Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 23 Jul 17, 08:21 AM  
Link to this Post
TigerGirl
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Tor32 View Post
Enjoying catching up on this.
Thanks x
TigerGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 17, 08:22 AM  
Link to this Post
TigerGirl
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by DisneyDreamer81 View Post
Ooh that Island Burger sounds right up my husband's street! I will have to remember to get him one when we go to TL. Loving your report so far!
It was gorgeous. Definitely not one to share - lesson learnt!
TigerGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 17, 08:26 AM  
Link to this Post
TigerGirl
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Wimb88 View Post
Loving your report so far and reminiscing as we ate at most of the places you have so far. We loved Hoop-Dee-Doo also but unfortunately my family enjoyed the strawberry shortcake without me as I was nominated by them to be part of the show! Never felt as nervous in all my life but provided them with a good laugh at my expense
Oh my word - I would have loved that! Both DH and I are musical lovers and met at local Am Dram. If it makes you feel better, the shortcake was quite sickly - but maybe that was because DH and DS wouldn't touch it so DD and I had to make a large dent in it. Would have been rude not to!
Old 23 Jul 17, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Wismgari
Imagineer

Mobile

Great report so far! Looking forward to more 🙂
Wismgari is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 17, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie Mum
Imagineer

Mobile

Following along😊
Minnie Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 17, 08:05 AM  
Link to this Post
TigerGirl
Very Serious Dibber

Thanks guys. Hope to get the next day up tonight, it is Epcot - Sunshine Seasons and Akershus.
Old 25 Jul 17, 09:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Jaspercat10
VIP Dibber

Loving the report, xx
Old 26 Jul 17, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
TigerGirl
Very Serious Dibber

Day 6 - Epcot

Super excited to show the kids Epcot as it is our favourite park. We had the usual breakfast of croissants and pain au chocs using snack credits at Riverside.

We spent the morning walking around the Future world section, leaving the World Showcase until after lunch.

Lunch was at Sunshine Seasons. It was quite busy but everyone was pleased that they could choose their own lunch from the different counters. DS was especially pleased as it meant that he could choose an adult portion as it was a QS eatery.

DD went for the roast chicken leg with rice. This came with a small cookie and water. You will note that there is an added extra corn on the cob. DS chose the full pork chop with mash and sweetcorn for his lunch. He chose the corn as he knew DD would love it (bless him!) but wanted it off his plate asap so that none of the 'juices' would get onto his pork. The cashier struggled with this concept and wanted to charge us extra for the corn - it took an age to explain what we had done! Other customers were tutting and grumbling at this point!

The chicken meal was as uninspiring as it looks!

DS's lunch WITHOUT corn or corn juice!

This hunk was pork for delicious - I was actually allowed to try it which says a lot. It had a subtle bbq taste to it but not overpowering.

Both DH and I had the sweet and sour chicken and creme brulee for pudding. The sweet and sour was nice, lots of pineapple chunks. It was also nice to have rice instead of chips for a change.

The brulees were lovely, they had a nice caramelised taste and had a firm crack on breaking.

We had a quick ice cream and beer stop in France. L'artisan des glaces was lovely - loads of ice cream choices, macarons and waffles.
DD had a mint choc ice cream and I had a chocolate ice cream. DH had an overpriced Kronenbourg but he was happy.

After a long trail around the world (and a FP for the Frozen ride), we arrived at Akershus for our evening meal. I had chosen Akershus to save time in the line to meet the princesses and also because it was only 1 TS credit each.

We were met at the door by the most unlikely looking Belle I had ever seen. Unfortunately I don't have a photo of her, but you are going to have to take my word for it. We were promptly seated in the restaurant (whilst walking through we noticed how many messy tables there were) and were taken through the dining experience with several lovely servers. We were asked to look through the menu and were put under quite a bit of pressure to choose our mains. The starter was a 'Taste of Norway', which was an all you care to enjoy buffet including meat, fish, salads, cheese and bread. We all enjoyed choosing little bits and pieces but noted that our plates were taken away quite quickly, just in case we felt like going back ;-)

The princesses arrived in quick succession. Mulan was really hard going and DD struggled to get anything out of her. Aurora was lovely though and spent a long time talking to DS about fighting dragons and how to stand like a prince.

Back to the food (which came whilst the princesses were moving between tables). DD had a pizza (typical!), which was 'fine'.

DS went for Mickey check meal of chicken breast with seasonal veg (aka green beans) and rice. He went back to the buffet to supplement his meal... (you can take the boy out of Yorkshire... )

DH went for the for the pork chop which at the time came with a cheese and potato layer gratin and some other veg which I can't remember. He lucked out here as it was really nice.

I went for the meatballs, mash, gravy, green beans and lingonberry sauce. My only comparison is our favourite Swedish home interior store, but I actually preferred their meatballs. May be I am completely wrong here but I thought the Akershus meatballs were of a funny texture (gloopy mashed mince) and they were fairly tasteless. Now, I am not saying that IKEA's meatballs are haute cuisine, but on this occasion I preferred them (grabs tin hat and runs for cover)

Pudding was plate of Norwegian inspired deserts which included chocolate mousse, (cold) creamed rice pudding with strawberry jammy sauce and spicy apple and cinnamon cake. The mousse was nice but very rich, however, the kids worked their way through it, DH took care of the apple cake and I attempted the rice pudding. It tasted lovely but I couldn't quite get over the cold texture (it reminded me of school dinners in the 1980s where you were forced to eat everything up).

The kids had water, DH had a Carlsberg and I had a nice Pinot Grigio.

By this point, several large parties had arrived, the room was descending into marginal chaos with tables left unturned, tired children wailing for the princesses and servers looking fraught. We very quietly left after leaving a tip.

Would we go back? Probably not for the food, or the atmosphere. It served a purpose in that we met the princesses without queuing for them, it was only 1 TS each in comparison to Cinderella's Royal Table and we got to try a different type of cuisine. When we go back, in 2 years, DD will be 12 so I am guessing that she won't be too desperate to meet the princesses.

We watch Illuminations from the gondola point in Italy and had a lovely pink prosecco and Peroni to finish the day.

Old 26 Jul 17, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Jaspercat10
VIP Dibber

Sounds like it was nil points for Norway 🇳🇴 , sounds like chaos, and full 10 points for France 🇫🇷 those ice creams are delicious I had the apple pie one, can't wait to go back 😁
Old 27 Jul 17, 01:58 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDreamer81
Imagineer

DisneyDreamer81's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Just reading your description of Akershus made me feel a bit stressed! I don't think that one will be making the list any time soon! And I love IKEA meatballs, so no judgement from me!
2015 - Disneymoon! Caribbean Beach Resort & Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress
2017 - Yacht Club & Disney Dream
DisneyDreamer81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List