Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 26 Apr 18, 03:41 AM  
Link to this Post
flo-tinka
Apprentice Imagineer

Hi Lynne6705
Just looking at whales for our trip in August too but we will be in San Diego when we get chance to do this.
I have been checking today about sightings of whales at that time as it seems grey whales southern migration has just about finished now. Assuming reasonable chance of seeing other kind of whales plus dolphins makes the trips still worthwhile in the summer months?
Hope you get sorted with a good trip (and I’m hoping for no seasickness : why are mornings better pookie? )
flo-tinka is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 18, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Pookle
Apprentice Imagineer

This is from the Sanctuary Cruises about what you might expect to see...

Whale Seasons in Monterey Bay
Spring: Gray Whales, Humpback Whales, Orcas and Dolphins
Summer: Blue Whales, Humpbacks, Orcas, Dolphins, Albatross, Mola, Sea Turtles
Fall: Humpback Whales, Orcas and Dolphins
Winter: Gray Whales, Orcas and Dolphins

Re the morning thing, I think I read it somewhere on Sanctuary Cruises and the morning tends to be a little calmer apparently but I guess the weather can blow up at any time!
Old 26 Apr 18, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Harry
Imagineer

Harry's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Have been twice with the same company `Monterey Whale Watch' the first time in Oct 2009... it was touch and go whether we would go out due to the weather conditions... the captain decided we would go for it ... within half hour I reckon half of the boat was throwing up over the side... it was like a episode of the Deadliest Catch! I had a great time... my wife and daughter not so much! Due to the weather we saw 1000;s of Dolphins... spinners and Risso's but NO whales... the conditions were just too rough... when we got back we was all given rain checks as they guarantee you seeing whales... too be honest they just went in my drawers at home and forgotten about... roll on 2016, we decided to go back to Monterey and remembered the rain checks to be honest I did not hold out much hope when contacting the company but they said they was valid... great news... on the day we had perfect weather... saw nigh on 30+ Humpbacks... many of them breaching yards away from our boat... we followed one for a good half hour who was showing off doing the back stroke whilst whacking his fluke fins... quite rare behaviour so we was informed... we also saw 3 Blue whales and 2 Fin whales... one of the most memorable days in our life.. this was in August... brilliant company who we would use again in a heartbeat...

"... he is moving like a TREMENDOUS machine... "

Edited at 10:33 PM.
Harry is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 18, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
flo-tinka
Apprentice Imagineer

Wow a seven year raincheck
Good sightings on your return. Maybe August is a reasonable time to do this...
Hoping San Diego delivers in August too
flo-tinka is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 18, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
the_lemms
Proud to wear my Ears

We used Monterey Bay Whale watching from fishermans wharf, would highly recommend them. We chose these over Sanctuary on the basis we were staying 10 minute walk from the wharf (sanctuary is about 30min drive) and also when we got back to the wharf we could walk down to Cannery row straight after rather drive back, park up and then go to Cannery.
The trip was great the captain, biologist and deck hands were brilliant, keeping us informed and the deck hands just walking round happy to stop and chat.
Took about 25 minutes to get to the main area where all the other trips were we saw humpbacks, mola mola, seals risso dolphins etc etc. They then informed us there had been more sightings in another area so we left there and traveled about 20 minutes where there were no other boats where we saw humpbacks tail lobbing and 2 really big whales lunge feed, a real awesome thing to see close up.
It really was a highlight of our road trip most of the trips will be in the same area wherever the whales are anyway. The 3 main ones are:
Monterey Bay Whale watching - we used convenient if your staying in Monterey for access, I would use them again - large boat
Princess Whale watching - also located on the wharf, so accessible if your staying in Monterey, large boat, these appear on groupon from time time so cheaper tickets available. Their boat just about followed us to the first sighting area
Sancuary - approx 30 minute drive from Monterey so if 8am trip you will be needing to leave Monterey approx 7am. Small boat, shorter trip to the main submarine bay area (this was 25 mins from the wharf) however their boat was in the same area as us.

Tips I would give:
We all took boots on travel sickness tablets with breakfast and had not even a glimmer of motion sickness
Wear something warm / layers the temp difference took a few people on our trip by surprise, I was fine in jeans, t shirt and hoody,
Consider the boat size, if anyone is not looking forward it because of the boat then bigger is better, check on the websites shows the boats they use
Last one do it and enjoy it, we wished we had another day to go again, and considered doing this but return flight times were just too tight. However we going to the east coast this year and will be ding 2 whale trips cape cod and Boston based on how much we enjoyed Monterey.
the_lemms is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 18, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi again great report by the lemms, moss landing 19 miles,20 mins,and just to say again the wrist bands seamed great with no one sick, not sure if other operators do these
jdouds is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 18, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
lynne6705
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

Thanks all for your replies, seeing as though both companies have come very highly recommended by you all I am basing my booking purely on practicality, we have a lot of driving to do on this holiday so I am going to go for Monterey Bay Whale Watch as we do not need to drive to them.
lynne6705 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 18, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
the_lemms
Proud to wear my Ears

If you follow them on facebook (also sanctuary) you will see daily updates of the trips, at the minute there is an abundance of Orcas in the bay
the_lemms is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 18, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Harry
Imagineer

Harry's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Great professional company... would use them in a heartbeat on our next return

"... he is moving like a TREMENDOUS machine... "
Harry is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List