Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 20 Apr 18, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
liz-paul
Very Serious Dibber

Thanks for the replies.
Maybe the difference is if I check for example LAX to Anaheim on my home computer in the UK and it's the middle of the night there and then I find that I'm travelling at rush hour when I'm actually there I'll find the timings quite different?
liz-paul is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 18, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Olympiad
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Hi - on Google maps (on a computer not mobile) you can adjust the date and time of the journey so get more realistic estimates for the time of day you plan on driving.

As others have said, have always found Google maps fairly accurate - it's the stop offs that add time.
Olympiad is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 18, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Ariel88 View Post
I find it interesting that people say Google maps isn’t that accurate over there. I use it as my Sat Nav for my daily commute and it’s pretty spot on. Maybe it’s because people are using it on phones not connected to 4G?
Maybe there’s some confusion. I took OP to mean when you search two points on google maps and it gives you the journey time. Not if it’s accurate when you’re using it in real time as a sat nav.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 18, 06:11 PM  
Link to this Post
liz-paul
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by landandword17 View Post
Maybe there’s some confusion. I took OP to mean when you search two points on google maps and it gives you the journey time. Not if it’s accurate when you’re using it in real time as a sat nav.
Yes I meant if I search for the route today in preparation for a holiday next year, I don't mean using it as sat nav (luckily OH sorts that 😅 ). I just meant accuracy in terms of lng term planning!
liz-paul is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 18, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
red cuillen
Excited about Disney

Anaheim to LAX took us an hour on a saturday morning. We even risked the 405, very busy, stop start in places so consider ourselves lucky to do it in an hour. Would have used a different route if doing it during the week! I don't think you need worry about moving closer to LAX for the night before the flight home, just give yourself a good few hours to get there.

We stayed at the Best western Yucca Valley to position ourselves for the Joshua Tree run, it was probably one of the best hotels of the holiday. Most of the out of town hotels were better than city locations, not surprising I suppose given the relevant costs/pressure on space between city/countryside.
red cuillen is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 18, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
liz-paul
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by red cuillen View Post
Anaheim to LAX took us an hour on a saturday morning. We even risked the 405, very busy, stop start in places so consider ourselves lucky to do it in an hour. Would have used a different route if doing it during the week! I don't think you need worry about moving closer to LAX for the night before the flight home, just give yourself a good few hours to get there.

We stayed at the Best western Yucca Valley to position ourselves for the Joshua Tree run, it was probably one of the best hotels of the holiday. Most of the out of town hotels were better than city locations, not surprising I suppose given the relevant costs/pressure on space between city/countryside.
Thanks for the suggestion re hotel. It's on my list of possibles now! Certainly the hotels around Joshua tree don't seem just as eye wateringly expensive as the other locations. I hadn't realised until recently just how expensive accommodation is on the west coast 🤑🤑🤑😱😱😱
Old 21 Apr 18, 12:20 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Traffic varies so much, we've done all those routes several times at various times and traffic is nearly always busy.

Give yourself time that is all.. This year it took us about an hour from Hollywood to Avis at LAX,
2 years ago it was gridlocked all round the airport and it took us almost 2 hrs to do about 10 miles.

LAX to Anaheim varies..We've landed on a Saturday afternoon and done it in 45 mins, this year and last we did something like 20 miles in 2.5 hrs...
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List