Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 18 Apr 18, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Hotel 140 in Boston is wonderful and not expensive in comparison to lots of Boston hotels. Very close to Back Bay station/metro, Copley Square and the Prudential Centre. Lovely building and there's even a theatre there if you fancy what's playing! Great cafe across the street for breakfast called Flour. Easy walk to Boston Common.

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 18, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Puddle5
Apprentice Imagineer

Puddle5's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We stayed at the Omni Shoreham in Washington. Lovely hotel, MTR station across the road and a nice walk to Washington Zoo
Puddle5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 18, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post

We stayed the Sofitel, Washington DC. A lovely hotel and just a block away from the White House. In Boston we stayed at the Lennox hotel which was also a very good choice.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 18, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
sparklegirl
VIP Dibber

We stayed at the Fairfax on Embassy Row in DC and it was great. Fabulous location. I would recommend anywhere in Dupont Circe or Arlington to be honest. Even down at Pentagon City Metro will get you direct access into downtown in minutes. Wherever you chose just make sure there is a metro nearby and you won’t go wrong.
sparklegirl is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 18, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Team Jeans
Imagineer

We stayed at Loews Hotel in Backbay, next block from Flour (fab bakery, great for breakfast) and train station. Rooms were nice and had nice lounge with complimentary hot drinks.

Just back from Washington and stayed in Westin, Downtown (there is also one Georgetown). Only cost $300 for two nights for four of us, through Hotwire, but was £800 booking direct.
Old 27 Apr 18, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by sparklegirl View Post
We stayed at the Fairfax on Embassy Row in DC and it was great. Fabulous location. I would recommend anywhere in Dupont Circe or Arlington to be honest. Even down at Pentagon City Metro will get you direct access into downtown in minutes. Wherever you chose just make sure there is a metro nearby and you won’t go wrong.
We are staying 5 nights and have a car - so $60 per night parking is mounting up. Also we will not be staying in centre of Washington every day, so I am looking at staying further out near a metro station. Maybe Falls Church or somewhere - has anyone ever done this?
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 18, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Whilst I cannot help you with Boston (Until August of 2019), I can most certainly help you with Washington D.C!

We stayed in the Doubletree by Hilton, which is just across the Potomac and right next to Reagan Int Airport. These are the reasons why I am keen to reccomend it.

1. Location. It is a $5 taxi ride to the Lincoln Memorial, passing the Pentagon on the way. It is equally near to the Arlington and may well even fit in with either your arrival and departure. It was $25 to the Railway Station.
2. Views. This Hotel has the Skydome rotating restaurant on the 13th floor. It turns around once every 12 minutes and the views up the night time floodlit Washington Mall to the Washington monument and Capitol are absolutely fantastic.
3. It is of a good quality, whilst at a decent price.
4. A taxi to Dulles (for either the airport, or one of the Worlds leading aviation museums (free entry) ). Was $75. You are on the right side of the City.
5. Parking is $37 per day.. a steal by Washington Standards.

Hope it helps. Hotels are a difficult thing to reccomend as everybody has a different perception of good, different budget and different priorities. I would reccomend this one without hesitation.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 08:20 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 18, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Team Jeans
Imagineer

Originally Posted by georgemac View Post
We are staying 5 nights and have a car - so $60 per night parking is mounting up. Also we will not be staying in centre of Washington every day, so I am looking at staying further out near a metro station. Maybe Falls Church or somewhere - has anyone ever done this?
We found DC very walkable, (even with 11 & 13 year olds)but got metro tickets. Arlington and Pentagon are only one stop apart for example. My husband was desperate for a Cheesecake Factory, so we popped to Clarendon in Virginia and it only took us 15 minutes to get train, then switch back to Downtown. When I booked on Hotwire, (blind booking site) I narrowed my search, to Downtown and 4*, which gave me a breakdown of hotel amenities, which I compared against the hotels actual website. Personally I wouldn't bother with a car in the city, unless I was going a huge distance - metro was very efficient and cheap. Day ticket is $14.70 per person, plus $2 to initially buy the card.
Old 27 Apr 18, 05:11 PM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by Team Jeans View Post
We found DC very walkable - Personally I wouldn't bother with a car in the city, unless I was going a huge distance - metro was very efficient and cheap. Day ticket is $14.70 per person, plus $2 to initially buy the card.
We will have the car anyway, return it in Baltimore when we fly home, and I want to use it to go to the new museum out beside the airport and will drop my wife off at a mall and then pick her up, and we are having at least one day away from Washington in Virginia - if we stay in the centre - will still have to pay around $300 for parking - even when not using the car.
I was thinking we would be $30 per day for the Metro for the two of us, so further out with free parking looks better for us.

My only other alternative is to drop the car off and leave it at a Metro with overnight parking.
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 18, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Puddle5
Apprentice Imagineer

Puddle5's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Whilst I cannot help you with Boston (Until August of 2019), I can most certainly help you with Washington D.C!

We stayed in the Doubletree by Hilton, which is just across the Potomac and right next to Reagan Int Airport. These are the reasons why I am keen to reccomend it.

1. Location. It is a $5 taxi ride to the Lincoln Memorial, passing the Pentagon on the way. It is equally near to the Arlington and may well even fit in with either your arrival and departure. It was $25 to the Railway Station.
2. Views. This Hotel has the Skydome rotating restaurant on the 13th floor. It turns around once every 12 minutes and the views up the night time floodlit Washington Mall to the Washington monument and Capitol are absolutely fantastic.
3. It is of a good quality, whilst at a decent price.
4. A taxi to Dulles (for either the airport, or one of the Worlds leading aviation museums (free entry) ). Was $75. You are on the right side of the City.

Hope it helps. Hotels are a difficult thing to reccomend as everybody has a different perception of good, different budget and different priorities. I would reccomend this one without hesitation.
We stayed at this hotel first time we went to Washington and agree with Cornish frog that it is a nice hotel, not as nice as the Shoreham but then a considerable difference in price. There was a very regular mini bus when we stayed that took you to the local metro station.
Puddle5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List