Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 29 Mar 18, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
LunaNyteskye
Apprentice Imagineer

AKL Value/Standard Rooms

I have recently started looking into renting points for our next Disney stay. Looking on Daves DVC calculator there is a value room at Jambo House AKL, with no view, smaller than a standard and unable to request a room.

How much difference is there between a value and standard room? Is it worth paying the extra for a standard? Do AKL rooms have a balcony?

October 2009 Sequoia Lodge Disneyland Paris;
October 2011 Kissimmee Villa;
October 2013 Port Orleans Riverside WDW;
November 2015 Lake Buena Vista Resort Village & Spa;
November 2016 Hotel Santa Fe Disneyland Paris;
October 2019 Animal Kingdom Lodge WDW, DIBB Villa, Hard Rock Hotel & Grand Floridian WDW
LunaNyteskye is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 18, 07:26 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

First point is there are no rooms on David’s as such, all he does is list the point requirements. An owner would have to secure the room.
Value Studios at Jambo house go very quick, so would be difficult to get an owner to secure. It is possible, but unlikely you’d get an owner who would be on quick enough at 11 months to book. More of a chance in summer. If it’s a 1 bed in a quieter DVC time like summer you would stand more of a chance, I could have secured a 1 bed value myself this year on 7 months for 2 separate weeks in late July/ early August this year- I saw it was available when making my bookings.
So my advice is if it is a value studio you want, don’t get your hopes up much, your options could be only be Savannah or Standard View.
In terms of size, they are around a metre less. They do not have room for the sleeper chair, only the sofa. Doors open close to furniture.
They would be great for a couple. Fine with one child. I personally wouldn’t fancy 4 in one, but people sleep in smaller, but then again we are 4 and always go in one or even two beds so we like space.
Old 30 Mar 18, 07:34 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Oh, and yes, all rooms have balconies, albeit the value ones are slightly less deep I think.
The value rooms are at Jambo only, and on the Ostrich trail and Giraffe trail section of this map- parkinfo2go/dvc-akv/floor5.php
There is a 40% chance of a Savannah View, 40% chance of pool view, and 20% chance of car park view.
Old 30 Mar 18, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
LunaNyteskye
Apprentice Imagineer

Thank you. I get that there are no rooms on there, but I’d never really looked at AKL anywhere else as I’d always thought it would be out of budget so Daves DVC was the first time I’d seen mention of a Value room!

We’d love to stay there one day but understand that the rooms do go quick. Might book OKW direct as a backup but put my points request in and keep my fingers crossed. We’ve always wanted to try OKW too so we’ll be happy either way.

Edited at 11:50 AM.
LunaNyteskye is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 18, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by LunaNyteskye View Post
Thank you. I get that there are no rooms on there, but I’d never really looked at AKL anywhere else as I’d always thought it would be out of budget so Daves DVC was the first time I’d seen mention of a Value room!

We’d love to stay there one day but understand that the rooms do go quick. Might book OKW direct as a backup but put my points request in and keep my fingers crossed. We’ve always wanted to try OKW too so we’ll be happy either way.
You'll be able to rent a standard there (Jambo or Kidani) , it's just the values that will go very quick. If you get a standard points request in with David's early you will get an owner I imagine no problem.
Old 4 Apr 18, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
a11mark
Imagineer

a11mark's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Have you looked at the "DVC points available to rent" forum on the Dibb? We rented points for AKL from a DIbb member and it worked out great. We stayed for one night and loved it, we then went and spoke with DVC about buying into AKL and we very nearly went for it right there and then. But it wasn't the right time for us, but trust me when it is the right time for us we're in.

we're not far off for joining

If you do go and like it I highly recommend booking an appointment with DVC, they arrange to pick you up from your resort, they'll drop you off anywhere in the parks (we dropped off at the water park) food and drink, they'll take you on a tour at some mock up rooms they have and answer your questions. Iin no way did we think they were forcing us into something we didnt want and to top it off for spending your time with them they'll give you an additional 3 "tap and go" FP+ (no need to book FP,+ just go to a ride you want to go on and tap it) we saved them till our last day and had an amazing day at MK
Old 4 Apr 18, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by a11mark View Post
Have you looked at the "DVC points available to rent" forum on the Dibb? We rented points for AKL from a DIbb member and it worked out great. We stayed for one night and loved it, we then went and spoke with DVC about buying into AKL and we very nearly went for it right there and then. But it wasn't the right time for us, but trust me when it is the right time for us we're in.

we're not far off for joining

If you do go and like it I highly recommend booking an appointment with DVC, they arrange to pick you up from your resort, they'll drop you off anywhere in the parks (we dropped off at the water park) food and drink, they'll take you on a tour at some mock up rooms they have and answer your questions. Iin no way did we think they were forcing us into something we didnt want and to top it off for spending your time with them they'll give you an additional 3 "tap and go" FP+ (no need to book FP,+ just go to a ride you want to go on and tap it) we saved them till our last day and had an amazing day at MK
I’d recommend looking at resale, you’ll save $50+ a point.