Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 12 Apr 18, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile Using mobile with data/WiFi

We’re off to California for the first time in August and I’m wondering what to do about our phones.

In Florida we get by with WiFi but I’m sure I read that it can be hit or miss in California.

Neither of us have plans that include US, so is it better to look into add ons for the trip, different SIM cards (we’re both still in contracts though) or buying a payg our there.

We’ll be moving around a bit so want piece of mind that we have something in place.

We’ll be staying in Hollywood, Anaheim, Long Beach, Honolulu and San Diego. Obviously driving between these places (except for the flights to Hawaii &#128521

Thanks all
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 18, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
dst87
Excited about Disney

What carrier are you with? Many offer reasonable add-ons for USA even if it's not included like Three or EE. I've seen £3-5/day for access. It's not super cheap, but it's easy and it's not that ridiculous in the grand scheme of the trip.
dst87 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 18, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by dst87 View Post
What carrier are you with? Many offer reasonable add-ons for USA even if it's not included like Three or EE. I've seen £3-5/day for access. It's not super cheap, but it's easy and it's not that ridiculous in the grand scheme of the trip.
I’m with EE dh is with O2, I’ll look into the add ons, as you say it’s probably the easiest option.

We’re there for 22 days though so could work out a lot if I did it for both phones.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 18, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
dst87
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Bellasmummy View Post
I’m with EE dh is with O2, I’ll look into the add ons, as you say it’s probably the easiest option.

We’re there for 22 days though so could work out a lot if I did it for both phones.
Depending on which plan you're on, EE might be included for free. Any of their Max plans have it. Otherwise it's £4/day for some amount of data.

O2 are just evil and it's prohibitively expensive.

I was with Three, and that's probably still the best network for roaming, but switched to one of EE's Max plans last year and so far so good. I wouldn't consider any of the other networks, because free roaming in the US is important to me!
dst87 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 18, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

Just had a quick look and EE offer extended roaming for £10 per month.

Not seen this before so maybe it’s new.

Think this is definitely what I’ll go for.
Old 12 Apr 18, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
mrmoo123
Imagineer

I'm with Vodafone, it's £5 a day if you roam in the states but then that will use your UK call allowances and charges. As it's only £5 a day I just turn it on when we need to use it, probably a few days in 2 weeks so doesn't cost that much for us.

Otherwise I'd be looking at Three.
Old 12 Apr 18, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Previously over there I’ve used the £20 3 feel at home sim, but I’ve now swapped my contract to the EE Max plan so used that for the first time last month.

The three sim worked well though, just meant we had a different number for the time we were over there..
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 18, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

Just seen on another thread that the add on I looked at is for a minimum of six months 😱

I’ll call EE and see how much it is to upgrade to a max plan as it looks like you can downgrade afterwards.

If not I think a 3 sim is sounding like a good idea.

Thanks all
Old 13 Apr 18, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

We used the Three Sim as above. It was a good deal. You need to have an unlocked phone.
Old 16 Apr 18, 05:02 AM  
Link to this Post
lukeysmom
Helping Mickey

Mobile

I used three pay as you goon an unlocked phone, £15 for 5gb well worth it, wifi terrible in.disney needed for max pass.downloaded. maps offline too.