Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 31 Mar 18, 08:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Twentyyears
VIP Dibber

March April email member perks

Have to say the hike to seventy five points minimum for perks unsurprisingly heralded a set of new perks, all be it ones that you pay for!
However the wine bar George and some others actually sound quite nice.
Still haven't got my act together in time to sort the Soarin tour out yet though
However we shall be trying the Disney Springs shopping morning on the 12th May!

Edited at 09:07 AM.
Twentyyears is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 18, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Apart from discounts on food and merchandise, Annual Pass (if you buy one) and Moonlight Magic (if you also own to be there ) I see very little value in these perks. That's why I'd never buy direct to get perks, although I have bought some direct points and have blue card. Apart from the 10% food discount and the 20% off an odd mug or T shirt, the perks do nothing for me at all.
These things they call perks you have to pay for don't seem like good value to me. $40 for wine tasting, probably mid afternoon, I don't have any interest in. Every so called perk just seems overpriced to me.
Then again I'm a grumpy old git.
Even the Soarin tour is no good to me because inexplicably they won't let a young teenager do it.
I keep living in hope a really good freebie/ at cost perk will come in, then I see what they charge for a badly cut down 'club' level at Reunion Station -$200 a day would get my family a nice hotel at most places.
Old 1 Apr 18, 07:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I struggled to get the Soarin tour booked. It was bang on 180 days as they say this is when you can book. I was in America when I rang so was withing 5 mins of the lines opening. Tour full!

But, the Guy then put us on the tour a week later so it appears the 180 days rule is not rigidly enforced.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 18, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Twentyyears
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Apart from discounts on food and merchandise, Annual Pass (if you buy one) and Moonlight Magic (if you also own to be there ) I see very little value in these perks. That's why I'd never buy direct to get perks, although I have bought some direct points and have blue card. Apart from the 10% food discount and the 20% off an odd mug or T shirt, the perks do nothing for me at all.
These things they call perks you have to pay for don't seem like good value to me. $40 for wine tasting, probably mid afternoon, I don't have any interest in. Every so called perk just seems overpriced to me.
Then again I'm a grumpy old git.
Even the Soarin tour is no good to me because inexplicably they won't let a young teenager do it.
I keep living in hope a really good freebie/ at cost perk will come in, then I see what they charge for a badly cut down 'club' level at Reunion Station -$200 a day would get my family a nice hotel at most places.
I get you, as we bought direct first time around cash and we are happy we did it, as we would have never done it now. Good deal at the time we thought.
I agree, a lot of the perks are geared towards adults so as we are empty nesters they maybe appeal to us more. We are also lucky to have been there when a free park event is on a few times, although I know they are not some people's bag. We loved the AK one but not the Typhoon Lagoon one.
Also it depends how you travel, we go more than our points will allow so with four adults last year, son and girlfriend, it was a good deal to do the free dining UK package and upgrade our tickets DVC gold AP and then fit in two more trips just us on our AP with a mixture of own points and a DVC rental.
We also got the TIW card discount so with three trips this helps.
I guess we also saw the combination of DVC discount AP which then got us the twenty percent shopping.
In the future we will probably aim at restaurants to get the DVC 10% and just get the gold DVC AP when it is worth it.
The other events are as you say, what floats your boat and whether they are worth it for you.
Twentyyears is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 18, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
wilma-bride
Imagineer

wilma-bride's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I struggled to get the Soarin tour booked. It was bang on 180 days as they say this is when you can book. I was in America when I rang so was withing 5 mins of the lines opening. Tour full!

But, the Guy then put us on the tour a week later so it appears the 180 days rule is not rigidly enforced.
The Soarin' Tour works the same as dining - it is 180+10, that is why they were able to put you ont eh tour the following week.
wilma-bride is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 18, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
The Soarin' Tour works the same as dining - it is 180+10, that is why they were able to put you ont eh tour the following week.
Thank you, never though of that. It will be interesting to have a little look at it and how the mechanics work. Not maybe the thing you do more than once especially as we have to get up early!

Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 18, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
wilma-bride
Imagineer

wilma-bride's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Thank you, never though of that. It will be interesting to have a little look at it and how the mechanics work. Not maybe the thing you do more than once especially as we have to get up early!
Unfortunately, you don't really get to see much of the mechanics of it. A lot of it is the history of the ride and some general info. Still an interesting tour though, we thought, and saves using a FP on Soarin' for that day We are doing it for the second time this summer, as there is a big group of us, some of whom haven't done it before. Not sure I will bother again after that though.
wilma-bride is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 18, 12:17 AM  
Link to this Post
lam
VIP Dibber

I'm also considering this tour, but it'll probably be booked out for our dates by now. I actually liked the old soarin better than the new version!
Just can't seem to get my head around new format and music. The old tunes and pics just keep flashing up in my head.

I LOVED this ride. Not quite as keen now.

3/01-Sheraton 4 Pts & WDW Contemporary.7/07-DLP Sequoia. 3/08-WDW Pop & POFQ. 7/08-DLP Sequoia.4/09, 3/10 & 4/11-WDW AKV, 7/11- Doubletree@Seaworld & AKV -03/12, 3/13- WDW AKV 8/14 [I]Cabana Bay,OKW & AKV.07/15-BVP,BLT & AKV07/17-POR,BLT & AKV.07/18-AKV-Jambo,Cabana Bay Beach, Beacon Hotel,New York..07/20TRIP CANCELLED- 10/21-Cheyenne,DLP-7/22-AKV, Coronado & Poly.12/23-AKV, POR,BLT &ASM
lam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 18, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
shepherdypie
VIP Dibber

Is the sourin tour free? Was trying to find a price!
Old 14 Apr 18, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by shepherdypie View Post
Is the sourin tour free? Was trying to find a price!
Hi. Yes it's free. It's under Member Benefits and without logging on I think its every Weds. 8.00am - 9.00am.
They give you a Ref No but it doesn't link to your MDE so you need to go armed with the number to be let in early at the gate!