Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 19 Feb 18, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Andrea1
Apprentice Imagineer

Just a Moan about Pr-existing travel insurance

Just a bit of a moan about Travel Insurance prices.

When we got insurance in 2016, it was £103 for both me and my wife. I have Atrial Fibrillation which I take Arrythmol for. I am not on any blood thinners, and I hav'nt had an episode in nearly 3 years. So this price was good. (Should say, it was with Explorer Insurance)

Last year we took out insurance with Virgin Money, and it was £106. Again a good price.

I have been searching for a few weeks, and the above two insurance companies have come up with quotes in excess of £300. This seems to be a huge increase considering my symptoms hav'nt affected me in nearly 3 years.

Is this just companies ripping us off because they know we have to have travel insurance for pre-existing conditions?

At these prices I have been tempted to not mention my condition at all, or seeing if it would be cheaper to get 2 separate policies.

Okay, sorry, rant over. Any thoughts or advice would be very welcome.
James
Andrea1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 18, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Whatever you do please don’t be tempted to not declare your condition. Go on a comparison site to see a few quotes. Stay sure are quite good for pre existing conditions.
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 18, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Andrea1
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
Whatever you do please don’t be tempted to not declare your condition. Go on a comparison site to see a few quotes. Stay sure are quite good for pre existing conditions.
Hi. Thanks for your reply. Iv'e tried a few comparrison sites, but they all seem to come out really expensive. To be honest, the cheapest one I found was about £150. But it only covered £1000 cancellation and £250 excess.
James
Andrea1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 18, 12:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Talland 2016
Imagineer

Have you looked on the travel section of British Heart Foundation website ? They used to have a list of heart friendly insurance company
Talland 2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 18, 01:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Andrea1
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Never thought of British heart foundation. I'll have a look. Thanks.
Old 20 Feb 18, 06:06 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Andrea1 View Post
Hi. Thanks for your reply. Iv'e tried a few comparrison sites, but they all seem to come out really expensive. To be honest, the cheapest one I found was about £150. But it only covered £100 cancellation and £250 excess.
James
Hi James, as expected hubs saw a considerable price increase when he hit 71. Insurance increased from circa £700 for a couples policy (6 months cover) to quotes of £1700 and up. We've taken individual policies the last two winters, underwriters linked policies as travelling companions. Nov 2016 to May 2017 was circa £1300 with the AA, this winter we found good individual policy cover with Just Travel, click HERE, for £1110, £284 is my premium, the rest awld gadgey's My 180 day policy covers all medical associated with my 3 cancers and lower back damage. A couples policy was £2k more! The lass on the phone happily linked same underwriter individual policies free of charge. Just Travel discount; try Save15 in the discount code box, worked for me last November. If not, try via Quidco for cash back (no other discount code can be used) or Google search Just Travel discount codes.

Another company that may be worth trying, Go Walk About, who we used for years until hubs was ineligible for 180 days cover; GWA click HERE. I particularly liked that one has to ring the underwriter providing the medical screening. Grab a quote from GWA, if acceptable ring medical screening on 0203 829 6656 (available Mon to Fri 8am to 8pm and Sat 9am to 5pm). They'll ask which insurer then thoroughly take you thro your pre-existing, if you find the additional quote acceptable you pay them direct, they give you a code to enter when purchasing your GWA policy. I haven't used them for individual policies, so might be worthing ringing GWA first to ask if they'll travelling companion link free of charge, then talk to medical screening. As, in the main, it's you with the pre-existing individual policies may be cheaper. Also check Google for GWA discount codes.

Good luck, hope you find cover within your budget

Edited at 06:08 AM.
ChrisS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 18, 07:11 AM  
Link to this Post
KC2014
Excited about Disney

Hi I have had problems for this trip as well as both insurance companies we used before quoted more expensive premiums. I have a good quote from Get Going travel insurance which I did online then called up and got them to check through the details as DD has a rare heart condition not found on most online systems. Found them very helpful and I will be going ahead with the quite today.
KC2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 18, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
sophie1405
Imagineer

I have gotten my pre existing travel insurance on annual as it is cheaper than single insurance plus i can change use it throughout the year. maybe look into that.

Can't stay away <3
sophie1405 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List