about holiday
tiggertastic is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 17, 12:05 AM  
Link to this Post
meboo
Imagineer

Mobile

We used pillows either side so DS couldn't easily roll over - I think the pain would have stopped him anyway ! After the first night we didn't worry. I have a feeling he kept the sling on in bed to keep the arm at a good angle & not too much strain on the collar bone
meboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 17, 12:20 AM  
Link to this Post
tiggertastic
Imagineer

Yes. I went and bought extra pillows to prop him up. His sling is on and a cushion under his elbow.

It's all worse cause he can't use his other hand as that's possibly broken too

Edited at 12:36 AM.
Old 23 Jan 17, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
storm
Imagineer

If he is only wearing a basic sling reduce the arm movement by placing a strip of fabric/another sling/dressing gown belt around his body going under his good arm just above the arm in the sling to stop the arm "bouncing about". Bean bags are also good as they mould to his shape. Wear a tee shirt over the sling also reduces the bounce. Take the pain relief.
storm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List