Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 16 Mar 18, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
burns3466
Getting Excited

Let it snow, let it snow... the cold never bothered me anyway - going home

So, today we were going home... we did some last minute packing, dropped our cases off at the hotel reception, grabbed some breakfast and then went off to enjoy our last few hours in the parks.

It was still bitterly cold but we were mostly planning on doing some shopping so we'd be indoors for most of the time. We headed for the large Disney store in the village and had a good look round.

DD had spied quite a few things she liked over the course of the last few days and now just needed to decide what she was going to finally pick. She settled on a Jack Skellington t-shirt and a Mickey Mouse ring with her initial on it. She also got a few bits and bobs for friends back home. We bought her sister a rather lovely adult colouring book which had some really intricate and detailed animations in it (I liked this book myself!) and a soda bottle cap pin from 'Up' to add to her collection. I bought my husband a Scar t-shirt with the slogan 'I'm surrounded by idiots' which he loved, and as he is a chef, we also got him a pin of Mickey dressed in chef whites. DD got herself a Paris themed pin and she bought me a Mary Poppins one. We started collecting pins when we first visited Florida in 2008 and although we aren't hardcore collectors, we do pick them up from time to time for birthdays and christmas, or if there is a special edition pin we see that we like. We obviously couldn't go to Paris and not take a few back with us!

I wasn't really sure what to get for myself but I had some money left on my gift card so I settled on a nice photoframe that I can put a picture in of me and DD, as a reminder of our trip.

DD wanted to ride RnR one last time but I decided to step this one out...

As I was waiting for her at the exit, I noticed this Storm Trooper snowman that some creative fan had constructed

We used our last dining voucher to pick up some takeway food and drinks for the train journey home and then said goodbye to the parks

We collected our cases from the Eurostar desk in the station and then joined the enormous queue waiting to get through security. I have to say this stage of the journey was not the best experience. As first-timers, we were a bit unsure where we were supposed to go and there were hardly an staff about to askfor advice. We had to rely on asking our fellow passengers for help and I was surprised that a lot of them were just as confused as us! When we got through security, I was stunned to see that apart from a toilet, there was absolutely nothing else! Not even a coffee shop - nader, nicht, rien. It was freezing cold and you only had the floor to sit on. Thankfully we didn't have to wait too long before we were allowed down to the platform but I was then worried we were about to get on the wrong train because the departure time showing on the board was not the time we had on our ticket. We weren't the only people confused by this and various groups of us got together to try and work it out as there weren't any train station staff around to ask. One lady pointed out that the actual train number being displayed matched our tickets, so we should ignore the time it was showing. In the end, the train left at the time stated on our tickets and not the time stated on the board on the platform! We got chatting to two young girls (they looked to be in their early 20s) and we swapped stories and photos about our respective trips. I was pleased that one of the girls was just as freaked out by ToT as I was!

The journey home was fine and uneventful. We were surrounded by a lot of young kids with their parents desparately trying to keep them amused with a variety of snacks, drinks, ipads, movies, activity books, stories etc. They were all really well behaved actually and I think the parents did a great job (I don't miss those days! ).

Summary of trip
All in all, despite the unexpected snow fall, we had a really lovely time and it was a mini break we both desparately needed. We really liked the New York hotel and would definitely stay there again - although I've read somewhere the hotel is being re-imagined for Marvel This would be such a shame because as much as Disney is about kids, there are also 'big' kids out there who like it and don't get me wrong, I don't hate children (I have two of my own!) but when you are all a bit older, it's quite nice to have a more mature-themed hotel to stay in.

In every restaurant we dined in, we had a very good experience and had no complaints about the staff or the quality of food so definitely a fan of the DDP, although I have learnt that reservations should be made for dinner AND lunch!

Loved the castle and the dragon and the general theming in Magic Kingdom and all the cast members we came into contact with were all helpful and smiley Also loved the way everything is so easily accessible on foot. We got far more done then we expected.

Not many negatives really. I think if you have been to the American parks it's very easy to start comparing them to DLP but you have to remember they are just very different and should be appreciated as such. Having said that, I just didn't get the same 'vibe' in Paris as I did in Florida. The atmosphere seems a lot less Disney-charged somehow, people are not as overtly exciteable, it's all just seems a bit more reserved. One of the things I liked about Florida was that I could act like a big kid unashamedly and not feel embarrassed because that's how everyone else was acting, but I didn't feel that way in DLP.

DLP is obviously a lot more accessible for Brits but it ain't cheap. Having been there now, I would like to go back with the whole family for them to experience it as well, but I think given the choice, I'd rather save up for a bit longer and go back to Florida.

We did have a great time though and we came away with lots of wonderful memories from our first mother/daughter trip
Old 16 Mar 18, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Glad you had a good time.
Must admit DLP doesn't float my boat so despite the ease of getting there as we are on the direct line to Ebbsfleet we haven't visited in many years. For me I really feel the lack of pixie dust (and the sun !)
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 18, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post
burns3466
Getting Excited

Thanks Duchy. Yes, very different climate in DLP - real snow as opposed to Blizzard Beach style! From what I heard and read as part of my research before our trip, I think this park has definitely had to up its game i.e. improve the cleanliness of the facilities, the attitude and interaction of cast members with guests, the standard of food etc, and I am glad that we waited to go at a time when I think we were able to take advantage of these improvements. But as I said, we did have a wonderful time, but Disney World is still my preferred option. Thanks for taking the time to read about my exploits :-)
Old 23 Mar 18, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsSilverStar
Imagineer

Glad you had a great time. I've not been to an American park yet so can't compare them but I was really pleasantly surprised by how much we all loved DLP.

I've seen that snow stormtrooper pop up in a couple of trippies now I definitely want some warmth next time we go!
MrsSilverStar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 18, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
burns3466
Getting Excited

The stormtrooper was really excellent and it did make me smile! We did prepare ourselves for it being cold in February but the amount of snow that fell in a short space of time totally surprised us! Thanks for reading :-)
Old 5 Apr 18, 11:44 PM  
Link to this Post
redfox5
slightly serious Dibber

redfox5's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Love your trip report! Going for the first time in September and have been having serious doubts and wishing I had booked Florida instead. This has eased my choice and am now feeling excited again
Old 12 Apr 18, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
burns3466
Getting Excited

Awww..thanks Redfox5, glad you enjoyed it and that it's helped get you in the mood for September :-) I'm sure you will have a fabulous time!