Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 6 Jan 17, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Disneyland Paris first time in 8 years - 1. 19.12.16

Today our holiday really started as we were moving to the Disneyland Hotel and would pick up our park tickets

The weather was cloudy and very cold but dry so happy about that. We mostly got packed up and then went down for breakfast. This was pretty much what we had had at other Disney hotels, pastries, sliced meat, cheese, fruit and cereals. Hot stuff was available for a supplement, but we declined. We got the car loaded and headed the short drive over to the Disneyland Hotel.

To get in we had to go through two lots of security and dh had to get out and let them poke about in the boot. Through all that and we handed the car over to the valet parking and our bags were loaded on to a trolley until our room was ready - think it was about 10am by now. No queue at check in and a very nice receptionist got our pack out and explained everything to me. Dh and kids were chilling by the fire and enjoying the atmosphere so I joined them and we sorted out all the vouchers for food, fastpass etc. We discovered we were short a days worth of the Pause Gourmand snack vouchers so I went back and sorted that out. We also discussed where we were going to eat and got that sorted at the Concierge - California Grill that night, Walts on Tuesday and Chez Remy on Wednesday. We then decided to dump the vouchers, passports, car docs etc in a safety deposit box before heading to the park.

At this point we did sort of go into headless chicken mode and actually just wandered around enjoying the Christmas feel, the snow on Mainstreet and just the whole Disney experience. We read the board and dh checked his app and we decided to head to Haunted Mansion first to do a family ride. Although it didn't bother me, he was insistent that the first ride be something we all could do. I think it was a bit longer than the advertised 15 mins but I just enjoyed every one being happy and looking around at everything. Apart from a few minor delays caused by those pesky spooks we had a smooth ride! Next up was a wander up past the refurbed Big Thunder, Frozen singalong theatre, photo stop at the Sven and Olaf sleigh and a ride on the train from Frontierland to Fantasyland.

As this bought us out by Peter Pan we decided to bite the bullet and queue for it. It was as lovely as I remember, in DLP I think it is my fav ride (sorry but I am a woosh!)

This is where I wished I had made notes and wasn't working from DH ones! I think we headed over for a leisurely ride on Fairy Tale Brook and Casey Junior before we back tracked ant picked Colonel Hathis Pizza for lunch. This came to just over 50E for the 4 of us and took hours to be served! This was something I had hoped would be better in the parks but all 3 aspects - food, service and cost were still disappointing, although to be fair our theme parks aren't any better!

At this point ds wanted a wander on his own, he still needed to find some presents and decided sooner rather than later worked best for him. DH, dd and me did the Pixar Short Film Festival which we really enjoyed, and sad that we only saw it once. We then met up with ds again and did the Frozen Sing a Long which dd and I loved, belting out Let it Go, ds just tried to sink into his coat but dh joined in the spirit!

By now the 3 of them were itching for a BTM so off they went while I collected some hot chocs and donuts to keep us going until dinner. The vouchers can only be used between 3-6pm so we just collected them when we saw an outlet. The hotel fast passes were the same as couldn't be used between 1-4pm, so again mostly we used them in the evenings.

Anyway I waited by the photo exit which is actually quite a nice spot to stand.

By now (and I may have got it wrong) it was close to check in time so we headed back to the hotel to sort out our room and luggage. We got a very nice room which, although a long way from reception and the restaurants was accessible just beside the exit from the parks. This is the main reason we picked the Disneyland, so nice to be back in your room only a few mins after leaving the park.

Anyway it was huge, with 1 massive (3 pillows wide) bed, regular double bed and a big chaise longue type sofa bed, loads of space around it all and a nice little balcony overlooking the spa and gardens. We were very happy with it all. There was also a table with 2-3 nice chairs and the usual tv/coffee/chest of drawers etc. Dh was very pleased to see a Nespresso machine. The kids shed 20 years and were very excited to see the little chocolate santas left on all the pillows!

I think we then headed back out to see what Studios was like, especially the Ratatouille area which we hadn't seen before. Ds and dd went off on their own and after a wander dh and I did Studio Backlot Tour in the dark. Again we enjoyed it but some of it is very dated now, was very surprised that it was still Jeremy Irons doing the commentary!

Met up with kids again and headed back to California Grill for dinner. This was the best meal of the week for us all - service, food, location all fantastic, although without the vouchers not sure if it was worth what they were charging!
starter of beetroot sliced paper thin and rolled around some goat cheese mix
pork loin with a horseradish crust on a bed of bean and chorizo stew
chocolate mousse thing, delish but so rich so only managed half

By this time I think it was around 8-8.30 so dh and I went back out into the park, ds and dd may have come with us but we definitely ended up separated. We had a wander in the shops and then found a spot for Dreams. Wow this was fantastic, they have taken some of the projection onto water from California and it was just lovely, no words for it but a wonderful end to our first day.

Nothing else apart from a short trip back to our room and settle down for the night, all of us being very considerate with our bathroom usage!
Old 9 Jan 17, 11:51 PM  
Link to this Post
judy22
Apprentice Imagineer

That food looks delicious. It must be lovely to see it all Christmassy
judy22 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 17, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by judy22 View Post
That food looks delicious. It must be lovely to see it all Christmassy
It was Judy, I almost wish we had eaten there again! Although it was cold and nice while we were there apparently it got better, the lake was frozen last week!