Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 3 Apr 18, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill635
Imagineer

Gill635's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by landandword17 View Post
I would say for an adults trip Carmel, Santa Barbara, Palm Springs, Laguna Beach are good options.

Not sure if you want to drive the whole way. You could fly from Seattle down to SFO or Fresno and rent the car there to save some time. You will struggle to fit in Zion. It’s too out of the way and would be better grouped with a Vegas/Grand Canyon trip.
Thank you for the advice.

Are those just beaches though? As much as a relax would be lovely, I think we would need stuff to actually do too!

I was looking at Zion today - it does seem much more of a trek than we were initially advised. I’ll have to have a think about that one.

We will be using internal flights for the longer journeys. Our last trip had some pretty big drives - usually fine as me and my dad both drive, however we were both so I’ll last time, and he had vertigo too, so it was all left to me. Again, usually fine, but I was also really ill so definitely don’t want to risk that again!

X
Old 3 Apr 18, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill635
Imagineer

Gill635's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by tocpe321 View Post
Sorry you had a rotten trip last time.

We went for 3 weeks but it was all in California.

Along the Pacific Coast Highway we went to some great places including the Elephant Seal Rookery, Avila and Cayucos. Just nice laid back times in scenic places. Much of the PCH was closed/ difficult to get to regarding landslide closures. Hopefully when you go it will be fully open.

Yosemite was, as expected, very scenic. We did the Valley Floor tour on our first day there. We drove out through Tioga Pass, which was beautiful. Please bear in mind that for much of the year it may be snowbound. I think when we went in August the Pass had only opened in something like late-June.

We really enjoyed Joshua Tree because of the scenery and being in a different desert environment. We stayed in 29 Palms.

In LA area we stayed in Redondo Beach for a few nights. We spent one day at Knotts Berry Farm, which was a nice family park. On another day we hired bikes and rode along the Strand around Hermosa and Manhattan. We swam in the Ocean at Manhattan. It was August and we found the water to be a lot warmer than expected.

San Diego is a lovely city. We spent a few nights there and it had a nice feel to it. We had Mexican food in the Old Town, spent a day in San Diego Zoo and went to the USS Midway, as well as visiting beaches.

Happy planning and I hope things go well this time.

Thank you!

Seeing the seals would be completely amazing, I’m such a sucker for wildlife, which is why we’re going back to the San Juan islands.

I’ve wanted to see San Diego for so long, I’m really excited to finally be going

X
Old 3 Apr 18, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill635
Imagineer

Gill635's Reviews
Originally Posted by red cuillen View Post
Just driven 3 1/2 hours from Monterey to Solvang on the 101. It's not the best freeway I've been on, very bumpy in a few places and some roadworks, so I'd agree with flying down if you don't mind all the hassle that goes with flying! Never been happier to get a pint of amber ale inside me!
Off to Joshua Tree NP in a few days time. My family did Monterey aquarium - tourist nightmare for me - whilst I spent the day visiting nature reserves around Moss Landing (the snowy plover beach aka 'piper' from pixar shorts). We also did the Henry Cowell state park near Felton for redwoods and a steam train!
Didn't think Knotts was much to write home about for adults?
Wow sounds amazing!

Solvang looks beautiful, did you get to spend much time there at all? I was showing it my parents last night, and they are really interested in visiting there.

Is Knotts more geared towards smaller children then? Would we be better with Six Flags?

My dad is wanting to get back into doing the rides (he has been designated bag holder for years due to having bad motion sickness from too many repeat goes in Busch!) so I thought it might be a good mix of bigger rides and the more sedate to ease him in?

I’ll have to have a look at Joshua Tree too

X
Gill635 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 18, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Gill635 View Post
Thank you!

Seeing the seals would be completely amazing, I’m such a sucker for wildlife, which is why we’re going back to the San Juan islands.

I’ve wanted to see San Diego for so long, I’m really excited to finally be going

X
It’s great there.

If you haven’t already check out Aims’ sticky on San Diego. Loads of fantastic information and she’s always very helpful with questions.

Edited at 07:35 PM.
tocpe321 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 18, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gill635 View Post
Thank you for the advice.

Are those just beaches though? As much as a relax would be lovely, I think we would need stuff to actually do too!

I was looking at Zion today - it does seem much more of a trek than we were initially advised. I’ll have to have a think about that one.

We will be using internal flights for the longer journeys. Our last trip had some pretty big drives - usually fine as me and my dad both drive, however we were both so I’ll last time, and he had vertigo too, so it was all left to me. Again, usually fine, but I was also really ill so definitely don’t want to risk that again!

X
No not at all. Santa Barbara is the prettiest town in California in my opinion. It's called the American Riviera. We we there 2 days and didn't go to the beach. Carmel is also a gorgeous town and close to Big Sur, Monterey etc.., Palm Springs is a desert town so no beach and Laguna Beach is also a beautiful town with a great art scene.

It will all depend on your final itinerary but all of the above are great adult only destinations with shopping, dining, activities, nice accommodations etc.. and might fins a place in your final draft.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 18, 05:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

We did Joshua Tree and San Diego last Christmas and loved both! I did a trip report (in my signature) if you would like more details!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 18, 05:58 AM  
Link to this Post
red cuillen
Excited about Disney

Hi, we loved Solvang, stayed overnight there then had the morning to walk around for a couple of hours. Don't think you'd need all day unless you wanted to do a wine tour.
Knotts is a nice park though the smaller rides are more like fairground rides so geared more for kids. My 12 and 24 did one 'small' ride which my youngest loved but left my eldest queasy for the rest of the day! It is cheap though and the farm shop (and boysenberry jam) is worth a visit! Going to Joshua tree at the weekend!

Edited at 06:16 AM.
red cuillen is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 18, 08:10 AM  
Link to this Post
enjibenji
Imagineer

enjibenji's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by tocpe321 View Post
Hi

We stayed at the Fairfield Inn in 29 Palms. In terms of the hotel and the room it was probably one of if not the best for us. Not a grand place, but friendly reception, nice feel to the place, a big room with a separate area with a desk for laptop, a good breakfast and pool. Don’t know if the room was an upgrade. The area has some nice restaurants and the hotel is handy for Joshua Tree.

We visited Manhattan Beach on the bike ride and the area next to the beach semed very nice. We went on the pier. There is a a small free aquarium on it. The beach was nice. We didn’t really see the area away from the beach properly.

Happy planning.
Thanks 👍
enjibenji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 18, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill635
Imagineer

Gill635's Reviews
Mobile

Still planning away in the background!

We can possibly now do more than the original 3 weeks, so are thinking of incorporating some time in Hawaii after the San Juan Islands!

Has anyone done this before?

Xx