Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 8 Jan 17, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Madfish
Imagineer

Car Hire and Cancellation Virgin and Alamo/Brits

Have been looking at car hire for the summer for quite a while but prices continue to be fairly high. Will be looking to do a number of separate hires as don't need the car all the time as on site for most of it. Have looked at various providers, so just wanting to check some things before booking anything.

I know in the past, using alamo.co.uk/brits that we were able to cancel and rebook if the rates decreased without any penalty. Is this still the same?

Also, does anybody know if you can do the same with car hire through Virgin? Reading the T&C would suggest that the cancellation charge is £120 even if cancelled more than 43 days in advance. Seems somewhat excessive.

Does anybody have any other suggestions for companies that allow you to cancel without penalty.

Thanks for the advice.
Madfish is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 17, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I have regularly booked via VA but since the changes in their website it's not clear anymore ref cancellation. I'm on the case though!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 17, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Madfish
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I have regularly booked via VA but since the changes in their website it's not clear anymore ref cancellation. I'm on the case though!
Thanks. Couldn't get it to show much on my phone so had to use the laptop. Seems to be suggesting same rates as for flight and hotel as it is for car hire which surely cannot be right?
Madfish is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 17, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
I'm finding Brits is coming out quite a bit cheaper at the moment than Virgin. Plus you can amend if the price drops or cancel altogether if that helps.

Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 17, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
The Bairn
Serious Dibber

I have bit the bullet with VH tonight as considerably cheaper than the rest for a full size SUV.

Much prefer Alamo or Avis so try to side with those.

Alamo Brits was an incredible £320ish more expensive which would have been easiest for amending.

However with a current spreadsheet of 138 prices/providers (just a tad obsessive ) I'm glad to have locked in.
East coast USA since '92 - Rosen Centre, Wyndham, Marriott World Center, Championsgate Villas, Peabody/Hyatt, Hyatt Grand Cypress, Yacht Club, Beach Club, WDW Dolphin, Animal Kingdom, Gran Destino, Hard Rock, Royal Pacific, Sapphire Falls, Key West, Hollywood Beach, Miami, St Petes, Sandpearl, AMI x24, Caribbean cruises, Smokey Mountains, Nashville.
The Bairn is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 17, 11:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Madfish
Imagineer

k
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I'm finding Brits is coming out quite a bit cheaper at the moment than Virgin. Plus you can amend if the price drops or cancel altogether if that helps.
Thanks again.

Have been recrunching the numbers again tonight having done so a couple of months ago. Compared Alamo with Virgin, BA, Avis, ebookers and netflights. Alamo was cheaper still from 16/8/17 as I found previously, however, Virgin are cheaper before this date. Virgins prices stay the same through July/August but Alamo drop midway through the month.

Overall, Virgin's prices have dropped slightly compared to a couple of months ago but Alamo's have gone up a couple of pounds.

Looking at a couple of single day hire so going to get a Standard SUV with Virgin for £47 per day, then later switching to Alamo after 16/8/17 for Standard SUV at £34 per day, with the final two days having a Full Size SUV for £63 per day - driving down to Miami.

Did find some info on the Virgin Website about hire cars which seem to contradict the info in the T&Cs.
Old 8 Jan 17, 11:17 PM  
Link to this Post
headpin
Getting Excited

Have you tried Auto Europe. I find that they are often the cheapest and you can cancel, although they will normally price match at any time until you depart.
headpin is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 17, 12:15 AM  
Link to this Post
emmyloup
Getting to know the DIBB

We've just booked a Standard SUV (Ford Edge) for 21 days using the multiple car rental option on BA/Avis at a cost of £26 per day (£560 total with 2% back through Quidco). We pick up on 12 August, swapping car and/or paperwork on 23 August and then returning on 1 September. Plus we get additional driver as members of BA Executive Club. Non refundable but able to pay deposit £150. This was the cheapest I've seen for our dates and have been checking on and off since April last year. If booked as single rental cost was £1012 with BA/Avis and £1133 with Alamo Brits. Pleased with this price as 2 years ago we paid £24 per day for a Ford Kuga.
Old 9 Jan 17, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Madfish View Post
k

Thanks again.

Have been recrunching the numbers again tonight having done so a couple of months ago. Compared Alamo with Virgin, BA, Avis, ebookers and netflights. Alamo was cheaper still from 16/8/17 as I found previously, however, Virgin are cheaper before this date. Virgins prices stay the same through July/August but Alamo drop midway through the month.

Overall, Virgin's prices have dropped slightly compared to a couple of months ago but Alamo's have gone up a couple of pounds.

Looking at a couple of single day hire so going to get a Standard SUV with Virgin for £47 per day, then later switching to Alamo after 16/8/17 for Standard SUV at £34 per day, with the final two days having a Full Size SUV for £63 per day - driving down to Miami.

Did find some info on the Virgin Website about hire cars which seem to contradict the info in the T&Cs.
You are right. Since the changes in VA and VH computer sytstems it wasn't as easy to find.

The 'advertising' that they have there means they would not be able to deny a cancellation and refund.

Edited at 09:49 AM.
Old 9 Jan 17, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Madfish
Imagineer

Originally Posted by emmyloup View Post
We've just booked a Standard SUV (Ford Edge) for 21 days using the multiple car rental option on BA/Avis at a cost of £26 per day (£560 total with 2% back through Quidco). We pick up on 12 August, swapping car and/or paperwork on 23 August and then returning on 1 September. Plus we get additional driver as members of BA Executive Club. Non refundable but able to pay deposit £150. This was the cheapest I've seen for our dates and have been checking on and off since April last year. If booked as single rental cost was £1012 with BA/Avis and £1133 with Alamo Brits. Pleased with this price as 2 years ago we paid £24 per day for a Ford Kuga.
Thanks for this. Looked at individual bookings but not multiple ones. Effectively giving a decent daily rate when I look at a range of separate dates and vehicle sizes, so looks like I will be doing this. Just need to check toll charges for Avis, and also if I can pick from a line at MCO or just get from LBV for the Full Size SUV that we want.