Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 9 Mar 18, 08:38 AM  
Link to this Post

A stay in Miami after Orlando

Hi guys

We have a week to spend in Orlando for October half term, and not only are the flights cheap going to Miami, but my teens are also excited to visit there. They think that 4 days will be plenty at Universal. I have some questions and I hope you can help!
  • I've never driven anywhere abroad - will the drive terrify me?
  • We plan on picking the car up on the Sunday after staying the night in an airport hotel, but on the way back plan on stopping on the Thursday. Would it be worth getting rid of the car then, and getting public transport around Miami? I'm thinking we will stay in The Confidante which is quite central isn't it? I understand parking is very expensive.
  • Is there enough to do in Miami?!
  • How much will I spend in fuel on the journeys?
  • And in your opinion, would I be better flying into MCO and staying there (at the Aventura) the entire time, just doing other parks, shopping etc? The total cost is not that different but that doesn't include park tickets.

Thanks! Just to clarify we have done Universal and Disney parks, so not our first time, but the girls are very keen to do Universal again. I did consider Hollywood but understand the rides aren't as good!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 18, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
disney babe
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Frizzbomb View Post
Hi guys

We have a week to spend in Orlando for October half term, and not only are the flights cheap going to Miami, but my teens are also excited to visit there. They think that 4 days will be plenty at Universal. I have some questions and I hope you can help!
  • I've never driven anywhere abroad - will the drive terrify me?
  • We plan on picking the car up on the Sunday after staying the night in an airport hotel, but on the way back plan on stopping on the Thursday. Would it be worth getting rid of the car then, and getting public transport around Miami? I'm thinking we will stay in The Confidante which is quite central isn't it? I understand parking is very expensive.
  • Is there enough to do in Miami?!
  • How much will I spend in fuel on the journeys?
  • And in your opinion, would I be better flying into MCO and staying there (at the Aventura) the entire time, just doing other parks, shopping etc? The total cost is not that different but that doesn't include park tickets.

Thanks! Just to clarify we have done Universal and Disney parks, so not our first time, but the girls are very keen to do Universal again. I did consider Hollywood but understand the rides aren't as good!
the drive is fine honestly, its so easy in US, big wide roads, no roundabouts.
we are flying into miami as much cheaper & having 3 nights there, we are buying go orlando cards as they include miami and doing some of the stuff there then using the rest in orlando
we loved the west coast in 2016 and going back in oct this year, disney is a lot smaller but great rides & american adventure is fab, we did anaheim, grand canyon, las vegas, san fran, hollywood inc universal, santa monica. have been to orlando 9 times & this was our best holiday ever
I. Drive july 92,DLP 98,99, 02, 04, comfort suites sept 03, southern dunes july 06, westridge july 09, RPR, orange tree, OKW july 12, chatham park, OKW oct 13, RPR, polo park east, AKL, july 14, CBBR, HRH, CBR, disney dream, BCV oct 15, La, Vegas, SF July 16, new york, GFV, CBR, BCV july 17, Miami, Rosen inn, CBBR july 18, LV, Anaheim Oct 18, rosen inn, aventura dec 18, Fl keys, AoA, portofino bay july 19, mirage LV oct 19, rosen inn, pop dec 19, POP, Rosen Inn, POFQ aug 22
disney babe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 18, 12:30 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by disney babe View Post
the drive is fine honestly, its so easy in US, big wide roads, no roundabouts.
we are flying into miami as much cheaper & having 3 nights there, we are buying go orlando cards as they include miami and doing some of the stuff there then using the rest in orlando
we loved the west coast in 2016 and going back in oct this year, disney is a lot smaller but great rides & american adventure is fab, we did anaheim, grand canyon, las vegas, san fran, hollywood inc universal, santa monica. have been to orlando 9 times & this was our best holiday ever
Oh gosh this sounds exciting! Maybe I'll reconsider!
Old 9 Mar 18, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post
disney babe
VIP Dibber

Oh gosh this sounds exciting! Maybe I'll reconsider!
msg me if you need any info, I researched for ages on the dibb and got loads of valuable info and decent hotels at great prices, also check out the west coast forum, that's where all my info came from
I. Drive july 92,DLP 98,99, 02, 04, comfort suites sept 03, southern dunes july 06, westridge july 09, RPR, orange tree, OKW july 12, chatham park, OKW oct 13, RPR, polo park east, AKL, july 14, CBBR, HRH, CBR, disney dream, BCV oct 15, La, Vegas, SF July 16, new york, GFV, CBR, BCV july 17, Miami, Rosen inn, CBBR july 18, LV, Anaheim Oct 18, rosen inn, aventura dec 18, Fl keys, AoA, portofino bay july 19, mirage LV oct 19, rosen inn, pop dec 19, POP, Rosen Inn, POFQ aug 22
disney babe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 18, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Worgie
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

We did Miami last year and are doing it again this year. We got some great deals by signing up to Groupon Miami so we did the adrenaline junkie boat ride (amazing), the millionaires boat cruise (lovely sunset cruise) & the hop on hop off bus tour. We got all of them much reduced.
Personally I liked Miami but didn't love it but DH & DS loved it & our other DS didn't come last year so wants to go. You can spend time on Miami Beach and there is plenty to do & see for a few days.
We stayed in a lovely little hotel called the Urbanica Meridian which was superb - we are staying there again this year. Some of the hotels on Miami Beach itself can be quite noisy so just read reviews on tripadvisor if you are like me and a light sleeper!
Old 10 Mar 18, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
letty
Imagineer

We are returning this year to Miami for 3 nights (Cheap flights). This will be our 3 rd visit. We really like it and my teen sons 19 and 17 are really looking forward to going back. We've done HOHO bus tour, Pirate Duck tour ( Not piratey at all LOL), visited Little Havana, hired bikes on Ocean drive. Hoping to visit Wynwood walls this year.
We have never used our hire car IN Miami, just to get in and out of it. There is a public bus that does a loop which is very cheap ( can't remember name just now) and lots of stuff to do on foot.
Old 13 Mar 18, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post

Thanks all for your encouragement. My girls have said they definitely want to do Miami, so it looks like a very brief stayover in an airport hotel before driving to Universal, and then return to Miami Thursday to Saturday. The Urbanica doesn't seem available right now for October.

I did explore the option of getting a bus from Miami and back again, but I'm not finding much positive about them!
Old 14 Mar 18, 05:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Worgie
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Thanks all for your encouragement. My girls have said they definitely want to do Miami, so it looks like a very brief stayover in an airport hotel before driving to Universal, and then return to Miami Thursday to Saturday. The Urbanica doesn't seem available right now for October.
You could try contacting the hotel direct for prices. We booked it about 6 weeks ago for the end of August so maybe they only release dates so far in advance
Old 14 Mar 18, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Mobile

Done Miami twice and left the car at the airport and used Uber and taxis to get to South Beach and back to the airport. Our kids loved it there. Big Pink diner does really good food with massive portions. We spent time on the beach, visited Little Havana, the Holocaust memorial, Lincoln Mall, botanical gardens, Wynwood and hired bikes to cycle along South Beach. Any questions, please ask. My kids were 16 and 13 when we went last summer and would love to return
2001 DLP hen weekend, 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge, 2009 Hotel Cheyenne (my 40th), 2012 WDW Orlando & St Petes Beach, 2015 Miami, Orlando & Clearwater. 2017 Miami and Cape Coral 2019 NYC for BFF 50th, 2020 Orlando (cancelled due to Covid ) 2021 NYC with the family
COL41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 18, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Mobile

We stayed at The Savoy and The Pestana. Both clean, safe feeling hotels in a good location
2001 DLP hen weekend, 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge, 2009 Hotel Cheyenne (my 40th), 2012 WDW Orlando & St Petes Beach, 2015 Miami, Orlando & Clearwater. 2017 Miami and Cape Coral 2019 NYC for BFF 50th, 2020 Orlando (cancelled due to Covid ) 2021 NYC with the family
COL41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List